Frenched Eggs Recipe

Eggs are one of my favorite foods — from sweet to savory, eggs work well in all situations. I chose eggs as the theme for this month’s Food Fight, as the ingredient fit nicely with the Easter holiday soon approaching.

For the Food Fight, I decided to make a simple, savory meal — one I created recently. I call it ‘frenched’ eggs. The dish came about one weekend while I was figuring out what to make for dinner. I love the sweet, richness of french onion soup but didn’t have any beef broth. My pantry and fridge were fairly bare, but I did have a few basics on hand. I decided to utilize the flavors of french onion soup but use it as a background for baked eggs.

This meal makes a good breakfast, but also works well for a light lunch or dinner. Enjoy!

Frenched Eggs

2 eggs
1 large yellow onion, cut into 1/4″ slices
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese (swiss works well too)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
salt and pepper

My preference is to use an iron skillet, but any pan will do. Place over medium heat adding butter and olive oil. When melted, add the sliced onions and sprinkle with sugar to help in the caramelization. Cook onions for 10 minutes until they turn a golden brown, do not stir too often as you want them to caramelize.

Crack eggs on top of the onions and season with salt/pepper. Sprinkle cheese around the eggs, then add the thyme. Continue cooking over medium-low heat until eggs are set. If you prefer over-easy, cover the pan with a lid so that the top of the egg is also cooked.

Serve with crispy slices of bread. Serves 2.

• Paros Shepherd March 28, 2007, 9:01 am

Do you use store bought or farm eggs?

Our eggs here on a small island in Greece taste so much better than what we buy in the USA!

Also these ingredients are perfect for Greece.

Thanks.

• Paula March 28, 2007, 9:02 am

Oh YUM!

• Allen of EOL March 28, 2007, 9:21 am

Unfortunately, I use store bought eggs. I grew up using our own farm-raised eggs and I agree that they are much much better!

• Elle April 5, 2007, 9:44 pm

Of all the egg recipes in FF#1, this is my favorite. Figures since you are the host and love eggs. This one will be added to my breakfast menu for sure. Thanks! Great job hosting FF#1, too.

• Susan in Italy April 6, 2007, 2:10 am

How intriguing! I’d never heard of “Frenched eggs” the ingredients make me think of a dry French onion soup with an egg on top. What’s not to love?

• Paula April 29, 2007, 2:19 pm

I made a variation of this for lunch today…red onion, precooked bacon crumbles (made for the bacon toffee, but I can’t seem to get around to making it), rosemary, and co-jack cheese. I will be making this again!

• Min June 12, 2008, 9:13 pm

March?? Have I been away this long? How did this post escape me? This looks delicious…and I’m envisioning a few grated potatoes mixed in with the onions! Mmmmm.

• Min June 13, 2008, 7:16 am

Aha! 2007! I don’t think we’d “met” back then…but I am sure looking forward to these eggs in 2008! ;-)

And i miss fresh chicken eggs too…

• Melissa October 14, 2008, 6:18 pm

We made this for dinner tonight and it was freaking amazing. I made it exactly as you called for, except I doubled it because my husband’s a bigger eater than I am. I love this and I love you for posting it. I never would have thought to make this on my own, and now I’ll have it for the rest of my life. I owe it all to you!