I want to feel sexy …

I am the lonely celeriac, also known as celery root. I sit on the produce shelves waiting for someone to take me home. Day after day I am overlooked. I hear the whispers and rude comments made about my looks and awkward shape. I’m ashamed of my looks and just want to feel sexy …

Imagine how you’d feel if you sat around while people rushed by commenting on your fat bumpy bottom:

… making comments on your goofy hairstyle:

What is a foodie to do. I felt sad for this little guy. His face was one that only a mother (or hungry foodie) could love. I didn’t know how I would prepare it, but I grabbed the biggest one I could find.

I stumbled across a recipe from the Mayo Clinic site (who knew they had time to write recipes?) for a Braised Celery Root. It’s simple to make and contains sour cream and fresh thyme. Yum!

The celery root is firm like a turnip and is similar to peel. I sliced off the skin and cubed the root into 1″ pieces. It’s quite fragrant and smells just like fresh celery.

I simmered the cubes with chicken stock until slightly soft, about 8 minutes. While I reduced the stock, I tasted a piece. It has a nice soft, somewhat creamy texture and is very mild tasting. It’s slightly sweet with just a hint of celery taste.

Once the chicken stock reduced to 1 tablespoon, I stirred in a teaspoon of dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, and 1/4 cup sour cream. I mixed to combine and then added in the celery root until warmed through. The sauce is light with just a slight tang. It doesn’t overpower the taste of the celery root at all.

And if I do say so myself, it made the celery root sexy :-)

• Manggy February 26, 2008, 1:22 am

Bwah! Nothing wrong with a fat ass, unless it’s bumpy…

Anyway. I’m not sure I’ll ever get to see celeriac here. I’ve seen a celery plant all the way to the root and it didn’t have anything special down there. Do they do anything weird to celery to make the root all starchy and turnip-y? I think you need to request celeriac specially from the farmer, or grow it yourself here.. Its gotta be something I’ll try when I’m in the states :)

• Peter M February 26, 2008, 4:14 am

Yeah, it’s a fugly veggie but it tastes so good!

• vegeyum February 26, 2008, 4:41 am

I just love celeriac, having discovered it in London last year. Really enjoyed your post.

• Ginny February 26, 2008, 6:52 am

My boss/friend introduced me to celeriac…we both agree it is an ugly but delicious vegetable. It really does not get enough play! Your dish looks delicious!

• Astra Libris February 26, 2008, 10:50 am

Such a clever, witty post! You definitely made some sexy celeriac… :-)

• kellypea February 26, 2008, 6:10 pm

Okay, so I need to give it another chance. But only because it’s so ugly. I made a cream of celeraic soup once, as well as parboiled, then sauteed with shallots…and we all sort of looked at each other. Mind you, I’ve subjected my troops to everything you can imagine over the years, so when we are at consensus about a veggie, it’s doomed. Of course we could do the whole Mr. Potato head thing. We’re strange like that.

• Allen February 26, 2008, 6:16 pm

manggy: all i know is that the celeriac is a different variety of celery (hopefully not engineered) that produces this type of root. You’ll have lots of grocery shopping to do when you visit!

peter: fugly is a good word for it :-)

vegeyum: thank you!

ginny: glad that someone turned you onto it too — thanks!

astra: thank you for noticing my sexy celeriac :-)

kellypea: give it one more shot before you write it off. This recipe was simple yet flavorful. Was it the taste you didn’t like?

• Heather February 27, 2008, 11:39 am

You’ve been spending too much time with kohlrabi, Mr. Celeriac.

Celeriac makes an excellent slaw with a nice, zippy remoulade.

• Cenk February 27, 2008, 4:48 pm

Hi Allen – Thanks for the comment you left at my blog. I am very happy to meet another GG fan. This celeriac post of yours is such a coincidence. I recently cooked a traditional Turkish dish with celeriac and was planning to write a post about it. Yours look fantastic btw..