Orange Sour Cream Cake w/Orange Icing

Orange Sour Cream Cake

My favorite use of oranges so far — a rich and moist orange cake drizzled with a sweet orange icing. It was the perfect end to our dinner party last night. I’ve used this recipe to makes cakes for giving away as presents — everyone raves about it (just see the comments below!).

The cake is something I’ve been thinking about all week. I’ve never had an orange cake before and have been fantasizing about what it would taste like. This sour cream cake has a wonderful texture and the fresh orange flavor sends it over the moon.

Orange Sour Cream Cake Recipe

3 tablespoons fresh orange zest

Orange Glaze

1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons orange juice
1 tsp. fresh orange zest

Cake Instructions

Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease pans with butter and lightly dust with flour.

In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Slowly add the sour cream, eggs and vanilla until thoroughly combined.

In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients, mix until smooth. Add orange juice and zest, mix to combine.

Place into prepared pans. If baking in 1 pan, bake for about 1 hour or until cake tests done. If baking in 2 pans, bake for about 30-35 minutes or until cakes test done.

Glaze Instructions

Whisk together the powdered sugar, orange juice, and zest until a think glaze forms. Drizzle over the cake once cooled.

Orange Sour Cream Cake

The cake is a refreshing burst of tangy orange, especially during these winter months when it’s so dark and dreary outside. The cake also makes for a perfectly good breakfast …. I just had a piece with coffee … so good!

Orange Sour Cream Cake

• Geggie February 24, 2008, 9:03 pm

I’ve been looking for something like this. Love it! I’m thinking about adding a little almond to it somewhere, I love almond and orange together.

And, I’m late in commenting, but wow, thanks for the glowing review of my Grampa’s shortbread. I knew you’d love it!!

• Kevin February 24, 2008, 9:13 pm

An orange cake sounds really good! It looks good too. You can see the nice bits of orange zest in the cake.

• Astra Libris February 25, 2008, 9:15 am

Oh my, look at the texture of your gorgeous cake! Perfect! Heavenly! Mmmm, your recipe sounds so scrumptious… I love the inclusion of sour cream…

btw, I fixed your Hearty Barley and Lental Soup recipe last week, and it’s f-a-b-o-u-l-o-u-s!! It turned out perfectly – the flavors and textures are incredible. This is a recipe I will be returning to frequently… Thank you so much for the incredible recipe!

• Manggy February 26, 2008, 1:07 am

That looks yummy! I especially love the addition of sour cream into the batter. How do you think the moistness rates? It’s a very important factor for me when it comes to american cakes :)
    Still no scurvy on the home front, heh heh :)

• Allen February 26, 2008, 6:30 pm

geggie: there you are! the original cake recipe used almond flavoring and i removed it, but i get it would be good with the orange. Thanks again for sharing your shortbread recipe – we had friends over and they loved them too.

kevin: thanks! the zest adds so much flavor, and makes it look nice too

astra: sour cream is the key ingredient (i think), just makes it so much more moist. So glad to hear you enjoyed the barley/lentil soup!!

manggy: do you think american cakes are too moist or not moist enough? This cake is moist, not sure how’d I’d rate it though :-)

• Manggy February 26, 2008, 9:53 pm

That was supposed to read more like, “If it’s an American cake, it should be moist.” Haha :) Usually through oil, sugar, sour cream, yogurt, or buttermilk. Only Angel Food cake should be relatively dry, which is why it’s best served with fruits, cream, or curd/preserves.
    European cakes I don’t mind so much as they are usually brushed with syrup and the fillings and frostings are piled on high :)

• Becca February 27, 2008, 12:36 pm

Now I am not a big fan of cake. I would rather have my calories come from brownies as a rule.

But this cake looks delicious! I cannot wait to try this myself! I am not, by any means, a baker, but I am willing to give it a go for this one. Orange zest rocks. :D

• Paula March 3, 2008, 4:02 pm

OMG! This is an incredibly delicious cake. I wish I had a piece in front of me to help describe it, so forgive me if I leave anything out…fresh, creamy, dense, light, and moist. I’ve now let my neighbors (and my cat) try it (actually my cat insisted) and I’ve been asked to share the recipe (oh, how I wish my cat could bake!).

• angela October 6, 2008, 3:08 pm

I tried this recipe last night and it turned out really well. I didn’t have the powdered sugar for the frosting so i just improvised and made a syrup on the stovetop with the orange juice, zest and granulated sugar (half the amount called for in powdered sugar) it made a really nice thick orange marmalade like glaze. fantastic. i also spooned a bit of sweetened condensed milk over the top for a bit of richness and it did the trick. Thank you for the fantastic recipe. i think this cake might even have been better the day after as a snack with a cup of coffee. thanks again!

• Carli December 14, 2008, 10:22 pm

I made this tonight after searching for a really good orange cake recipe. I had a box of Clementine tangerines and needed to use them, this did the trick!

Some quick substitutions:

I didn’t have enough sour cream, so I used part sour cream, part creme fraiche, part lemon yogurt to make the amount recipe called for. There was a weird curdling thing that happened when I added the dairy to the butter/sugar/eggs, but fixed itself when dry ingreds went in. (cold dairy into room temp eggs?)

Used clementines instead of oranges (close enough, I figured)

Turned out delicious! I made 2 8×8 cakes (one for home, one for the office)

• Karen January 12, 2009, 5:32 pm

OMG!!! I was looking for something to do with some oranges my boss brought in from her mother’s yard. This is the one I chose and, WOW, am I glad I did!!
    This cake is absolute heaven. The frosting has a little bite to it and it makes it perfect.
    Thank you so much for sharing.

• Bonnie January 27, 2009, 10:17 pm

Orange cake is one of my preferred desert’s, actually I have alway’s made the recipe into cup cakes with the icing. Wow, good recipe! Auntie Syl

• Kris @The Back of the Cupboard June 15, 2009, 2:58 pm

This is the MOST FANTASTIC cake recipe! The only downside is the fact that if you don’t give it away or share a good portion, you will end up devouring it yourself. I’m making it again tomorrow for a friend that is visiting, since I’ve been raving about it ever since the first time I made it. Thank you so much Allen for posting the recipe!

• Lilly June 17, 2009, 12:41 am

Thank you so much for this delicious recipe!! It was perfect! I made it and featured it on my blog today!
    happy baking, Lilly

• Tim July 3, 2009, 10:37 pm

This looks great! I am going to make it tomorrow with the addition of some dried cherries soaked in rum.

• Regan July 15, 2009, 9:19 pm

Wonderful recipe! I made this for my husband’s birthday, and topped it with ginger buttercream and fresh candied orange peels. It was excellent-moist and tangy. Thank you!

• Laurie July 28, 2009, 7:10 pm

I made this recipe for my cake decorating class. Since I have to practice decorating cakes I like to try new recipes as well. This one was amazing! I made it on Saturday and brought it into my work today (I think it gets even better after a few days in the fridge). Everyone was raving all day at how dense and moist it was. So thanks so much for posting it. It’s definitely going in my recipe collection.

• Elena Perez September 11, 2009, 8:21 pm

I followed the recipe exactly and I have a cake dry, not enough sugar and very little taste.

• Amber October 9, 2009, 2:21 pm

My cake is in the oven right now and I am so excited! I used mango orange juice and instead of orange frosting I’m using mango frosting. Also, I used two round cake pans for the recipe and I’m going to use mango pudding instead of filling for in between. It’s for my husband’s b-day and mango and orange are his favorite flavors. Thank you for posting your recipe!

• Amber October 10, 2009, 10:30 am

My cake turned out great! It was maybe a little heavy on the mango. Next time I’ll do an orange filling instead. The important thing is that my husband loved it and it was so light that he had two pieces in a row!

• Tracy Carr October 22, 2009, 1:00 pm

flour – did you use self-raising, all purpose or cake?