Orange Marmalade Recipe

This is my first successful batch of orange marmalade utilizing the oranges from our backyard. I tried using a recipe from Tyler Florence once upon a time and it failed miserably. Finally, success!

The recipe makes 6 half-pint jars, however I ended up with 7 plus a little extra that I put in the fridge. I’m actually not a huge fan of marmalade, but this is pretty tasty — sweet, bursting with fresh orange flavor, and not bitter at all.

Growing up we canned everything from the garden — green beans, tomatoes, dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, salsa, chili sauce, pickled beets, concord grape juice, raspberry jam, strawberry jam, peaches … the list goes on. In today’s world, canning just doesn’t make sense and a trip to the grocery store is more convenient. I miss that connection to the creation and preservation of food. Ahh well, I’m blabbing on. I’ll keep my philosophy to myself for now (or spill it out in a cookbook someday!) :-).

Back to the marmalade. Disappointed that Tyler did me wrong last time, I searched around again this year for a new marmalade recipe. I came across a PDF file from the University of California @ Davis which provides detailed guidelines for how to preserve oranges (PDF). It’s an amazing document. I also want to try raw packing the oranges for canning, but that’s for another day.

The recipe and canning instructions are contained within the file I referenced so I won’t repeat them here. The process took me about 1 to 1.5 hours to complete which isn’t too bad. The key is prep everything and have it ready to go, since the last 30 minutes is when all the action happens.

I used a combination of navel oranges and meyer lemons. I didn’t want to end up with a bitter mess, so I took time to remove as much pith as possible from both the peels and flesh. For the peels, I used a teaspoon and ran it on the inside of each peel and the pith came right out. I should note that my oranges were fresh picked and they seem to be more tender and easy to work with than store bought (which have likely been sitting around awhile).

The cooking process is simple and if you set a timer, all will go well. You cook the peels for 20 minutes, then add the cut up flesh and cook another 10 minutes. You measure out 4 cups and add the pectin, followed by the sugar. If all goes well, you end up with a big pot or dark orange gunk. Here is a pic of the pot just after I removed it from the stove and prepared to place it into the jars. It’ll be fairly runny at this point, but don’t worry. It will thicken as it sets.

I mentioned the other day that we’re having dinner on Saturday with a couple friends. The marmalade is one of the door prizes (and also my attempt and using our citrus before it falls off the tree). On Friday, I’m going to make small orange cakes to send home with them too. Unless I get another burst of energy, the gift baskets will include fresh oranges/lemons, a small orange cake, a jar of marmalade, and a bag of citrus peel candy. Fingers crossed that my friend’s like oranges :-)

Regardless, I fell in love with the little half-pint jars. They’re so squatty, aren’t they kinda cool?

You might also like these posts:
Zucchini and meyer lemon muffins
Poached egg with basil and meyer lemon confit
My take on Big Sur Power Bars

• A. Grace February 20, 2008, 3:09 am

those may be most awesome jars i’ve ever seen. no, they definitely are.

also, i find tyler florence annoying and completely useless as a chef. just needed to get that off my chest. :)

• Peter M February 20, 2008, 4:34 am

I’ve had success would Tyler’s dishes…but hey, we all have our bad days.

As an adult, I’m grown to like marmalade (orange) and I see you too like the jam/cream cheese combo…try it with raspberry jam too!

• StickyGooeyCreamyChewy February 20, 2008, 7:04 am

I’m not a big marmalade fan either, but I had some homemade once and loved it. This is a great recipe for using up all those oranges falling off of my tree! I’ll bet it would work with grapefruit too.

Your marmalade looks lovely, and the jars are adorable. Where did you find them?

• Manggy February 20, 2008, 9:30 am

I don’t have marmalade very often (sugar!!! hehe), but I love it. It’s great in ham sandwiches too. It’s great with salted butter in a sandwich, which is probably why I’m doing sit-ups mandatorily now.

Those bottles look so chic and cute at the same time. (I thought the intent was to use up oranges, though, heh heh :) How long do you think the marmalade lasts?

Ooh, I’m not a Tyler Florence fan, sorry, I know you are.. He’s an okay chef and he really gives good tips but I can’t watch Food 911 (is that still on there?), it’s too cutesy and I thought I was watching Blind Date with all the gimmicky graphics and sound effects. I prefer my chefs to be uptight in manner but fluid in movement, like Jacques Torres. (okay, I notice he’s once again a pastry chef…)

• Allen February 20, 2008, 9:47 am

a. grace: wow, someone isn’t a fan of Mr. Florence :-)

peter: yes, i love cream cheese with jams! there’s a really good raspberry jalapeno jam that i buy which is amazing with cream cheese

stickygooey: i’m sure it would work great with grapefruit. The jars are Ball elite platinum series. Apparently, it’s a contemporary series they now offer. I had the hardest time finding any canning supplies locally. I finally found these jars at our local hardware store (Orchard Supply Hardware).

manggy: if i keep making marmalade, i can keep giving it away as gifts :-) it’s my goal to fatten up everyone else!

Another Tyler hater *sigh* it’s ok. Actually, I don’t regularly watch any of his shows, I just like the down-to-earth concept of him. I like that he’s not arrogant or uptight :-)

• Sarah C. February 20, 2008, 10:00 am

Yeah, so although your marmalade is amazing I really want to know about those jars. Where did you get them? Seriously though, let me know because I want to make this lemon and vanilla marmalade for gift giving but havent found a suitable container. Those would be perfect.
    BTW, your pictures are gorgeous!!

• Sarah C. February 20, 2008, 10:05 am

Ner, sorry and nevermind. Its amazing what can happen when you learn to read!

• michelle @ Us vs. Food February 20, 2008, 10:16 am

i love marmalade, and i love those jars. the color of the finished product is fantastic. i wish i lived in a climate where i could get citrus that hasn’t been shipped halfway around the world.

i find tyler florence unwatchable as a TV chef, but have had good luck with some of his recipes. his shrimp and grits are amazing.

off to buy some jars, filling TBD!

• Nicole February 20, 2008, 11:40 am

I never used to be a big fan of orange marmalade but it’s grown on me over the last couple of years. I really want to try making my own this year with some oranges from my sister’s house. It will be my very first experience with canning! Wish me luck :-)

• Kevin February 20, 2008, 9:06 pm

Making your own orange marmalade sounds good. Great photos!

• Gretchen Noelle February 20, 2008, 9:37 pm

Beautiful pictures!

• Allen February 21, 2008, 1:53 am

sarah: oh, lemon and vanilla marmalade sounds good! Let me know how it turns out — I wanted to play with the flavorings of this first batch, but decided to follow the recipe the first time out. I wanted to play with savory flavorings, like orange rosemary or orange mint — maybe next time! I went to the store again tonight and they were out of my jars, so I had to get less pretty ones.

michelle: i hope you figure out a good filling for your jars!

nicole: don’t be scared, i thought it was fun to make … and it tasted so much better than i thought it would — best of luck!

kevin: Thanks, Kevin!

gretchen: Thank you, Gretchen!

• B. Astard February 21, 2008, 1:29 pm

What is the white stuff?

• Allen February 21, 2008, 2:20 pm

b. astard: i smeared my bread with a bit of cream cheese before adding the marmalade — i like the combo of cream cheese with jams etc.

• Passionate baker...& beyond February 21, 2008, 11:08 pm

Those jars are PRECIOUS…& more so because they’re filled with lovely marmalade. Made some last month but with bitter-oranges. Delicious…yours looks great too & I love any marmalade. Lucky souls who won the jars!! I keep my marmalade in the frridge for upto a year…till the next canning season!! Cheers

• Allen February 22, 2008, 6:22 pm

passionate baker: Thanks! how do you use your marmalade? i’m curious if you use it to build marinades or use it baking, just looking for more ideas

• Erin December 23, 2008, 6:12 pm

Thanks for the recipe, I’ve tried it and so far, delicious! I found the same jars for a previous project at Walmart. Score!