Ciabatta Bread (in less than 5 hours)

I’ve been craving bread lately, nice thick slabs of chewy and crusty bread, good old European style bread. I’ve looked through my books and nothing sparked my interest. By dumb luck, I happened across a recipe last night for a quick to make version of ciabatta. I love the texture of this bread and knew it could be fit into my schedule for today.

The recipe comes from a bread forum that I haven’t read before, but the photos looked fantastic. The only confusing part of the recipe was the type of yeast involved, since the recipe didn’t specify. Other recipes on the site utilized mostly instant yeast and based on how the ingredients were combined (yeast mixed with flour, not proofed), it seemed as though the recipe was using instant yeast. I wasn’t able to locate instant yeast at my store so opted to use active dry yeast.

I checked several reliable references who stated instant yeast and active yeast could be interchanged measure for measure, however typically active yeast needed to be proofed first. I worried and pondered for awhile. When I finally looked at my yeast package it stated that it could be used without proofing as long as the water temperature was increased. Perfect! Oddly, the original recipe didn’t many anything about water temperature.

The recipe measurements were in grams, so I converted to ounces and weighed everything accordingly. I’ve included both the original measurements and my conversions:

Ciabatta bread
500g bread flour (17.6 ounces)
475g water (2 cups @ 120 degrees)
2 tsp. yeast (active dry)
15g salt (.5 ounces)

The ciabatta dough is noted as being extremely sticky and gooey due to its high water content. I followed the directions as stated, with the exception of using water warmed to 120 degrees. All of the ingredients are dumped into a mixing bowl and roughly combined, then allowed to rest for 10 minutes. After the resting period, turn on the mixer and beat for 10-30 minutes until the dough pulls away from the sides and bottom of the bowl. This took about 10 minutes using a medium speed on my mixer. Since the dough was so moist, I used the paddle attachment on my mixer instead of the dough hook. I don’t think a dough hook will work due to the softness of the dough.

Pour (yes, pour) the ciabatta dough into a greased bowl. The dough is the consistency of stringy pudding, pardon the expression but it’s kind of ‘snot-like’ and unlike any other dough I’ve worked with. Don’t add more flour, just go along with it.

I preheated my oven to 200 degrees and then turned it off. This creates a warm environment for the dough to rise. Place the covered bowl in a warm place (i.e. my warm oven) to triple in size, about 2.5 hours. I covered the bowl with a greased piece of tin foil.

After tripling in size, use a spatula to scrape the dough from the bowl onto a heavily floured surface. Cut into 2 or 3 pieces, spray with grease and dust with flour, and allow to sit for 45 minutes. When I removed the dough from the bowl, I tried not to punch it down too much but just let it fall onto the work surface, then cut in half and separated the two pieces. I gently rubbed with a bit of olive oil before dusting with flour.

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees while the dough is resting. Place 1/2 cup or so of flour onto a half sheet pan so that it has a thick coating of flour. After the dough is done resting, pick up one piece of the dough and in a single motion turn it upside down on the sheet pan while also stretching it to about 10″ in length. Even though the dough rested on a heavily floured surface, it still stuck. I didn’t have a dough scraper, so used a big cleaver to scrape the dough off the work surface and turned it upside down on the baking sheet.

The dough will look as though you’ve damaged it — fear not. Just don’t fuss with it. Repeat with the other piece of dough. Turning the dough upside down will help to redistribute the bubbles inside the dough. You want to be gentle with the dough so you don’t knock all the bubbles out of it.

Place the baking sheet onto the center rack of your 500 degree oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the bread reaches 205 degrees. I’ve never used a thermometer on bread before, but did so. Mine took the full 20 minutes.

I removed the bread and it looked amazing. This is where my patience falters and I become anxious to dive into what I’ve made. I let the ciabatta set for 15 minutes before slicing the first piece. The bread was crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. As you can see, it had the incredible bubbles throughout the dough. The texture is chewy, just the way it should be. I am in love.

The flavor is lightly yeasty and the texture is so chewy. I’ve read that due to the quick nature of this bread that it won’t be as flavorful as one requiring a sponge created overnight. I think it’s great, but will have to try a full-length version of this bread. I can hardly wait to make a panini out of it but will save that until tomorrow. I’ve already eaten too many slices and need to slow down for today. It wouldn’t be good to eat 2 loaves of bread in one day … or would it? :-)

• Peter M March 3, 2008, 5:25 pm

Allen, this Ciabatta looks too good for a 5 hr. process and too hard to ignore.

I’ll have to try this method out.

• Ginny March 3, 2008, 6:19 pm

Looks delicious! Much better than the ciabatta i tried to make a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the recipe!

• Clay March 3, 2008, 7:10 pm

Wow – this looks amazing! I’m so impressed.

• Ben March 3, 2008, 7:34 pm

I’ve made the long version of this bread before and I loved it. I don’t do it too often because I like my whole-wheat bread better (trying to balance health and food is not always fun, hehe) But yours looks really good for a 5 hour ciabatta. Now I want some paninis.

• Kevin March 3, 2008, 8:11 pm

Looks good! Ciabatta is one of my favorite breads. Bookmarked to try.

• Manggy March 3, 2008, 9:17 pm

Ciabatta is one of my most favorite breads but the recipe has (surprisingly) intimidated me, because it’s always a little vague. “Slipper shape? What the hell are you talking about? Here slippers are flip-flops!” Good work with yours. Lovely “nooks and crannies.” :)

• Erin March 4, 2008, 6:44 am

Personally I think that slice of bread needs a little more butter ;)

Great images!

• Allen March 4, 2008, 10:02 am

Peter: Thanks!

Ginny: Thank you! Hope you’ll give it a try and see how it compares to your other ciabatta experience.

Clay: Thank you!

Ben: I almost added some whole wheat flour for the health factor, then decided not to mess with the recipe just yet!

Kevin: Thank you!

Manggy: You noticed my nooks and crannies – yes, they eluded my english muffins, but I’ve achieved them in my ciabatta! Flip-flop shaped ciabatta will be just fine – do I detect a bit of perfectionism in you? :-)

Erin: I’ve been waiting for someone to point out that I missed a few spots with my butter knife :-)

• Astra Libris March 4, 2008, 12:50 pm

This looks absolutely brillient! Wow! I can’t wait to try it!

• Allen March 5, 2008, 1:17 pm

Astra: Thanks! I just finished the last of the ciabatta last night and now I’m going through withdrawal :-) I need to make some more!

• kate March 10, 2008, 9:24 am

Completely inspired by your post I made this yesterday and it was delicious. However, I was thrown off by the 18 ounces of flour- I was at home with no internet or scale.

So…I did it with four cups of flour and got a delicious bread- but much more of a standard dough, not the snot-like pourable stuff in the description.

So…I tried again with two cups of flour- this was completely liquid and bubbled but never rose, so I added in about a cup more flour (but it didn’t get beaten in) and let it rise some more. This was, I think closer to what it should of been and also delicious.

So… any advice? How many cups of flour? Would the two have worked if I had beaten it more and really let it rise and rise.

• Allen March 10, 2008, 10:11 am

Kate: Sorry to hear about all the experimenting! I think you were close to the right amount.

Using weight measurements is most precise since there isn’t any possibility for deviation, 1 pound is 1 pound. When converting from weight to volume measurements, there is alot of room for error.

For example, if I scoop 1 cup of flour directly from my flour bag, the flour will be compacted. I will have much more flour in my 1 cup than if I had filled the cup by shaking in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time.

Curious to test this out, I just ran into the kitchen and tried both of these approaches. :-) I used a big soup spoon to scoop the flour from the bag and shook the flour onto the scale. I then took this flour and poured into my measuring cup. The 17.6 ounces resulted in ~3.5 cups of flour.

I then did the reverse to see how close I would be if I had used just my measuring cups. I used a measuring cup to scoop flour from the bag then leveled with a knife. I took the measured flour and weighed it. Using this method, 3.5 cups of flour weighed 22.5 ounces! A difference of 5.9 ounces.

I would suggest measuring your flour by using a spoon to fill your measuring cup and aiming for 3.5 cups of flour. This should give you a close approximation of the weighed flour.

It’s important to note you should be using bread flour as this has a higher gluten content and also helps to attain the correct texture.

I attempted ciabatta yesterday using a regular ‘full method’ as found in a recipe from Epicurious. It was a disaster — taste and texture were both bad. I’ll post photos later today.

Let me know how this turns out for you.

• Allen March 10, 2008, 7:02 pm

Ok, bad math — the difference should be 4.9 ounces, not 5.9 :-)

• kate March 11, 2008, 12:15 pm

Thanks.

I will definitely make this again- either way it was delicious. It may be time for this amateur cook to invest in a kitchen scale!

Kate

• Anonymous March 13, 2008, 11:19 pm

Very nice! I used your hydration ratio – very high but it works. Reduced to 1/4 tsp inst. yeast and 1 tsp salt. fermented overnight and to just contain it poured ciabatta fashion into two silicone forms. Tremendous. Many thanks.

Reg from South Africa