Fresh strawberry ice-cream for Spring!

Fancy a bowl of springtime-infused, fresh strawberry ice-cream?

This sweet, rich ice-cream is simple and quick to make. It is my entry into this month’s Monthly Mingle hosted by Eat the Right Stuff. The theme is ‘Spring Fruit Sensations’ and what can be a better introduction to Spring than bright red strawberries!

Although the plump strawberries recently hit the market it was Kevin’s post at Closet Cooking for a strawberry sour-cream bread which served as my kick in the pants to pick some up. Unfortunately, the consistently horrible produce at my local grocery chain left me disappointed as I stared at half-rotten, slightly moldy berries for $3 a quart. Even at this sale price, I was too disgusted to buy them.

Fortunately, there are usually several neighborhood street corners where local farmers set up stands to sell 6-quart flats, so I decided to drive around and find one. It’s way more strawberries than I needed, but decided I’d figure out what to do with the leftovers. I found a street vendor near our local park and he only charged $10 a flat (and the berries were MUCH more fresh!).

I rushed home and cleaned my berries (eating many in the process). I tend to follow the ice-cream base recipes found in the Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book. I realize a few of you will wrinkle your noses and wonder why I haven’t latched onto a copy of David Lebovitz’s Perfect Scoop. Ben & Jerry came into my life first and therein lies my loyalty. I haven’t reviewed David’s book, but I’m sure it’s as wonderful as everyone says.

Fresh Strawberry Ice-Cream

sweet cream base
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream (or whipping cream)
1 cup milk

strawberries
1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 cup sugar
juice from 1/2 lemon
zest from 1 lemon (optional)

Combine strawberries, lemon juice/zest, and 1/3 cup sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Once strawberries have refrigerated, prepare the sweet cream base. Whisk eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the sugar and continue whisking for a minute longer. Add the cream and milk, stir until fully combined.

Combine the strawberry mixture into the sweet cream base. Pour into an ice-cream mixer and mix according to mixer instructions. I use a small Cuisinart ice-cream maker which works pretty well. It took 30 minutes to reach a soft-serve consistency, at which time I put it into the freezer to finish firming up.

I rolled out a sheet of puff pastry and cut into 4 squares. I placed each square into a large muffin tin and baked for 12 minutes. The puff pastry bowls seemed a bit more fun and we enjoyed eating them while watching a movie last night.

Lightly sweet and super creamy, the ice-cream is full of lovely strawberry chunks. The ice-cream is perfect for a sunny Spring day like today. I considered also add in fresh mint that is growing crazy in my garden, but wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I might explore this next time :-)

If you’re looking for tips on selecting an ice cream maker, read this article: Ice Cream Makers: Hand Crank vs. Electric

If you like this dessert, you might also like my recipe for baked peaches with amaretti stuffing, figure-friendly rhubarb crisp, or blueberry-oat bars.

• Peter G March 30, 2008, 5:21 pm

So lovely and fresh Allen. Nothing beats home made ice cream. Just beautiful.

• Erin March 30, 2008, 5:41 pm

That looks gorgeous! I could never have an ice cream maker in my house unless I kept it locked in a closet and gave the key to my boyfriend to hide in some secret place. Any less security than that and I’d create and eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You must have tremendous will power :)

• Allen March 30, 2008, 5:55 pm

Peter G: Thank you – homemade ice-cream is the best!

Erin: Haha! Actually, I make ice-cream only about once a year and often get in trouble for having an infrequently used appliance taking up space. Joe enjoyed the ice-cream, so I figure I’m safe for another year.

• Manggy March 30, 2008, 6:01 pm

Gorgeous ice cream, Allen– it’s nice to hear that it’s creamy. That’s my #1 fear when it comes to making ice cream, that it’ll emerge icy and crunchy. “Not good eats.” I hope my Cuisinart manages (though I hear I’ll have to operate in an airconditioned room). I bought some unfamiliar flavors to make my first ice cream memorable to me, I’m just looking for a window of time to make it (and a perfect recipe).

Oh, and ewww to the moldy strawberries. It’s great, though, that you have several options to choose from. Go Cali!

• Peter M March 30, 2008, 6:59 pm

One of my fave ice creams, but isn’t it for all? ALso, how come I always have a hard time finding strawberry at the market?

I’ll just have to make my won like yours…nice work Allen/

• Ben March 30, 2008, 8:23 pm

Oh yeah, ice cream! That would perfectly with a party cake ;)

• Anonymous March 30, 2008, 8:55 pm

Very nice recipe! I made mine in an old fashioned ice cream maker that requires ice and salt. Everybody loved it!

• Geggie March 30, 2008, 10:11 pm

Sadly, I’m not a strawberry ice cream fan. I prefer them plain.

I made two batches of vanilla this week. The best was from The Perfect Scoop. It did turn a tad crystally…any suggestions?

• ruthEbabes March 31, 2008, 7:39 am

I was looking forward to reading this! It looks delicious! I looooooove strawberry ice cream.

You’ve just reminded me to get a move on with my monthly mingle entry too!

• Kevin March 31, 2008, 7:51 am

That fresh strawberry ice cream looks so good! The strawberries from the local farmers are always the best.

• Patricia Scarpin March 31, 2008, 11:09 am

I’m dying to eat strawberries again, Allen – don’t ask me why, but here we find them in the winter. This is mean. :)

• Chuck March 31, 2008, 11:51 am

Looks great, Allen. I was thinking about getting the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment. This recipe gives me more incentive to get one.

• StickyGooeyCreamyChewy March 31, 2008, 12:04 pm

This looks soooo good! I’m a nut for strawberry ice cream. You should use the leftover berries for the Strawberry Seduction event at Mike’s Table. I think the deadline is 4/4.

• farida March 31, 2008, 1:55 pm

I have never made ice cream at home, maybe because there are so many available in the stores and I thought why bother? but now I think it is worth giving it a try, because nothing can replace anything homemade! Your ice cream looks delicious! Summer is coming so is my craving for ice cream:)

• Penelope March 31, 2008, 4:14 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! The ice cream looks gorgeous and I can’t wait to try it at home. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve linked to this post from my party planning blog to help readers with recipes for Spring. Feel free to check out our site for free online invitations, party planning tips and more. Thanks again!

Best,
    Penelope

• Allen March 31, 2008, 5:06 pm

I’m clearly getting slow in my responses to comments, I apologize. I read the comments as they come in for moderation and publish them. In my mind, I reply to them … but later realize that I haven’t actually replied to them. *sigh*

Manggy: Ooooh, what flavors will you be using??

Peter M: You definetly need to try making your own, it’s always much better.

Ben: Do you know of any good party cakes??

Anonymous: I grew up with the type of ice cream maker that used salt and ice! It always turned out wonderful!

Geggie: Hmmm, bummer about the crystals. According to the Ben & Jerry’s book, the speed at which your ice cream is frozen will dictate how noticeable ice crystals are. The faster it’s frozen, the less ice crystals. You may want to try only mixing for a shorter timeframe and immediately freezing. My ice cream maker will never churn it to a fully solid state, so I stop when it reaches a soft-serve consistency (about 20-30 minutes).

Ruthebabes: Thank you!

Kevin: Thank you!

Patricia: oh no … sorry for tempting you :-)

Chuck: if you get the attachment, let me know how it works. I should probably get the attachment instead of having an entire separate appliance :-)

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy: Ohhh, will have to check out the event — thanks for the heads up!

Farida: Thank you – I hope you give it a try some day!

Penelope: Thank you!

• Cafe Johnsonia March 31, 2008, 6:56 pm

And now I know what to make with the strawberries I just bought today. Looks so good!

• Linda April 1, 2008, 7:32 am

that’s it. i simply MUST get myself an ice cream maker!

• cakewardrobe April 1, 2008, 9:19 am

isn’t homemade ice cream soo much better? Your strawberry icecream looks so lovely!

• abby April 1, 2008, 12:30 pm

allen, allen, allen – what a beautful looking icecream! and as you say, a perfect contribution to the monthly mingle.

• RecipeGirl April 1, 2008, 2:36 pm

It looks perfectly fresh and refreshing for sure!! An ice cream cookbook is one that I need to pick up. My post today is about a strawberry dessert too :)

• Jen April 2, 2008, 1:59 pm

Strawberry is my all time favorite ice cream flavor… I wish I had an ice-cream machine so I could try to make this myself.

• Meeta K April 12, 2008, 7:02 am

I love the speckles of fresh strawberries peeking out of the ice-cream. I have to give this a try as soon as strawberry season comes around!

• Sugar B June 21, 2009, 6:29 pm

Thank you for posting this. I just made it and it tasted fantastic. Cannot wait to have this for tomorrow’s dessert!

You’re awesome. :)

• IrreverentMommy July 15, 2009, 9:07 am

Found this via google – looking for a strawberry ice cream recipe – I’ll be trying this one! Thanks for posting!

• Spike D Punch July 26, 2009, 10:24 pm

For those of us with various dietary restrictions, could the recipe be revised to use Splenda instead of sugar? For those who must avoid milk products, do you think using soft tofu instead of cream and soy milk might be good, or a big disaster? Fortunately, I can still eat strawberries. Recipes for the “rest of us” would be greatly appreciated.

• Ice Cream Lover August 13, 2009, 1:14 pm

Spike D Punch, The cream and milk are all about the fat content. I suspect a lot of texture and flavor would be lost with your substitutions. I think Splenda would work, or even honey if that’s not a problem. The Ben and Jerry Ice cream book explains it well. I am also a follower of the B&J ice cream book and it never lets me down.