Indulge in a homemade candy bar

Exquisite semisweet chocolate covered homemade Payday bars. Rich. Chewy. Salty-sweet. Pure love in a bar form.

I remember when JLo started to make a splash in Hollywood back in the 90s. She was known first as a dancer, then she moved into acting. When she approached singing, everyone gossiped whether she would be a triple-threat. With these candy bars, I move beyond baking and cooking to dip my toes in the confectionery world. While I am no JLo triple-threat, thanks to these candy bars my butt is now approaching the size of hers.

It all started with a craving for peanuts. I went to Costco last weekend and bought an abundant supply of the roasted nuts, a big family-size dual pack. Two big jars. God bless buying food in bulk.

I posted awhile ago about how to make Payday candy bar treats. They are super simple to make and taste like the real thing and for a fraction of the cost. I wondered what it would be like to dip the treats in chocolate and decided to make this my quest for the day.

I whipped up the treats and let them set for about 45 minutes before tipping out of the pan. I put them onto a cutting board and sliced them into 1″ strips crosswise, then again in half to form candy bar sized treats.

I heated 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. It took about 2 minutes to reach a fully melted consistency.

I fully admit that I am not a candy maker. I did not temper anything, and to be honest, I didn’t have any of the right equipment. Fondue forks proved helpful in dipping each bar into the chocolate and I used a spoon to smear the chocolate all over each piece. I laid the bars onto a silpat mat to cool and harden. I sprinkled the tops on half of the bars with chopped peanuts for an extra little kick.

The candy bars turned out gorgeous – of course, every parent knows the flaws in their children and I know a few of these babies had aesthetic issues. But, I loved each one equally. Since the bars didn’t harden within the first minute (ugh!), I was forced to move them into the freezer for a quick chill (yes, my impatience kicked in).

They came out of the freezer 10 minutes later and I sliced a candy bar in half. It was magical. Chewy on the inside, salty-sweet, peanuty, chocolately. JLo would have been proud.

It was a dirty job but somebody had to do it.

• Anonymous March 19, 2008, 11:34 pm

Hey Allen – they look to die for……and oh…..sexy butt! q

• Peter G March 20, 2008, 2:56 am

Now these are a treat! Yummo is all I will say Allen. That chocolate looks amazing on those bars!

• Peter M March 20, 2008, 7:22 am

Allen, that’s very adventurous of you…your own Allen bar!

One of my favourites has to be the Bounty Bar…loaded with coconut.

• Ben March 20, 2008, 8:04 am

That is a big butt! LOL
    They look really good, but I really don’t need any (I am dying to have one, though) If I keep eating so many treats my ass will soon be the size of JLo’s and Britney’s combined. LOL

Great treat and pictures, though.

• Patricia Scarpin March 20, 2008, 8:07 am

Allen, I would not mind at all having chocolatey fingers – these are worth it. :)
    And I had a laugh with your J.Lo comparison. As a Brazilian, I see big butts all the time. lol

• JR in Sweden March 20, 2008, 9:57 am

Whoa, the picture of the finished product made me say OOOOOOHHHH. Out loud. Involuntarily. I SHALL make these.

• Marianna March 20, 2008, 10:29 am

Omg these are so cool-looking!! I’m gonna have to try making them one of these days!

• michelle @ TNS March 20, 2008, 11:03 am

ooh, those look good. i think i love payday bars, but then when i eat one they’re never as good as i expect them to be (i eat them infrequently, so i guess i forget how underwhelming they are). this looks like the cure.

i’ve done truffles and toffee, but never candy bars. now i want to invent one, so i can name it after myself.

• Allen March 20, 2008, 2:34 pm

Anonymous: Haha — thank you!

Peter G: Thank you, Peter!

Peter M: I’ve always wanted my own candy bar, but this isn’t it! Maybe someday I’ll put my mind to crafting a unique bar. I’ve had a Bounty before and they are quite good!

Ben: Find, no big butt for Ben. Go back to your prickly pear salad and forget about sweet treats :-)

Patricia: Haha! I did enjoy licking my fingers :-) I suddenly have the Sir Mix-Alot song in my head, “I like big butts and I cannot lie…”

Jr in Sweden: Glad you like them – you’ll make all sorts of noises when you bite into them too!

Marianna: Thank you!

Michelle: I am the same way with Milky Way bars. I always think they’re wonderful until I bite into one. :-)

• kat March 20, 2008, 2:50 pm

oh man heaven!

• Kevin March 20, 2008, 7:35 pm

Making your own candy bars sounds like fun! The payday treats sound good and then you cover them in chocolate…mmm…

• Manggy March 23, 2008, 7:15 am

Funny as always Allen :) The only way you’d approximate JLo now is if all your recent output sucks and you’re married to an apparent vampire. Oh, and had twins. Hahaha.

Your lack of pro equipment certainly doesn’t stop you from producing yummy treats, so snaps for you! :D

• terri March 23, 2008, 6:46 pm

I am new to this site..what is a bounty bar?

• Allen March 23, 2008, 8:56 pm

Kat: Thanks!

Kevin: Thank you!

Manggy: You’re back!

Terri: Bounty is the name of a coconut candy bar, but it’s not available in the US. It’s similar to a Mounds bar. Glad you stopped by!

• Elana March 28, 2008, 8:34 pm

These look delightful! Can’t wait to make some!

Elana

• Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor" June 13, 2008, 11:51 am

Allen, these look marvelous. Kudos on your “confectionery” adventure. I’ll definitely have to try these sometime this week.

• HoneyB August 1, 2008, 7:54 am

These look delicious – I love the inside :)