Orange marmie muffins with cardamom pine nut streusel

The star ingredient for these muffins is my very own ‘marmie’ (orange marmalade). The muffins are light and sweet with ribbons of orange peel running throughout. They are topped with a pine nut and cardamom spiced streusel which adds a crunchy texture. I’m in love with this creation, especially since it puts my many jars of marmalade to good use.

I’ve been thinking about this recipe for a few days, determined to find a use for my marmalade. I toyed with the idea of using it as a center for the muffin but was concerned whether it would just melt away. I considered combining it with cream cheese to create and a creamy orange center. At the end, I decided to stir the marmalade into the batter and create a strong orange flavor in the muffins with bits of sweet orange peel scattered throughout.

The pine nut streusel came to me as I was trying to figure out how to jazz these muffins up a bit more. Orange muffins sound great, but not all that exciting on their own. I recently made an orange icing for an orange cake, but decided it would be repetitive if I went down the icing path. Streusel came to mind and then I remembered there were pine nuts in my pantry.

Usually, cinnamon is my spice of choice in baked goods. I reached for the jar and then realized I hadn’t used my newly purchased cardamom. The mix of orange with pine nuts and cardamom intrigued me. The three flavors seemed as though they would blend nicely together, so I gave it a shot. I was not disappointed with the end result. Cardamom has a fresh pine-like flavor, or at least I think so :-) You get a hint of it mixed with the toasty rich taste of the pine nuts. Both the spice and nuts mixed perfectly with the orange muffins.

Heaven. Simply, wonderful. The aroma coming from the oven was overpowering and I knew I was on to something magically good. The muffins rose up beautifully and the streusel (heavily sugar based) created a sweet crust on top. I considered going with a more flour-based streusel to make it more like shortbread crumbles. I might try this next time, but enjoyed the crispy coating this streusel created.

After the muffins cooled (and I had eaten one), I took the photos. As I finished cleaning up, the realization hit me that I had so many muffins (and, I still had a polenta cake on the counter). To make matters worse, I recently froze an entire orange cake since there was no way we could eat it. Seriously, I’m baking way more than two people can consume and I’m not sure what I’m going to do.

Fortunately, my Foodsaver came to the rescue and I sealed a few muffins for freezing. There’s a limit to how much our freezer can hold though, so this method won’t last for long.

For now, the majority of muffins are frozen. I will make them again and play with the recipe some more, but overall it’s pretty solid and good as-is.

I base most of my muffin recipes off from my great-grandmother’s recipe and find that it never fails. Below you find the details for making these muffins, if you try them let me know!

Orange marmie muffins

Cardamom pine nut streusel
1/2 cup pine nuts, half of them chopped finely
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
2 tablespoons butter, softened

When making muffins, I don’t follow alot of procedure. Muffin batter is pretty forgiving and I’m not one to fuss around. Add the dry muffin ingredients to a mixing bowl, add wet ingredients, and stir to combine. Simple! Pour into a greased muffin tin, filling each muffin cup 2/3 full.

For the streusel, use a fork (or your fingers) to mush the ingredients together. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon over the top of each muffin.

Bake the muffins in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins test done. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the muffin pan. Makes 12 muffins.

• Manggy March 2, 2008, 1:35 pm

I can see why you would stick to your family’s recipe. That crumb (and rise) just looks perfect. I think this is a great way to incorporate marmalade (better than hollowing out the center– too sweet), but for future reference, if you ever need to fill only the center, just use a pastry bag fitted with a Bismarck tip. If it’s marmalade, it has to be pureed, though, as those peels will not slip through the hole.

I think you should just ask Joe to take muffins to his co-workers. It’s a lot easier than having a bake sale ;) (though… you can make money, heh heh) Co-workers are a godsend to dessert-makers, which is why I should be employed ASAP.

Thanks for giving me ideas on how to use cardamom. But… “pine-like”?! I don’t know what to do with that, hahaha :D

• Allen March 2, 2008, 2:02 pm

Manggy: pine-like? Hmm, I think so … but, others may feel differently. I’ve had it alot in Indian sweets and pine is the first flavor that leaps to my mind. You have a jar … taste it and tell me what you think :-)

• Peter M March 2, 2008, 2:28 pm

Allen the topping kicks butt. Get that pot of coffee on, we’re having muffins!

• Melissa March 2, 2008, 3:34 pm

these look AMAZING. I’m definitely going to try them.

I’m not a fan of pine nuts, though (I know, I know, I’m the only one), but maybe I’ll try pecans? Pecans are good with everything.

Bookmarked!

• Ben March 2, 2008, 5:05 pm

Note to self: Never visit Allen’s blog again with an empty stomach unless you want to suffer with those beautiful pictures. Hehehe

• Jessy and her dog Winnie March 2, 2008, 6:37 pm

Those muffins look yummy! I love the flavor of oranges!

• jd March 2, 2008, 7:26 pm

These muffins look amazing!

I can’t wait to try making a veganized version of them – I’ll have to let you know how they turn out…

Hopefully mine will taste (& look) as delicious as yours :)

Thanks again!

• Brilynn March 2, 2008, 7:46 pm

Those look fantastic! My Aunt just gave me a jar of marmalade that she made so I’ll have to give them a try!

• Allen March 2, 2008, 8:14 pm

Melissa: Pecans are always a perfect substitute and if you don’t have cardamom, cinnamon would be good too!

Ben: Hehe … I have the same issue with your blog!

Jessy & Winnie: Thank you!

JD: Please let me know how the vegan version turns out and I’ll update my post to link to it :-)

Brilynn: Thanks for stopping by — I hope you give these a shot, but don’t forget to enjoy some of that marmalade on its own too :-)

• tigerfish March 2, 2008, 9:06 pm

THis is such a “ingredient-packed” muffin. Too bad I don’t have any talent or skills to bake.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

• Astra Libris March 2, 2008, 11:56 pm

Oooohhhh, these muffins look and sound incredible… I adore “Marmie,” and I’ve never tried it in muffins – yum! I can’t wait to try these!

Three cheers once again for our sheep farm MeMe in common! :-)

• Allen March 3, 2008, 11:10 am

Tigerfish: Thanks for stopping by!

Astra: BAAAAaaaaahhhh!:-)

• Kevin March 3, 2008, 7:03 pm

Those muffins look good. I am always looking for way to use cardamom.

• Min March 26, 2008, 4:26 pm

I am making these to fulfill my 4-1/2 year old’s request for “muffins with pine nuts” to take to preschool. I also posted them on my Bad Girl’s Kitchen food blog, with a link to yours, of course! You can check out the post (and our blog!) here: http://bad-girls-kitchen.blogspot.com/
    (and I’ll be back to let you know what I think!)

Incidentally, I’m originally from Michigan too. Where are you from?

• Allen March 26, 2008, 5:17 pm

Min: a 4 1/2 year old requesting pine nuts? You’ve taught your children well :-) I certainly hope they are a hit with the preschool crowd, please let me know.

I’m from a very teeny tiny town in the very center of Michigan called Maple Rapids. It’s north of Lansing near St. Johns. I went to college and lived in Grand Rapids before moving away. What part of Michigan are you from?

• Min March 27, 2008, 12:56 pm

The preschool consensus is in!
    8 preschool boys:
    6 ate muffins as is.
    1 picked off pine nuts first.
    1 refused to taste.
    The teacher liked them. And so did our 2 year old!

I love the muffins–the flavors are subtle and unexpected, altogether delicious. (and for some unknown reason, I had absolutely no issues with altitude and baking time!?)