Banana and Orange Muffins

Last month, I entered the Taste & Create food blog event which pairs two food bloggers who must each make a recipe from the other’s site. Unfortunately, my partner didn’t follow through so it was a little disappointing and not nearly as exciting as I’d hoped. Regardless, I was able to look through all of the other pairs and see many interesting dishes.

I decided to chalk my experience up as a one-time issue and give it another go for April. This month I am paired with Karolcia of Poland who writes For the Body and Soul. She had many tempting dishes to choose from and I decided to make these Banana and Orange Muffins.

Karolcia adapted this recipe from a cookbook early one morning while her husband slept. She wanted to surprise him with a sweet breakfast, something that she didn’t necessarily like but knew he would enjoy. How sweet of her to do this (and at 6am!).

You’ll find the complete recipe from Karolcia’s site, noted above. The recipe is easy to make and uses only a few basic ingredients. Not only did it allow me to use up a couple aging bananas, but I was able to use the last few fresh oranges of the season. I feel guilty that the orange tree still has fruit on it but is already blossoming.

The recipe is provided in metric measurements so I converted the measures. I know I made a mistake on the flour … as I was measuring I became distracted by my dog and lost count of how many ounces I had added to the bowl. I tried my best to err on the side of having enough flour — it looked about right :-)

The muffins are super moist and loaded with banana and orange flavor. I added a sprinkle of sliced almonds to half of the muffins for an extra little crunch. I also used a smaller size muffin tin, so my muffins are on the small side (just means I get to eat more of them!).

Although I enjoyed the muffins, I regret not making the Mushroom and Sauerkraut Pierogi. I debated and debated, then realized I was running out of time for the event. Ultimately, I didn’t have the pierogi ingredients on hand but I promise to try those in the future!

• Elle April 22, 2008, 3:58 pm

You know, those are two flavors I don’t normally think of putting together, but I’ll bet they’re fantastic! they sure do look good!

• Peter G April 22, 2008, 4:35 pm

Oranges and bananas are a great combination in sweets. I love the addition of the almonds on top for these muffins.

• Patricia Scarpin April 22, 2008, 5:31 pm

Allen, these look so good, my friend! The ingredients you used here are such favorites of mine.

• Ben April 22, 2008, 6:12 pm

I’ve never had oranges and bananas together other than in a big bowl of fruit salad. Hmmmm, muffins. Oh how I suffer with this auto-imposed “diet”
    Hehehe

• Allen April 22, 2008, 7:58 pm

Elle: thank you! The banana and orange tasted great together.

Peter G: I love nuts and slip them in whenever I can :-)

Patricia: thank you!

Ben: Why have a fruit salad when you can have a fruity muffin? :-)

• Manggy April 22, 2008, 8:46 pm

Great shots, Allen :) How long before the great deluge of oranges? Ha ha :)

Did it make ten pieces? It comes down to about two and a half teaspoons of oil per muffin, so that’s pretty good (*per* muffin, lol). I’m sure you used one of those oils with high polyunsats.

• Pixie April 22, 2008, 11:48 pm

There’s nothing better then muffins that are very easy to make and taste so good. I think the combination of flavours sound perfect together.

• RecipeGirl April 23, 2008, 11:42 pm

I’m with Elle… I don’t know if I’ve ever put those two flavors together in a baked good, but it does sound like it might be terrific!

• Arundathi April 24, 2008, 6:52 am

Fantastic shots!

• karolcia April 24, 2008, 10:41 pm

I’m happy you like them Allen. The addition of almonds is such a great idea!!!