Baked Peaches with Amaretti Stuffing

Desserts do not get any easier (or more delicious) than this simple recipe featuring fresh peaches. The tender fruit is stuffed with an amaretti cookie mixture then baked until the peaches are soft and the topping nicely browned. I used this dessert for our recent July 4th dinner and everyone loved them!

The weather has been hot here and hours in the kitchen are not advised. I did splurge recently and indulged in a full day of cooking for July 4th. We invited three good friends over for a casual dinner followed by an evening stroll downtown to view the fireworks.

The dinner menu didn’t really come together until the night before. I had a list of recipes I’d been wanting to try and tried to fit them all together into a cohesive meal. My focus started with Italian (I know, not the typical food of July 4th) but quickly morphed into more of a seafood theme. While I’m not known for my seafood dishes, I took this as an opportunity to explore outside of my comfort zone :-)

I made Prawn Cakes from Mark of No Special Effects, tomato and garlic stuffed squid, miso-coated halibut, and a garlic-anchovy pasta dish. The prawn cakes were amazing and the hit of our dinner (thank you, Mark!) — everyone raved about them and it was the first platter to be licked clean. Everything else was just ‘ok’ and none of it was photographed (since I hate making my guests wait).

Dessert might have been the only thing to rival the prawn cakes. And, if you have to choose to between something sweet or something made with prawns … well, the winner (for me) has got to be something SWEET! This peach dessert takes about 5 minutes to prep and bakes 35-40 minutes. I made it a few hours before dinner and served it at room temperature. It’s one of those desserts that is wickedly simple yet makes a favorable impression with everyone.

The base of the stuffing are amaretti cookies which can be found in most grocery stores. They are a light and super-crisp Italian cookie — I love them. Make sure to measure out the amount of cookies you’ll need first before you begin snacking on them ;-)

Peaches with Amaretti Stuffing
aka Pesche alla piemontese
from Italian: the essence of mediterranean cuisine

4 ripe peaches
juice 1/2 lemon
2/3 cup crushed amaretti cookies
2 Tb marsala or brandy
2 Tb butter at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tb sugar
1 egg yolk

Preheat the oven to 350. Using a sharp knife, cut the peaches in half and remove pits. Do not peel the peaches. Take a small spoon and scoop out a bit of the flesh to enlarge the hollow. Place peaches in a shallow baking dish, cut sides up. Sprinkle with lemon juice.

Place crushed amaretti cookies into a bowl and stir in the brandy or marsala (I used brandy). Let this mix sit for a few minutes to soften slightly. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.

Spoon the cookie mixture into each of the peach halves, mounding it up as needed.

Place into the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. The topping will be slightly brown and the peaches will be fork tender.

Serve warm or at room temperature with freshly whipped cream or a generous scoop of ice cream!

• Peter M July 14, 2008, 7:29 pm

Allen, you’ve been AWOL of late but when you post, man you knock out some killer dishes. Amaretti stuffing? Brilliant!

• Manggy July 14, 2008, 8:16 pm

You would choose dessert over prawns?! Traitor!!! Haha, kidding… I probably would too. I wonder if they liked the prawn cakes more when they found out 3 of them have about as many calories as a tablespoon of butter.

That is wickedly simple and I’m glad you didn’t take it from Rachael Ray (… it’s a pride thing). They look great, like an Italian Peach Melba! (I’m imagining it with the ice cream– or no sugar added fat-free frozen yogurt :P )

• Christie @ fig & cherry July 14, 2008, 10:28 pm

Gorgeous! I often do a similar thing with apricots. Thick whipped cream is a must!

• Allen July 14, 2008, 10:41 pm

Peter M: haha — yes, I’ve been a bit absent and will probably be a little hit or miss until summer is over. I couldn’t resist sharing this post though — it was SO good!

Manggy: Hmmm, only a Filipino would choose prawns :-) Do you like prawn paste? I remember visiting my friend Amy and she slipped me some of the purple goo (seriously, I remember it being purple – not sure why) … I can still taste it … not my favorite thing.

Christie: Mmmm, I bet apricots taste yummy too!

• Peter G July 15, 2008, 2:39 am

Wonderful dessert Allen…very creative with the Amaretti biscuits and peaches…love this whole concept.

• Patricia Scarpin July 15, 2008, 6:34 am

I have never baked with peaches, and what a shame that is!
    The division would go so well in my house, Allen – I’d definitely go for the sweet, and my husband would choose anything with shrimp. :)

Oh, and I’m so ashamed to say this, but your box hasn’t arrived yet because our Mail Service here has been on a strike forever. :(

• Fearless Kitchen July 15, 2008, 7:50 am

These look great. They’re really a classic dish!

• kat July 15, 2008, 9:33 am

Oh my! We love those cookies so I can only imagine how good they taste in this

• Erin July 15, 2008, 11:33 am

Amaretti cookies always make me think of Giada ;) Looks absolutely yummy. We’ve missed you!

• Mark Boxshus "Cookie Doctor" July 15, 2008, 12:18 pm

Allen

These definitely qualify for the “understated elegance” award. I can only imagine how good these taste. In fact, peaches are on my shopping list.

• Helen July 15, 2008, 12:31 pm

Mmmmmm, amaretti biscuits – could it get any better? Oh yes – peaches! I am munching my way through bucket loads at the moment. I would probably have used amaretto in place of the brandy but then i am obsessed with it! It might have been too much too and I would have ruined it. No restraint!!

• farida July 15, 2008, 2:49 pm

Allen, what a great recipe! My type of dessert – easy to prepare and delicious! I am printing it now. Hope to make it next time I have peaches in my fridge!

• Allen July 15, 2008, 9:09 pm

Peter G: Thank you! I love your new site design :-)

Patricia: You’ve never baked with peaches?!? Oh no, you must try it. Personally, I love peach pie :-)

Fearless Kitchen: Thanks!

Kat: And don’t forget, there’s brandy too … cookies AND alcohol ;-)

Erin: Me too! Giada is always crumbling them into or onto something good.

Cookie Doctor: When buying your peaches, I suggest picking up some amaretti cookies too!

Helen: I’m sure the amaretto would do quite nicely in this :-)

Farida: If you make it let me know — I think you’ll enjoy it!

• Sharona May July 16, 2008, 8:08 am

That is wonderful ~ especially since it is peach season !!!

Sharona May

• cookinpanda July 16, 2008, 9:14 am

this is great. I love how simple it is, and how it’s mostly just peach. That really excites me. I’ve been thinking of ways to spruce up fruits a bit, but not douse them in too much else. These really fit that bill.

• Zoe Francois July 16, 2008, 1:23 pm

Simple, Lovely, Perfect! Can’t wait to try them.

• Becky July 16, 2008, 1:32 pm

yum, looks good! i have a bunch of juicy peaches at home that i’m gonna try this with.

• GirlCanBake July 16, 2008, 3:23 pm

What a simple and gorgeous dessert! I love when dishes are simple but have a big wow factor. Perfect!

• ~Madeline~ July 16, 2008, 4:21 pm

These look fantastic! The amaretti cookies are a great idea.

• Leslie July 16, 2008, 7:22 pm

delish..simply delish!

• Marilyn July 17, 2008, 8:47 pm

Hi Allen – lovely and delicious post. Any excuse to pull out amaretti is a good one. Nice job!

• Sweet Freak July 18, 2008, 7:57 am

I love this – totally original, fun and delicious. What a way to get a daily serving of fresh fruit!

• Mansi Desai July 18, 2008, 1:10 pm

those look simply awesome!! so great to have discovered your blog through heidi’s! I love it!:)

I’d like to invite you to participate in the healthy cooking event running on my blog! these peaches fit the bill, or perhaps your “healthier crust” recipe?!:)

• Wills Kitchen July 18, 2008, 5:22 pm

Wow these look to die for always looking g for a tasty desert. Agree on hating using the oven in the summer but one does what one has to do.
    Will

• gay July 29, 2008, 7:56 am

Oh wow, peaches. Wish I have them here.

• kellypea September 8, 2008, 9:29 am

Sounds really delicious! And I always leave the peelings on — it really adds flavor, doesn’t it?