Drop-Dead Delicious Stuffed Zucchini

I’ve been overwhelmed by zucchini and other summer squash for the past month. I receive 2lbs of fresh squash each week from the organic produce delivery service and find myself running low on new ideas. I read through a few food blogs for ideas and reviewed a wonderful list of ideas published by Kalyn, but nothing seemed to catch my interest.

I turned to a google search and came across the usual About.com and Recipezaar pages, all of which usually don’t appeal to me. However, this time I noticed one result from Recipezaar for a ‘Drop Dead Delicious Stuffed Zucchini’ and when I read it, I instantly fell in love. [note: I’ve since discovered a wonderful cookbook with lots of ideas: The Classic Zucchini Cookbook: 225 Recipes for All Kinds of Squash]. I’ve also since put together a post with 10 stuffed zucchini recipes to give you even more inspiration!

While I often distrust recipes from random people on recipe websites, I noticed that this stuffed zucchini recipe was written by Canarygirl who many of you may know from her blog of the same name. And, as if by cosmic fate, the recipe was added to Recipezaar on June 24th, 2002 – my birthday (no, I will not tell you which year I was born). I believe that there are greater forces at work, so I took this as the sign I should make the recipe ASAP.

The recipe is from her mother-in-law who is famous for this dish. I’m not sure what she had to do to bribe her mother-in-law for the recipe, but I’m glad it worked. I only slightly altered the recipe which you can find from the link above. In the recipe page you will also find the nutritional breakdown which is helpful.

The magic in the recipe comes from the combination of roasted red peppers, green pepper, onion, garlic and herbs. I substituted lean ground turkey breast in order to reduce the fat content. Since the overall dish contained plenty of veggies and lean protein, I did splurge by using real, unadulterated provolone cheese.

First, you begin by parboiling the squash whole. You then allow them to cool, slice in half, and scoop out the insides and reserve. You basically make squash boats. While all of this cools, you can prepare the filling, a mix of sauteed vegetables and ground meat. The scooped out squash is mixed into the filling at the very end along with beaten egg.

Finally, you fill the boats with heaping mounds of the filling then top with cheese. I tore up a few slices of provolone and draped over the stuffed zucchini.

The zucchinis are baked for 30 minutes. The cheese will melt down into the stuffing in the most heavenly way. I like my cheese when nicely browned but feel to bake to your liking, just make sure the stuffing is cooked through and the egg has set. You can always place a piece of foil over the top if you feel the cheese is getting too brown.

The stuff zucchinis tasted so good – full of flavor, nice mix of textures, and a healthy ratio of vegetables to lean protein. I haven’t had cheese in a few months so it totally made my toes curl. And, although I didn’t drop dead as the title suggested, it is over-the-top delicious.

I’ve also come across a few interesting zucchini-related kitchen utensils that you may find interesting:

Zucchini Corer, Stainless Steel Blade & Handle

Upright Cucumber/Zucchini Peeler

• Peter G July 23, 2008, 4:41 pm

They look drop dead delicious!…yumm! We do a similar thing in greek culture…maybe I should make them!

• [eatingclub] vancouver || js July 23, 2008, 4:53 pm

Those stuffed zucchinis are killer! I usually shy away from stuffing vegetables (because I’m lazy) but I might just have to try this one. They’re gorgeous!

• Peter M July 23, 2008, 5:12 pm

Nikki’s “da girl” and it’s no surprise you picked one of her dishes…she knows her way around food.

• Erin July 23, 2008, 6:38 pm

I just received some of those adorable little patty pan summer squash today in my Boston Organics order. They look like they should live in some sort of elfin cottage or doll house. Great recipe find! I can never get enough summer squash and zucchini.

• Manggy July 23, 2008, 9:52 pm

Ooh! ooh! Can I tell them the year you were born? Just kidding :) I can totally see where you’re coming from with the toe-curling– and I haven’t even abstained from eating cheese! Fantastic dish Allen! (Though it looks like a LOT– did you throw another party?)

• canarygirl July 24, 2008, 1:17 am

Hi Allen! I’m so flattered you tried one of my recipes! :D My mother in law is a fantastic cook, and thanks to her, I have lots of Canarian and Spanish recipes in my repertoire. The turkey is an excellent sub, and the provolone had to be amazing. Your zucch’s look just scrumptious!! We also make these with flaked fish (tuna or whitefish), which is also yummy. Thanks so much for the kind words! :)

ps. I’m really glad you didn’t *actually* drop dead from eating these. lmao

• Kalyn July 24, 2008, 7:41 am

Looks fabulous, and I do believe it was a sign you should cook it since she it was posted on your birthday! Thanks for mentioning my zucchini post too.

• Fearless Kitchen July 24, 2008, 8:49 am

This looks really interesting. I did a stuffed squash recipe earlier in the month and I didn’t even think about adding peppers.

• kat July 24, 2008, 10:52 am

Oh, I’m getting zucchini from the farm this week along with those in my garden so looks like a great idea.

• Allen July 24, 2008, 11:22 am

Peter G: Yes, I think you should make them!

Eatingclub: I’m not a very fussy person, so trust me … these are perfect for lazy people :-)

Peter M: She certainly does!

Erin: I love the little patty pan squash too, very adorable!

Manggy: Learn to respect your elders! :-) I did make a large batch — my brother came over for dinner. We then ate the leftovers for dinner the next night. They tasted just as good the next day, if not better.

Canarygirl: I’ll have to try this next time with the flaked fish — give your mother in law a big hug for me!

Kalyn: Thank you! And, thank you for stopping by — I love your site, so many wonderful ideas.

Fearless Kitchen: The roasted red peppers really knocked home the flavor for me — it really made the dish.

• White On Rice Couple July 25, 2008, 12:06 am

Just the title alone has me running to the market for some zucchini!
    I totally believe you about how good they are. What a way to end the day, with a drop dead delicious dish like this!

• Patricia Scarpin July 25, 2008, 10:51 am

Allen, these look so good! And Nikki has some wonderful recipes – she’s certainly a trustworthy source. And since the stars were aligned when you saw that recipe, I’m willing to try it myself.

• Kevin July 26, 2008, 7:55 pm

Those stuffed zucchini look tasty!

• Patsyk July 31, 2008, 11:53 am

They look incredibly delicious!

• Aylin October 27, 2008, 11:03 am

This reminds me of a Turkish dish called karniyarik. It’s made with eggplant boats, and ground beef. Slice of tomato, green pepper and parsley on top instead of cheese. It’s so fun to see how creative you all are coming up with these tasty variations…