Hardcore Cornography

Cornography
Noun

• creative activity (writing or pictures or films etc.) of no literary or artistic value other than to stimulate sweet corn desire [syn: corn]

Our summer sweet corn hit the stores a few weeks ago and I’m in heaven. I love eating it right off the cob with lots of pepper which is exactly what I did last year. So, after many corn dinners these past few weeks, I realized that I hadn’t done anything else with it. Could I let another summer go by with only eating fresh sweet corn off the cob? NO!

One of my favorite southern foods is the tender and sweet hushpuppy, a round deep-fried cornbread ball often containing onion. It’s sweet and savory, so very delicious. Well, I knew that I wouldn’t be deep-frying but I figured I could evoke the same flavors by making fresh corn fritters.

I used 3 ears of fresh corn and mixed with minced green onion. I wanted an extra punch of color so I added some finely chopped roasted red pepper. The outcome is a mouthwatering fritter. I used minimal oil to fry them and given the small amount of flour and egg, they remain fairly healthy. When paired with a salad or other fresh vegetables, they make for a balanced meal.

Tri-Color Corn Fritters

2 cups fresh corn kernels
1/4 cup roasted red pepper, minced
2 green onions, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon peanut oil

Removing the corn kernels from the corn cob is easy to do, albeit a little messy. The kernels can explode as you slice through them covering you and your counters in a sweet starchy liquid.

I stand an ear of shucked and rinsed corn on a plate, standing on its fatter end. Holding the corn by the pointy top, use a sharp knife slice from the top toward the bottom of the ear of corn. Try to do in one, slow motion and keep your fingers out of the knife’s path.

Continue working your way around the ear of corn until all kernels are removed. If you meet resistance while slicing downward then you are cutting too close to the cob. Move your knife outward until you are able to slice downward without much resistance.

Mix corn with sugar and salt. Beat the egg with a fork in a separate bowl, then mix into the corn. Add approximately 2 tablespoons of flour and stir to combine. Depending on how moist your corn is will determine if you need to add more flour. The final consistency should not be runny nor should it be thick and gloppy.

The mix is primarily corn with the egg and flour working as a glue to hold the kernels together when fried. You’ll likely look at it and think, “this is never going to work”.

Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and brush with 1 teaspoon of oil. I used peanut oil as it works well for frying and is less likely to smoke. Drop by rounded tablespoons into the skillet and slightly flatten. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side. When you flip the fritters, press down slightly with the back of your spatula to form them into a patty shape.

Remove fritters and place on paper towel to remove any excess oil. Serve immediately.

I topped the fritters with slices of heirloom tomatoes and bits of leftover roasted chicken. It would make a perfect summertime lunch of a fairly light dinner.

The fritters are crispy and sweet, with the tender corn kernels bursting as you bite into them. The onion adds a nice savory edge to the fritter and works nicely with the sweetness of the roasted red pepper. Don’t let your summer pass by without trying them — it’s ok, indulge in a little cornography!

• canarygirl July 29, 2008, 1:18 am

HAHAHAHAA! Cornography! Cracking the heck up! And now I have to tell you that I am SO freaking jealous of your sweet corn, because we just don’t get the good stuff here. :P :( *pout* Coming from corn country, nothing, but NOTHING comes close to fresh local bicolor sweet corn on the cob. Nothing. Your fritters look delicious, Allen. Simply delicious!

• Peter M July 29, 2008, 2:01 am

Great apps or snack, Allen…how about a little heat in these?

• Arundathi July 29, 2008, 2:28 am

those look amazing. have you tried the corn fritters at the E&O restaurant on Powell? Its my absolute favorite way to eat corn – thanks for the recipe!

• Manggy July 29, 2008, 3:55 am

Hah! Spoken like a true midwesterner– can’t keep his mind off corn. Too much corn can make you go blind, Allen! Ha ha ha.
    Ahem. Seriously, I love corn in savory dishes, because they add that hint of sweetness I always look for. These look really good– I was nervous when you said “minimal” oil, but it turns out it really is very scant! Good job.

• steph July 29, 2008, 9:27 am

I’m not sure what’s better – the term “cornography,” or all the comments about the term.

Anyway, I’ve got sweet corn at home from the farmer’s market. This recipe might have to make it’s way to my table tonight. Yum.

• RecipeGirl July 29, 2008, 9:42 am

Absolutely love your blog post title. What cute little fritters. I love that you topped them w/ tomato and chicken.

• Jen July 29, 2008, 10:28 am

There are some foods I like so much plain (corn, strawberries) that I almost never use them in anything but your fritters look great and may have just convinced me. I have tried to corn fritters at E&O and they are amazing (but really not healthy), yours are definitely the guilt free version.

• Peter G July 29, 2008, 7:28 pm

LOL! Cornography! So we get the “X” version of these?…only kidding! These look great…your new approach to cooking them is really inspiring Allen…well done!

• Kevin July 29, 2008, 8:29 pm

Those look good! I like the sound of the roasted red peppers in them.

• Helen July 30, 2008, 1:17 am

Gorgoues little fritters! I love the shot at the end where you are holding one, they are really bite size. Out corn isn’t ready yet but I can’t wait!

• Types of Can Openers July 30, 2008, 3:51 am

Your blog looks fine.As it name also.I have to tell you that I am SO freaking jealous of your sweet corn, because we just don’t get the good stuff here.

• What is love? July 30, 2008, 3:55 am

Pics. is good.I love it.I have tried to corn fritters and they are amazing.

• kat July 30, 2008, 9:51 am

yum corn fritters, I so want one now!

• PG July 30, 2008, 3:19 pm

these corn fritters look so good. And so easy to make. Well, if you do not count the “removing kernels from cob” part. :)
    But, I might try it with the canned ones.

• RebeccaC August 1, 2008, 9:16 am

Just came across your blog this week and LOVED the idea of these fritters. I made a similar recipe last night and they were delicious (though yours look healthier/prettier). Thanks for the…um…corn-spiration?

• Jose C. August 3, 2008, 3:24 pm

not really addicted to corn but yes to frying with very little oil found this pump sprays called misto which you fill with your favorite oil.
    I have several of them with different oils when they start sputtering you just wash them whith liquid detergent and they are back to new condition
    somewhere around 10.00 each
    give them a try
    Jose

they work great

• John D September 28, 2009, 5:38 pm

Really mature people. HAHA. Cornography and all the comments about the title. Yeah, that is really good. Let’s make light of SIN. Let’s see how funny God thinks it is. Let’s see how funny it is when you are burning in hell. Recipe looks great though.

• Allen September 30, 2009, 5:08 pm

Cornography is not a sin, so please keep corn-hating to a minimum – this is about food people, not religion. ;-)