Blueberry Oat Bars Recipe

Blueberry filling sandwiched between two layers of a cinnamon-infused cookie crust. The result is a comforting, sweet bar cookie that can be dressed up for dessert or left casual as a mid-day snack.

I discovered these delicious blueberry-oat bars on Susan’s blog, FatFree Vegan Kitchen. These bars not only taste like a million dollars but they contain no added fat, no refined flour, no dairy, and no added sugar. Granted, you should eat them in moderation but they are healthy enough that you won’t hate yourself if you eat more than one.

As I continue to scour the web for healthy food ideas, I find myself stumbling into Susan’s blog more and more often. She provides a wide variety of different dishes, each of which can be adapted for non-vegan lifestyles should you choose to do so. Although I am not vegan myself, I enjoy cutting back on animal related products. I do find it funny how some people have an aversion to the ‘V-word’ though. When I announced that the bars were vegan, I could literally see my friends clench in unison.

Maybe people fear that vegan foods remove flavor or sacrifice the sanctity of a dish. In reality, I find it quite the opposite — a good vegan cook is like MacGyver, he or she is resourceful and able to create amazing taste sensations from healthy ingredients. Susan is no exception.

The blueberry-oat bar recipe can be found on Susan’s site. The only substitution I made was to use brown rice syrup in place of the agave nectar. I substituted in equal amounts and didn’t notice that this made any difference to the outcome. I also used frozen organic blueberries instead of fresh because I had them on hand.

The thing I enjoyed most about making these bars is that you grind a portion of the oatmeal into flour. For the brief 30 seconds or so that the oatmeal pulsed around in the processor, I felt as though I was back on the farm and grinding grains into whole flour (ok, maybe I was being a bit too nostalgic). Basically, I enjoyed turning the oatmeal in to oat dust.

The dessert comes together quickly and is then baked for 30 minutes. The cookie crust is moist yet firm, so the bars hold their shape remarkably well and are not messy to eat with your fingers (why use a fork when you can eat with your hands?).

And, they simply taste great – everyone who tried them agreed. I’m sure the recipe can be adapted for other fruits as well, if you’re not in to blueberries – I immediately thought how good these would also be with cherries and a bit of almond flavoring.

If you’re looking for any other bar ideas, I recommend the blueberry power bars that I made a few months ago. They are chewy and crisp, loaded with dried blueberries, flax, and lots of crispy brown rice.

• Manggy July 22, 2008, 1:59 am

That close-up pic is what we call teh money shot in the business– delicious ;) If it’s a dessert I made myself, I never hate myself for having more– it’s the candy bars that are the real enemy in my world!

I could literally see my friends clench in unison.
    Oh my god, what kind of party did you serve these bars at? :P

• Peter G July 22, 2008, 2:46 am

Mmmmm…these look so delicious Allen. I too don’t understand how people can sometimes equate that being vegan means losing flavour. This is a perfect example of healthy and tasty cooking at its best. (the cherry idea sounds delicious too!).

• Patricia Scarpin July 22, 2008, 6:16 am

These look so scrumptious, I have a hard time believing they are healthy, Allen!
    In this case, I’ll have one now and 2 to go, please. ;)

• Helen July 22, 2008, 9:07 am

Those look deliciously gooey! Thanks for pointing out Susan’s blog. I’m going to check it out as my food is deinitely going the same way as yours.

• Ben July 22, 2008, 11:30 am

Oh wow, healthy snacks that look and taste delicious. Sign me in! :) We are really rolling with the healthy recipes, this has been a good summer for me HAHA.

• SusanV July 22, 2008, 2:15 pm

Wow, Allen, thank you so much for the kind words about my blog. I have to say that I think your photos are better than mine–they’re making me crave these bars all over again. I’m so glad to hear that they’re tasty to non-vegans, too!

• Lisa July 22, 2008, 3:58 pm

I prefer treats that don’t have heaps and heaps of sugar, so this totally got my attention. Lovely photos.

• Kevin July 22, 2008, 6:10 pm

Those blueberry oat bars sound really good!

• Heather July 22, 2008, 6:13 pm

oooh, that looks delicious! and what a beautiful picture!

• Erin July 23, 2008, 8:14 am

Nice shot Allen! So glad you’ve been able to find some great alternatives to spice up the new nutrition regime.

• kat July 23, 2008, 9:12 am

oh these sound divine, i want them with a little vanilla ice cream…

• Haley July 23, 2008, 11:08 am

We’d like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, haleyglasco@gmail.com, if you’re interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details: http://blog.keyingredient.com/2008/06/06/key-ingredient-cooks-kitchen-recipe-contest/

• Katie B. July 23, 2008, 1:54 pm

Glorious looking bars! Honestly, I love just about anything with berries OR crumb topping – which makes these bars perfect!

• cookinpanda July 23, 2008, 2:12 pm

Allen, thank you for pointing me to Susan’s site. I can’t wait to scour it for ideas. As for these bars, they sound perfect for the 34(!) pounds of blueberries that I’ve recently come into. They’ll help put a dent into them anyway.

• HoneyB July 23, 2008, 5:55 pm

What an awesome photo. I grew up with one parent a meat eater and the other vegetarian…which is why I now consider myself flexitarian! However, vegetarian/vegan food can be much more flavorful than a meat meal! Great blog, I’m glad to have found you!

• Allen July 24, 2008, 11:36 am

Manggy: Hehe, yes it’s the money shot. I’m still having issues with learning my camera – I need to take a class or something.

Peter G: Thanks!

Patricia: They’re all gone now and I’m so sad — they were yummy.

Helen: I think you’ll like it, she has so many good ideas.

Ben: Keep up the healthy eating. It will be winter before we know it and we’ll go back into hibernation (and likely eat devilshly fattening foods).

Susan: Thank you so much for stopping by and for creating such a wonderful recipe!

Lisa: Thank you!

Kevin: Thanks!

Heather: Thank you!

Erin: I’ve been lazy in finding healthy dessert foods, so feel like I’m starting out on a new quest.

Kat: Thanks!

Haley: Thanks for this suggestion — since it’s not my recipe, I wouldn’t feel comfortable entering it. I hope others will check out your site and participate though.

Katie: Thank you!

Cookingpanda: 34 pounds?!?!? You’ve got a whole lot of baking to do :-)

HoneyB: A flexitarian — haha! You were lucky to have been raised in both worlds. I’ve tried being a vegetarian and vegan previously, I admire people who can make it their lifestyle. Unfortunately, I have horrible discipline and like to many things.

• Becky July 30, 2008, 5:53 pm

hm…this looks really tasty. and sounds healthy. nice job.

• Erndog August 16, 2008, 12:21 pm

I just discovered your beautiful blog and thought I’d mention that I made these bars from Susan’s site with the addition of 1/2 lemon’s worth of juice to the berry mixture and the zest of 1/2 lemon to the flour mixture. Devine! Now back to scouring your blog for new “to try” recipes! :-)
    ~Erin

• Sylest October 18, 2009, 10:15 am

I actually saw these on Susan’s site. I made them last night. They were decent. I used frozen blueberries though, and I feel they lacked the tangy sweetness of fresh. I’m actually considering strawberries cooked down with OJ instead of the apple juice. Though the batter had a decent consistency, since I don’ have celiac disease, I’m also going to attempt to split the oat recipe with whole wheat flour and some toasted quinoa. I really don’t know how it will taste. Anyway, this is a great foundational recipe.