Quick & Simple Sweet Potato Hash

Hash has never been something I’ve made often and I’m not sure why the urge struck me this past weekend. Joe was out walking the dog and I puttered around the kitchen assessing just how empty the refrigerator and pantry had become. I had one big sweet potato sitting on the counter and I let it be my inspiration for a delicious and nutritious breakfast.

I love sweet potatoes and try to find new ways to use them. Although they mash nicely and bake well, they are also wonderful in stir fry especially with pork. I almost always pair them with savory ingredients as in this simple hash. I decided to cube up the sweet potato and mix it with a few veggies (and fruit) that I had laying around.

Sweet Potato Hash
1 sweet potato, peeled & cut into small cubes
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 small apple, cored & cut into small cubes
1 green onion, chopped

Using a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil. I start by adding the ingredients that will take the longest time to cook. I add the sweet potato first and fry it for 4-5 minutes. I next add the onions and red peppers, along with a pinch of red pepper flake, salt, and pepper. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.

I like to let the ingredients brown so I don’t constantly stir the skillet. The sweet potatoes will take on a lightly brown color. Finally, add the chopped apple and green onion.

The apple was a last minute decision on my part. I had one that needed to be used. I figured it might add further sweetness but also a bit of tartness to balance out the heavier sweet potato texture and flavor. Cook for another 2 minutes or until everything is fully cooked.

I cracked a couple eggs on top of the hash and placed into a 450 oven for 5-10 minutes, until the eggs had set. Serve immediately.

I enjoyed the flavors in this hash, although my pinch of red pepper flake was a bit too much. It came out a little spicier than planned, but still delicious. The sweet and savory combination worked well and was the perfect backdrop for the eggs. And, I made it all in one skillet, which always makes me happy … especially when I hadn’t even had my first cup of coffee.

• Peter G August 18, 2008, 11:22 pm

Great thinking with the apple Allen! Certainly made this hash a little more interesting…great pics as usual!

• Manggy August 19, 2008, 12:26 am

Hey, there’s no such thing as too spicy in my book! ;) The great thing about sweet potatoes is their low glycemic index. Now I gotta learn to include more in my diet, heh :)

• c August 19, 2008, 6:26 am

That looks like a great Sunday morning breakfast. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

• Ben August 19, 2008, 6:51 am

Hmm very nice. The very few times I’ve made hash I’ve left the skin on to keep the fiber of the potatoes. Is there any significant change in flavor with the skin off?

• Allen August 19, 2008, 8:43 am

Peter G: Thanks!

Manggy: Ummmm, I could make a spicy korean tofu stew that would knock you on your butt :-)

C: You’re welcome – thanks for stopping by!

Ben: When I use regular potatoes, I leave the skins on so I don’t lose out on the fiber. With sweet potatoes, I’ve never thought about it. I’ve always peeled them. I’m not sure how tough the skin is on a sweet potato or how it might change the flavor. I’ll let you experiment with that one and report back :-)

• kat August 19, 2008, 10:22 am

Great use of a sweet potato! My mom is the hash lover in my family & I bet she would like this one

• Sylvie August 20, 2008, 4:04 am

That looks lovely and colourful.

• farida August 20, 2008, 3:25 pm

What a creative dish, Allen! I love the idea of adding apple to balance the sweetness. Great recipe!

• Emily October 28, 2009, 2:29 pm

I just made this hash a couple days ago and I’m still loving the left-overs. I melted smoked cheddar cheese on top, instead of the egg, and has the same sweet-and-savory appeal. I’m going to make it next weekend for a potluck! Thanks so much for this recipe!

• Bon F December 4, 2009, 5:24 pm

Just wanted to say how delicious this was and how incredible it looked on my Thanksgiving dinner table. I made it exactly as you have here and wouldn’t change a thing (which says a lot since I change every recipe I find!) I made it a day in advance and reheated it in a casserole dish in time for dinner. Everybody raved about it. Cheers to you!