Watermelon Agua Fresca

I’ve been wanting to make watermelon agua fresca for the longest time. Although it sounds wildly exotic, it’s quite simply watermelon juice. But don’t let the simplicity fool you – it’s wonderfully good. A few restaurants have it here in San Jose however it is my laziness that hasn’t allowed me to make it at home.

I wish I could say there was a recipe for this but it’s just pureed and strained watermelon. If you wish to sweeten it, you can add a bit of sugar or honey. You can also add a squeeze of lime for a few bruised mint leaves for added flavor.

I don’t have a food processor so I once again turned to my trusty stick blender. It makes the process take a lot longer and ultimately it was so very, very messy. By the time my pitcher was full of watermelon juice, my t-shirt needed to be wrung out :-)

I ended up adding about a cup of water in total during the blending process. The water helped the blender to get the magic started. After you puree the melon, strain it through a fairly fine mesh sieve. I have a very small one so this didn’t help speed things along either. You’ll find that there is quite a bit of pulp. The remaining juice is a vibrant deep pink color, so beautiful.

Serve icy cold and enjoy. For the adults, maybe add a splash of vodka as well :-)

Now that summer is nearing an end, the prices of watermelons are very cheap. I purchased a gigantic one for $3.48 and I used it for every recipe I am publishing this week (plus there is still a piece in the fridge). So, grab a melon while they last and try your hand at agua fresca!

• Dhanggit August 5, 2008, 1:56 am

i’ve never heard of this..but this indeed sounds great for the summer! i love watermelon but most often i just eat them up like that! thanks for the recipe i’ll try this one this weekend!

• Manggy August 5, 2008, 2:38 am

Lovely rose-colored refreshing drink you have here, Allen! If you’d like to speed up the main filtration process (and you don’t mind cleaning up a tad more), you can use successively smaller pore sizes and re-filter it several times. Of course, you’d need several sieves (I’d use a coarse sieve, then fine, then cheesecloth– but that might be *too* fine).

• Ben August 5, 2008, 7:20 am

Aguas frescas! My favorites are watermelon, rice, tamarind and cantaloupe. Oh so many memories!

• Jen (Modern Beet) August 5, 2008, 10:49 am

The medium disc of a foodmill works pretty well for making watermelon juice too — it’s not as speedy as a blender, but works fine. I typically mix 1/2 watermelon juice and 1/2 bubbly water for a nice refresher. The splash of lime you added would be great too

• Anonymous August 5, 2008, 2:06 pm

This is a great drink for a hot day. You can also get watermelon juice at any boba place. They don’t strain it but I love the pulp anyways.

• Helen August 6, 2008, 1:07 am

I am picking up a watermelon later! I have a vision of you now, stick blender in hand – covered in watermelon! It does look wonderfully refreshing though.

• Peter G August 6, 2008, 2:21 am

Yes please!…I’ll have a double shot of vodka in mine thanks.

• Anonymous August 6, 2008, 6:00 am

I’ve made it with a juicer, and it works great! It’s so sweet… Yum.

• Nate-n-Annie August 6, 2008, 10:56 am

Ah, watermelon juice. Add a little shot of tequila or rum, and I’m in heaven!

• kat August 6, 2008, 11:07 am

Ah now this looks refreshing! I’ve been wanting to make watermelon flavored cupcakes, I wonder if this would work as the flavoring