Watermelon Salsa

And, to conclude my week of watermelon, a savory take on the classic salsa. Although I paired it with some chips, this salsa would go nicely with a piece of grilled fish or other seafood. It’s light and refreshing, but has a nice kick from the jalapenos.

*sigh* it’s Friday, finally. It’s August 8th, 2008 – a supposedly lucky day for those who are superstitious about such things. It’s also the start of the Summer Olympics in Beijing which I am excited to watch. Truthfully, I’m not at home right now but instead taking a much needed long weekend at the ‘happiest place on earth’. My Friday will involve mouse-shaped food and likely no watermelon.

I prepared this dish earlier in the week and it’s kept nicely in the fridge for the past few days. I’ve found it to be a great alternative to the same old salsa I normally make.

Watermelon Salsa
from EatingWell.com

3 cups diced seedless watermelon
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup minced red onion
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste

Mix. Haha – simple instructions, yes? I didn’t measure according to the recipe, it’s not rocket science.

It’s surprisingly good — kind of sounds like a backhanded compliment, but I wasn’t sure about it at first. I thought the watermelon would make it too watery but it didn’t seem much different than a fresh tomato salsa.

If you’ve enjoyed this week’s dedication to watermelon, then you’ll enjoy this article from Susan (FoodBlogga) at the NPR Kitchen Window, Watermelon Confidential: Dessert And So Much More. She and I have both been exploring alternative uses for the wonderful watermelon.

Enjoy your weekend – I hope to see your watermelon inspired creation soon! See you next week :-)

• canarygirl August 8, 2008, 2:19 am

Wow, incredible take on salsa! I’m going to have to try this one. And maybe we’ll throw in a watermelon margarita for good measure, too. ;)

• Manggy August 8, 2008, 2:22 am

I bet this would shock a lot of people here at home, the same way we shock people of other countries when we use avocados in dessert, heh heh :) Have a great trip Allen! Enjoy your mouse-head (eww)-shaped pancakes!! :P

• Peter G August 8, 2008, 2:41 am

Simple, spicy and sweet…gorgeous Allen! I cn think of many “happy places” I could be in…LOL

• HoneyB August 8, 2008, 4:22 am

I have a whole watermelon in my fridge – I may just try this out this weekend! It looks good!

• kat August 8, 2008, 8:01 am

Oh, I really enjoyed this series & hoped so much to get a watermelon in my CSA box this week, but no. Have a great weekend in Never Never Land

• Patsyk August 8, 2008, 10:32 am

Now that salsa looks beautiful! Sounds delicious, too!

• Allen August 8, 2008, 3:40 pm

Hi everyone! Just taking a brief afternoon rest, since we did get up at 7am … ugh! I actually had a few slices of watermelon with my breakfast of egg-white scramble and grilled broccolini. The broccolini was so fricken’ good and the highlight.

I love that our disney hotel has free wifi … although it is dangerous, since I’m sitting here in the lobby typing away furiously :-)

Anyway, off to read a few blogs before a quick power nap. Bye!

• Susan from Food Blogga August 8, 2008, 5:58 pm

I’m with you on the jalapenos. The heat really enhances the watermelon’s sweetness. Thanks for the link too, Allen! Have a good nap.

• [eatingclub] vancouver || js August 8, 2008, 11:02 pm

I have to try watermelon salsa real soon. I’m not too big a fan of watermelon but something like this, a savoury watermelon dish, would really make this fruit tres appealing to moi.

• PG August 10, 2008, 2:08 am

Wow! What a salsa! I’m sure it tasted superb!

• Ginny August 12, 2008, 2:33 pm

What a fabulous idea! Yummy!

• Meeta August 13, 2008, 3:22 am

Now I know what to do with all that sweet watermelon!

• Chelle August 18, 2008, 6:46 pm

Wow does that look good! I would have never thought of watermelon as a salsa, but the more I look at it with those chips I think it would be a nice change of pace.

• Elizabeth June 16, 2009, 6:52 pm

Sounds yummy. My whole town has watermelon madness — it’s contagious!