Watermelon Yogurt Ice

Today I am pleased to offer this wonderful watermelon yogurt ice which I found from EatingWell.com. It’s lightly creamy without being full of fat and provides a satisfying ‘tang’ from the yogurt. It’s like a combination between sherbet and a slush, and I liked it quite a bit.

The recipe is easy to prepare. You can freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker which is the path I took. You can also pour the mix into a bowl and freeze in the freezer, then later put it into a food processor to break it up. I don’t suggest the second option as this stuff turns solid. Rock solid.

I happily ate a few spoonfuls when I finished mixing it in the ice cream maker and put the rest in the freezer. When I opened it up later that night I was bummed to find a big pink block. It tasted so good and I really wanted a big bowl of it, but I had to chip away at it to even break off a small piece. I felt betrayed. How could something so tasty be so hard to get?

Watermelon Yogurt Ice
from EatingWell.com

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
4 cups diced, seedless watermelon
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 tablespoon lime juice

Heat water and sugar in a pan over medium heat to form a simple syrup. Cook until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside and allow to cool.

Puree watermelon in a blender, food processor or with a stick blender. Combine the puree, simple syrup, yogurt, and lime juice. Stir to combine.

Pour the mixture through a fine sieve in order to remove any pulp or other bits. Place the mixture into a prepared ice cream mixer and mix according to your ice cream mixers directions. I used a basic Cuisinart ice cream maker and it takes about 30 minutes to reach a firm state.

It’s a beautiful rich pink color. Yes, I think it kind of looks like pepto-bismol, but I tried to put that image out of my head. I suggest eating as much as you can before freezing it, before it becomes a big pepto-bismol glacier.

It reminded me of an alcohol based slush that my mother used to make around the holidays. The mix contained alcohol so it kept it from fully freezing and remained in an icy state. I’m curious if a little vodka might make this more interesting … and help it not to freeze. Hmmm, or maybe I just need a drink :-)

• Manggy August 7, 2008, 2:51 am

Your mom was Sandra Lee? Just kidding :) Gaah, it does not look like frozen Pepto-Bismol. It looks very pretty and cleanly presented (Japanese-style, I’d say). You didn’t put THE brand of yogurt! They are ripping apart your check as we speak! Ha ha ha! :D

• Peter G August 7, 2008, 2:51 am

I like big pink blocks!…LOL Its good to know what you experienced making this…looks delicious though!

• Scott August 7, 2008, 4:42 am

This looks SO good, and you’re a 100% right about the Vodka, all that is needed is about a tablespoon to keep it soft, more for a buzz! I just had your Watermelon Ice pop (for breakfast) SO Good! I couldn’t wait..
    You’re my newest obsession, i can’t wait what else you come up with!!

• canarygirl August 7, 2008, 6:47 am

That there’s Jezebel ice-cream I tell ya! OMFG watermelon and yogurt?! Why didn’t I think of that??? This one is going on next week’s shopping list, Allen. Gawd, how tempting. Oh! And how about this….after sticking it in the freezer, pull it out every half hour or so and give it another stir to aerate it? Maybe that’d help to keep it a little more accessible? :)

• Patricia Scarpin August 7, 2008, 8:22 am

Allen, this yogurt ice is a metaphor for life, I guess. ;)
    It looks gorgeous!

• RecipeGirl August 7, 2008, 8:25 am

I guess you have to eat the whole thing when it’s done churning in the ice cream maker, huh? Bummer about the big pink block. I haven’t used my ice cream make once this summer yet… time to drag it out and find something not too evil to make!

• Allen August 7, 2008, 8:47 am

Manggy: Oddly, my mother’s name is Sandra … but not Sandra Lee :-)

Peter G: I tried chipping away at it again last night. If you let it set out for a few minutes it does thaw fairly quickly but when you want instant gratification … it’s hard to be patient.

Canarygirl: The yogurt/watermelon combination is a good one! Your idea to remove every half hour and aerate might work … I’m thinking that adding vodka is more fun though :-)

Scott: Next time I will try the vodka, it could only make it better. You made the ice pos? Haha — that’s great, glad you enjoyed them :-)

• kat August 7, 2008, 10:19 am

Once again I am wishing for the ice cream maker attachment for the Kitchen Aid!

• Erin August 7, 2008, 2:11 pm

It’s pink! Therefore I love it of course :)

• Sandy Smith August 8, 2008, 12:36 pm

This is so pretty, and who doesn’t need another recipe to help use up that 10-lb watermelon hogging up the whole bottom shelf of the fridge!
    Can wait to give it a whirl.

• Foodaholic August 15, 2008, 9:20 am

I definitely think a little vodka would help. =) This recipe reminds me of a granita I made once. (just minus the yogurt and you have a granita) I had to take the granita out of the freezer and stir it every hour or so until it was all frozen. Maybe taking it out and stirring it would help?? Kind of time consuming though.

• Hashim August 15, 2008, 10:04 am

wow so simple, this is something I can make :D but these days we are not getting watermelon here so i’ll have to wait.

• paresh August 16, 2008, 2:55 am

so delicious post. thanks for sharing.

• Michael Selby September 7, 2008, 2:48 pm

I may have to try this. I would probably use honey instead of sugar though and not so much as a 1/4 of a cup.

• My Taste Heaven April 19, 2009, 1:34 am

This is really creative. I have never heard about watermelon yogurt ice. Would definitely try it out! Thanks!