Cinnamon-Fig Jam Recipe

I am continuing my jam fetish with this cinnamon fig combination. Figs are still new to me and I’m learning what else I can do with them besides using in salads. When I received my latest carton of beautifully plump figs, I wondered how they would be when stewed with a bit of cinnamon and sugar. The resulting jam put a smile on my face … I couldn’t stop poking at it with my spoon while it cooled.

This is one of several jams that I’ve made this year, which kind of surprises me. When I think of jam, I remember the episode of ‘Friends’ where Joey is gorging himself on Monica’s jam. I’m not really a jam lover or connoisseur – it’s good, but I could easily live without it. The reality is that jams are an easy way to use up an abundance of fresh fruit when you can’t think of what else to do with it all. Hmm, I make jam because I’m lazy (?) … yeah, I guess so :-)

Apparently, I’m not the only person with jam on their mind. Mark of No Special Effects lost his jam virginity this past week when he made a tempting Mango-Pineapple Jam. It sounds so exotic and interesting that I may just have to give it a try next. But first, I must finish the jar of fig jam that I made.

Cinnamon Fig Jam
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 lb. mission figs (about 10-12 figs)
1 3″ strip lemon zest
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 lemon juiced

Add water and sugar to a pan and place on a medium heat to dissolve.

Remove the stems from the figs and cut into quarters. Add to the sugar mixture along with lemon zest, cinnamon stick, and lemon juice. Bring the mix to a light simmer and leave the pan uncovered. Cook for about 1 hour or until the mix thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

This recipe makes a single jar – about 1 1/2 cups. I’ve been home alone all week and slowly working my way toward the bottom of the jar. I’ve eaten it on crackers and toast, along with a few plain spoonfuls that went directly to my lips. It’s rather addictive and an amazing use for figs.

• Peter G September 7, 2008, 1:01 am

Absolutely gorgeous Allen! Love this simple fig jam recipe. And with the addition of cinnamon, it certainly adds an addictive element.

• Manggy September 7, 2008, 4:03 am

Ooh, “jam virginity!” It sounds so dirty, which is incidentally my favorite way of hearing things. :P
    I STILL have no idea what a fig tastes like, but this looks delicious, and seed-y like the strawberry jams we have here :) A-ha! What is that fluffy white stuff on the cracker?! Izzat cream?!

I love that Friends episode. I feel so sad for Monica.
    “Babies!”
    “You’re going to need bigger jars…”

• Astra Libris September 7, 2008, 6:54 am

Mmmmm, I love fig jam… What a great idea, adding cinnamon! YUM!

• Susan from Food Blogga September 7, 2008, 7:14 am

I absolutely must make this jam, Allen. I have been an unapologetic fig hedonist lately, and this thick, sweet jam is only making me want more!

• Megan September 7, 2008, 7:41 am

Cinnamon and figs! How delicious. I wish I had some of this right now to put on my muffins.

• RecipeGirl September 7, 2008, 7:42 am

I’m new to figs too. I was browsing our farmer’s stand yesterday trying to figure out what to bring home when I spotted some baskets of figs. I passed over them since I couldn’t think of what I’d like to use them for. Darn. This looks really, really delicious!

• kat September 7, 2008, 8:47 am

how wonderful! I love fig jam on sandwiches, the only jam I’ll eat. I’m meeting with some local foodies to make some next week, I can’t wait

• food librarian September 7, 2008, 9:30 am

oh my goodness! this looks so delicious! i love figs and jam. perfect combo.

• [eatingclub] vancouver || js September 7, 2008, 11:17 am

Oh wow, look at that deeply luscious colour of the jam! It’s just gorgeous.

I love the idea of a fig jam: we haven’t been lucky here with fresh figs so I’m insanely jealous of this.

I’m not a big jam person too, but I’m starting to see it as a neat way, especially once you put them in those pretty glass jars, to get rid of excess fruit cluttering up the counter. ;)

• [eatingclub] vancouver || js September 7, 2008, 3:00 pm

You’ve been tagged for a question meme!

• Allen September 7, 2008, 5:23 pm

Peter G: Thank you! The cinnamon does give it that little something extra. I wanted to add some port but decided against it since I had just combined figs and port for the recent sorbet.

Manggy: Ahhh, tell me something I don’t know! The fig jam is definetly seedy which I tend to like. It’s also chunky which adds to the overall texture. And for the record, the white stuff is fat-free cream cheese … so I haven’t broken any rules, I’m still eating low fat :-)

Astra Libris: Thank you! I have a 2 lb bag of pintos in my cupboard and every time I look at them I think of you :-)

Susan: I love how sticky-thick the jam becomes – it’s perfect for a fig hedonist!

Megan: Mmmm, it would be perfect with muffins.

RecipeGirl: Well, there’s always next week :-)

Kat: Fig jam on sandwiches? Oh, now that sounds good! I hope you post about your foodie meetup.

Food Librarian: Thank you!

Eatingclub: Thank you! No figs up north? Bummer. If I get around to making a big batch, I’ll have to send a jar your way :-) Tagged? Oh no, I’ll have to take a look and see what sort of personal info I need to divulge … ;-)

• kellypea September 7, 2008, 7:13 pm

Really beautiful, and a terrific idea! I’ve just recently been experimenting with figs, too. Green & Black, and think I like the black ones best. Don’t have any left to try this yummy jam right now which is quite sad.

• Esi September 7, 2008, 11:03 pm

Oh wow! Just made fig jam tonight And subsequently lost my jam virginity. Yours looks beautiful!!!

• Carolyn Jung September 8, 2008, 12:52 pm

Oh man, a spoonful of this fig jam with a dollop of mascarpone would be a match made in heaven. Or I wonder how yummy the jam might be on a crudite with some shaved parmesan. The combinations are endless, I’m sure.

• Allen September 8, 2008, 1:03 pm

Kellypea: I haven’t tried the green figs yet but now I’m feeling inspired to explore them.

Esi: Haha – congrats on losing your jam virginity!

Carolyn: Thanks for stopping by my blog – I love your idea on pairing with shaved parmesan … a wonderful salty-sweet combination :-)

• Coffee and Vanilla September 8, 2008, 4:39 pm

Sounds really yummy!

Margot

• Munchbrother September 8, 2008, 9:37 pm

Allen,
    You have again come up with a simple delicious recipe. Will need to link to this as my readers would also enjoy such a fresh and healthy condement.

Munchbrother

• moozie56 September 9, 2008, 4:33 am

Morning Allen,
    I am a transplanted southerner, now living in Wyoming. I always had access to fresh figs because I had my own trees but here I don’t have that luxury. Do you know where I can get fresh figs here or an online site that might ship them? I really want to try this recipe on hot biscuits!

Thanks,
    Moozie56

• Allen September 9, 2008, 8:52 am

Coffee and Vanilla: Thanks!

Munchbrother: Thank you!

Moozie56: Sorry to hear that you haven’t been able to find figs. I have never bought them online but I did find one possibility. They are expensive but if you really really want figs, it may be an option:

• Y September 10, 2008, 8:28 pm

Figs and cinnamon.. yum! I usually go through phases of loving and leaving jam, but homemade jam is one of those things I’d never say no to trying at least once.

• Jude September 11, 2008, 7:52 am

I always have cinnamon on hand but as for the figs.. Well they never last long in their whole form so I’m gonna need to buy lots to make this…

• Cinnamon Bark Oil September 23, 2008, 11:13 am

have tried many things with cinnamon, including cinnamon tea. have to try making this cinnamon-fig jam.

• kri September 25, 2008, 12:01 pm

There is a delicious tapas of chorizo and figs in a balsamic reduction served at our local Tapas bars. This is the closest recipe I could find online:

• robin @ caviar and codfish October 8, 2008, 9:59 am

I’m not much of a jam lover either, but do it for the same laziness reasons. And it feels so special to jar up some jam and give it away as gifts.

• MorgansMenu November 5, 2008, 12:04 am

Great post! I made a Fig and Muscat Compote that is quite similar…Gotta love some figgy goodness!

• Lele January 20, 2009, 2:40 pm

The jam is gorgeous. Allen – have you tried making it with dried mission figs? The cooking time may increase and you might need to add a little more liquid but I think it would be a good substitute when you can’t find fresh figs.

• tinabocs June 8, 2009, 7:12 pm

hi! can you substitute cinnamon powder for the bark? thanks!

• Linda July 2, 2009, 4:05 pm

Hi, I have alot of figs to get rid of. Could I use your exact recipe for the cinnamon fig jam for canning or do I need to add pectin? Thanks you, Linda

• Spike D Punch July 26, 2009, 10:32 pm

While I have only a lime tree, many houses in older neighborhoods in Phoenix have a grapefruit tree, and mounds of grapefruit are often free for the taking in my office lunchroom. Fruit must picked to prevent infestations of roof rats. Do you have a recipe for Grapefruit Marmalade that will make use of some of our local bounty?

• Teresa August 17, 2009, 6:24 pm

This is the post to which my ‘fig jam search’ connected. I will certainly try it if all 2 dozen figs on my little fig tree actually ripen!

• Megan August 21, 2009, 7:50 pm

I have this on my stove top as we speak…I can’t wait to try the finished product! :)

• joanne August 26, 2009, 8:14 pm

Just tried your recipe with addition of ginger and I have to say it really is the best fig jam I have ever made! Thanks for the inspiration!

• orit November 8, 2009, 8:57 pm

just made the recipe- it’s great. What I did do differently is that I used one of those sticks that mush things up (I can never come up with the name of this ingenious machine) some 20 minutes into the process which gave the jam a more homogeneous consistency- some might consider this cheating, but it did come out quite wonderful. thanks.