Frozen Grapes: a refreshing snack

Although our hot Summer weather is nearly over, the past two weeks have been up near 100F. Working from home has its advantages but when the heat kicks in … it can be less than ideal without air conditioning. To beat the heat, I drink plenty of ice-cold water and try to find low-calorie ways to keep cool. While raisins may be nature’s candy, frozen grapes are nature’s bite-sized popsicle treats.

I received a large sack of grapes last Friday and since I was the only person at home last week, it was a race to finish the grapes, pears and apples before something went bad. The grapes seemed the most fragile so I threw them into the freezer immediately.

Simply wash and pat dry the grapes, then place into a freezer bag. Allow them to freeze for a few hours. Normally, I pluck them all off the vine before freezing but this time decided to see what would happen if left on the stem. They froze perfectly and were easy to pull of the stems once frozen. Actually, it made it easier for me to grab a frozen bunch and run off to my home office to answer emails in the blistering heat.

Cool and so refreshing, the grapes don’t become rock solid as you might think. They are firm but easy to bite into, like a naturally flavored grape popsicle in a bite-sized shape. So when you can’t finish your grapes or when you find them on sale, freeze them for a delicious treat!

• Peter G September 15, 2008, 1:13 am

I agree Allen…this is a great summer time treat!

• Manggy September 15, 2008, 2:22 am

Lol, “answer emails in the blistering heat.” What, keyboard afire? :) Kidding. Okay, you win this round– it’s only 90°F max here today. Feels a little hotter, though, or maybe it’s just me.
    Frozen grapes are my favorite treats in a frozen fruit salad. Actually it can be hard to decide between frozen pineapple, frozen peaches, or frozen cherries, but the grapes just win on refreshingness :)

• butercup September 15, 2008, 5:44 am

Hi Allen,

I find it amusing that your “hot summer weather is nearly over” and ours in Sydney has started early this year. Today was 30C (nearly 100F I think?) and Spring has only just started. Still, I’m keeping the grapes thing in mind for summer – I’ve got a toddler who I know is going to be demanding something to keep cool and I’m trying to steer clear of sugary (and messy!) ice creams and junk. Also a great way to make sure she gets some liquid into her.

Thanks for the tip!

• kat September 15, 2008, 6:26 am

All my friends are complaining about the heatwave there as well, nutty weather! I’ve heard frozen grapes are amazing

• Tiffany September 15, 2008, 6:30 am

This is my very favorite healthy snack. I’m glad to see that others like it, too!

• Ben September 15, 2008, 6:34 am

Brilliant! :p

• Peter September 15, 2008, 7:33 am

I think these belong in my sangria as ice cubes…what ya waiting for…get the punch bowl!

• Jen September 15, 2008, 7:57 am

Allen- this is so funny. My grandma loved frozen grapes. She was always watching her cholesterol and would only eat ice cream on super special occasions and kept grapes in her freezer for an everyday treat.

• farida September 15, 2008, 3:41 pm

Wow, what a fantastical idea:) I have never thought of it, Allen! Thanks for the trick!

• Graeme September 15, 2008, 4:54 pm

You must have read my mind (Or I yours), because that’s exactly how I discovered them too. I was taken in by the unique, chewy sort-of frozen centres as well.

• Allen September 15, 2008, 5:27 pm

Peter G: I hear it’s heating up down south, so you better stock up on grapes :-)

Manggy: I agree that grapes are one of the better frozen fruits. It’s cooled off here this week, so you’re likely having much hotter weather than me now!

Buttercup: Wow, it’s certainly gotten warm quickly in Sydney! The frozen grapes will make for a healthy treat for your little one, just be careful with serving them to a young toddler since grapes can be a choking hazard. You may want to consider blending a handful of frozen grapes with some fruit juice to make a grape slush — that could be good too!

Kat: Next time you have some grapes, give it a try — I think you’ll enjoy them

Tiffany: Hooray, I’m not alone!

Ben: Thank you!

Peter: Mmmm, now you’re talkin’ – let’s get that sangria started :-)

Jen: Haha – your grandma was on to something good :-)

Farida: Glad to share the tip with you

Graeme: Ahhh, we must be on the same wavelength right now — are you craving Turkish food? I am :-) You’re so right – the frozen grape texture is unique and satisfying.

• Angela September 15, 2008, 6:36 pm

What a great idea! I’ve never thought of that. So perfect for these muggy days. Thanks!

• Alex September 15, 2008, 8:34 pm

It’s the high sugar content of the grapes that keeps them from freezing through.

• heather September 15, 2008, 9:45 pm

i love freezing grapes, too! they’re so delicious! the pics are LOVELY!

• Zoë François September 15, 2008, 11:33 pm

So simple and perfect. I grew up eating these and my hippie parents had me convinced they were “candy!” I wish I could get away with that with my kids. ;)

• Alex September 16, 2008, 7:02 am

Wow, not done these since I was a littlun. Such a good idea. Lovely photo too

• helen September 16, 2008, 8:11 am

Wow! I would never have thought to put grapes in the freezer but I am very curious to try it! I am glad to hear they stay somewhat soft too. I may have to wait a whole year to try them though, it is now cold in the UK…

• Jude September 16, 2008, 11:09 pm

Ha… I thought I as alone in enjoying this. It’s so addictive… I keep walking up to the freezer every few minutes until they run out.

• farida September 17, 2008, 9:48 pm

Allen, guess what:) As I am writing this comment I am happily munching on some delicious frozen grapes:) Thanks a lot for such a wonderful idea! I agree, the grapes do not get rock solid, they have such a interesting texture to them – soft but firm at the same time. Delicious!

• farida September 17, 2008, 9:49 pm

I meant to say firm but soft at the same time:) I am still munching:)

• Susan from Food Blogga September 20, 2008, 6:17 pm

I just love frozen fruit like this, but not as much as I love that picture. It’s fantastic!

• Tony September 23, 2008, 2:37 pm

I remember the day when one of my roommates in college opened my eyes to the wonders of frozen grapes!!! I personally prefer freezing the green ones, but all grapes are welcome in my freezer :)

• anna April 16, 2009, 8:19 pm

i thought i was the only one who is crazy for the frozen deliciousness that is known as thefrozen grapes. right now i’m munching on them as i’m procrastinating on my records management homework. although where i live i eat them all year round its not really a sunny ie warm area here in washington

• steve August 1, 2009, 4:31 pm

When grape start showing up in great numbers here on the Texas Coast, we buy LOTS of grapes.
    Wash them, pull them from the stems, and package them in snack size zip-lock type bags, and load up the deep freeze.
    They help cool your core body temp as well.
    Great after working in the yard especially.

• Kay February 20, 2010, 8:59 pm

I just found yesterday how great frozen grapes can be! I’ve known about them for 2 years from a pen pal I wrote, but never tried it. Well, last night I got a big bunch of green grapes and put a little bit into a freezer bag and froze them for a while. Later that night, I opened them up and was so surprised…delicious, refreshing, pure, healthy. The skin has a bit of a firm crunch to it, not unlike it’s unfrozen counterpart. Just under the very surface a delicious sweety-rich flavor, and perfectly smooth texture awaits you. These are my new favorite snack!