Sesame Green Beans: Simply Sexy

I don’t know why I continue to overuse the word ‘sexy’. I really need to consult a thesaurus as I need to boost my descriptive word choices. But, for now, these sesame green beans will have to remain ‘sexy’.

My brother came over for dinner earlier this week and we are both eating much healthier these days. I made a broiled salmon and served it over these flavorful beans. The recipe is quick and simple, so don’t blink or you’ll miss it.

Blanch the beans, toss with a teaspoon of sesame oil, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Before blanching, I trimmed my beans then added to boiling water. I cooked them for about 3 minutes until they became vibrant green and started to become tender. I drained them and added back to the pan where I tossed with the drizzle of sesame oil and sesame seeds.

Don’t let simplicity fool you – the sesame oil perfumes the air and gives the beans a light nutty flavor. The toasted sesame seeds add a little extra crunch and pop with toasty goodness when you bite into the beans. Sesame oil is a great pantry investment as a tiny amount can add so much flavor to stir-fry, soups, and salads.

I also planned to add fresh lemon zest for a citrus kick but we were talking and somewhere along the way I forgot to add it. A pinch of red pepper flake or chopped red chilies would be a nice addition too.

My brother hadn’t experienced having his dinner plated and photographed before eating, so he patiently watched while I did my thing. I tried to be quick but our dinner ended up a lukewarm .. the price you have to pay for doing writing a food blog. :-)

Tomorrow I will post the broiled salmon that accompanied these delicious beans. I used a mustard glaze with lots of herbs and garlic.

• Christie@fig&cherry September 9, 2008, 1:04 am

I agree Allen, they’re definitely sexy! I’d add a splash of soy sauce for a nice salty finish.

• Manggy September 9, 2008, 2:36 am

Well, I don’t blame you… They are quite sexy (I mean, sexy enough for a vegetable, hee). How about arousing/ sensual? No good?
    I find that my usual problem when cooking green beans is I love adding quite a bit of salt or butter to them :) But I think adding some red pepper instead should satisfy me!

• Peter G September 9, 2008, 2:40 am

“Sexy” is the word Allen…it’s the new black!..LOL I love beans cooked in any way and form and this is another beautiful recipe to add to the collection.

• PG September 9, 2008, 3:00 am

Looks great! I was wondering how to use my huge bottle of sesame seed oil hubby brought on my request from the chinese shop near his office. Now, this is a great idea.
    BTW, I was just wondering. Do you think the beans have been cooked long enough (3 min.), ’cause of the phytotoxin PHA, a lectin, present in them? I always tend to cook them for very long, just to be sure. I always wonder why so many cooks served them green on TV.

• Peter September 9, 2008, 5:30 am

Allen, I love green beans, especially with sesame oil and seeds…sexxy!

• kat September 9, 2008, 6:29 am

I think green beans are usually best when done simply. You gotta feel sorry for the people in our lives always waiting for the food to be photographed

• canarygirl September 9, 2008, 7:21 am

Oh my Gawd, Allen. These *are* totally sexy. Love sesame…LOVE it.

• Daniel September 9, 2008, 7:36 am

Allen:

I”m in love with the new layout, very efficient. Also, those green beans look absolutely delicious. I’m doing these very soon!

• Susan from Food Blogga September 9, 2008, 7:49 am

I bought some blue lake green beans last week that were definitely sexy. It’s about time the humble green bean gets a make-over!

• Ruth E September 9, 2008, 8:00 am

These sound delicious!!! I’ve been loving the taste of sesame recently

• Allen September 9, 2008, 9:51 am

Christie@fig&cherry:
    Soy sauce would be a great addition!

Manggy:
    Maybe senssual, but not arousing … that would just be overselling the beans :-)

Peter G:
    LOL — well then, the new black it is!

PG:
    Asian markets are the best place to find sesame oil since the it will be much less expensive :-) I must admit that I’ve never heard of concern with cooking string beans (aka green beans) briefly and often see it recommended. Cooks Illustrated suggests boiling green beans anywhere from 2-5 minutes based on the size of the beans. Unfortunately, I’m not an authority on such things and always recommend readers check proper authorities if they have any concerns with cooking methods.

Peter:
    Thanks! Glad to have you back!

Kat:
    Haha … I’m sure Matt has gotten used to it :-)

Canarygirl:
    Thank you!

Daniel:
    Glad you’re liking the new layout – let me know how your beans turn out.

Susan from Food Blogga:
    I agree — beans don’t need to be boring!

Ruth E:
    Me too – I can’t seem to get enough sesame. I’ve even been sprinkling toasted sesame seeds on my cold cereal.

• Ben September 9, 2008, 3:18 pm

I would have never used the word sexy to describe green beans, but that pic definitely makes them look sexy. Hehe. Nice way to prepare them.

• [eatingclub] vancouver || js September 9, 2008, 11:39 pm

Well, they are sexy! What else to call them? ;)

• Y September 10, 2008, 8:20 pm

What a beautiful picture.. Sexy indeed!

• Jude September 11, 2008, 7:34 am

I like the smell when sesame seeds hit hot food. Sexy is certainly one way to describe it.

• foodhoe September 14, 2008, 8:53 pm

Mmm, did you toast the sesame seeds too? Your brother’s patience paid off, your picture is lovely.