Spicy Gingersnap Recipe

Spicy and crisp, gingersnaps are one of my favorite cookies. When I buy a bag of them, they quickly disappear within 24 hours. It’s difficult to only eat one at at time.

I came across this recipe from Farmgirl Fare and the cookies turn out in-fricken-credible! Seriously, I can’t go back to store-bought after trying these homemade gingersnaps.

The recipe makes a large batch and I assume this is on purpose, since the cookies will disappear quickly. I made the recipe as written with the exception of substituting in 1 cup of whole wheat flour and using Smart Balance 50/50 sticks in place of the butter and vegetable oil ingredients. I even bought a small cookie scoop in order to make perfect looking cookies.

The recipe notes that you may want to refrigerate or slightly freeze the dough in order to work with it. Maybe it was because I added the whole wheat flour, but my dough wasn’t too soft to handle. I immediately started to bake the cookies after mixing the dough. I wanted my cookies to be crisp so I baked for about 12-13 minutes. As they cool, they will harden. At first they didn’t seem fully crisp all the way through but after sitting in a container overnight (well, for the cookies that made it through the night), they were completely crisp the following day.

For self-preservation, I decided to freeze a few dozen of the cookies to help pace myself on over-dosing. Cookie dough freezes easily and makes for a quick pop-in-the-oven treat after a long day at work. Simply scoop your dough onto a parchment lined tray and freeze until solid, then bag into whatever quantity you’d like. I froze 3 bags of a dozen cookie dough balls. When ready to bake, you don’t even need to thaw them. Place the frozen dough onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake for the full 14 minutes.

I’m already thinking that the gingersnaps would make perfect treats for my neighbors this Christmas. I usually make something and hand out to everyone on our street. One year I made chocolate truffles and last year I made dog biscuits (everyone on our street owns dogs!). This may just be the year of the gingersnap!

• Peter G October 16, 2008, 6:03 pm

Great effort Allen! They look delicious.

• Gera October 16, 2008, 6:09 pm

Hi Allen,

These cookies looks great, especially this combination of spicy-crunchy-sweet that give a very nice balance in your mouth!
    I’ve the same problem with these types of beauties; they’ve a short life of few hours ;)
    Keep up with these wonderful sweeties :)

Cheers!

• Hélène October 16, 2008, 6:09 pm

I love gingersnaps so much. They came out perfect. I’ll take a dozen.

• Munchbrother October 16, 2008, 7:14 pm

Simple and tasty recipe highly reccomended

• patsyk October 16, 2008, 7:22 pm

Those look like the most perfect cookies!

• food librarian October 16, 2008, 8:27 pm

Love these! Must make these! I bet these would make a fantastic gingersnap crust too. I love my three different scoops (each size makes the perfect little or big cookie!)

• Culinary Cory October 16, 2008, 8:39 pm

These look so inviting. I really like the photo with the dough balls. It’s like saving a little bit of heaven for later.

• Ginny October 16, 2008, 9:24 pm

My family has always called me many variations of Ginger…Gingersnap being one of them…so I always considered them my cookies! hehe! They look excellent! :)

• Manggy October 16, 2008, 9:41 pm

Hey, why not enter these for Sugar High Friday? It could be your first entry for SHF! (I don’t think you would have imagined joining that blog event after you’d resolved to eat healthier, hahaha.)
    I once ate some locally-produced gingersnaps. I thought my perfect, cavity-free teeth would shatter. But I still couldn’t get enough! Weird. I think they want it to be really crisp so it soaks up milk more. Maybe I ought to try these and underbake them as I like!

• Beadie October 17, 2008, 6:46 am

Yum! My dear husband loves gingersnap cookies!

• Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) October 17, 2008, 6:48 am

Love the discipline of freezing the cookie dough balls and saving them to bake off on another day. I’m not sure, with a husband who’s a cookie dough lover, my unbaked dough would ever make it to the oven!

• Peter October 17, 2008, 6:59 am

I love ginger snaps and another use for them is a pie crust…c’mon, let’s see a pie!

• kat October 17, 2008, 7:10 am

Oh I bet those are so good. I’m imagining using them to make sandwich cookies!

• RecipeGirl October 17, 2008, 7:51 am

Gingersnap lover here. These look great- I haven’t experimented yet w/ baking with the Smart Balance. Good to know it works out.

Have you ever tried a little pepper in your gingersnaps? It turns them into hot & spicy!

• paoix October 17, 2008, 7:55 am

i don’t have gingersnaps a lot but when i do they’re great! thanks for sharing the recipe

• Erin October 17, 2008, 8:40 am

Oh Allen…I have a gingersnaps post scheduled to appear at lunchtime today. This cracks me up! You’re like my baking and cookbooking twin these days.

Mine have white pepper though so they’re cooler ;)

xoxo

• Paula October 17, 2008, 10:36 am

I’m currently addicted to Trader Joe’s Triple Ginger cookies, so I think I’ll be adding some fresh and Thai crystallized (cause I have some) ginger to this recipe. Thanks for the reminder that FarmGirl has that recipe!

• Allen October 17, 2008, 10:41 am

Manggy: I hadn’t thought about joining SHF … I’ll let it go for this week. I don’t want to append my post to include SHF when that wasn’t my original intent. Maybe I’ll make a pie in the future :-)

RecipeGirl: I haven’t tried adding pepper but I like the sound of it!

Erin: That’s too f’ing funny! I love when strange coincidences like this happen – we are just in sync with one another :-)

Too bad that you ruined your cookies by adding white pepper though (haha, just kidding). I’m jumping over to your blog now to check them out.

• Patricia Scarpin October 17, 2008, 10:42 am

These will make wonderful gifts for Xmas, Allen!

• heather October 17, 2008, 2:33 pm

mmmm those look SO GOOD! I’ve been wanting to try making my own ginger snaps for awhile. these look like they turned out perfectly!

• Q October 18, 2008, 5:17 am

YUMMY! You know what I finished this week? A box of ANZAC cookies with a ginger twist which I bought from Whole Foods, and was thinking “hhhmmmmmmm – Ginger Snaps from the Cookie Man” (like Mrs Fields in Australia)! Those cookies are more thin than yours and are really crunchy (they snap), but I think the taste would be very similar! You’ve completed my week just with the photo and blog entry! I’m done. Thank you!

• Farmgirl Susan October 19, 2008, 11:57 am

Hi Allen,
    I’m so glad you had such delicious success with my recipe. Your photos are gorgeous! Thanks for the great review and the link. I love the idea of tossing in a cup of whole wheat flour. I’ve been doing that with lots of recipes (usually white whole wheat for desserts), but haven’t tried it with these cookies. And yes, they make wonderful holiday gifts! I package two or three dozen in little cellophane bags and tie them with curly red ribbon. : )

• Jude October 19, 2008, 1:00 pm

It’s a bit scary how neat your kitchen is. My kitchen is a mess whenever I bake anything.

• Scott October 21, 2008, 11:55 am

Allen / Farmgirl, I made these on Sunday… WOW oh WOW they are so good. Needless to say they did not weigh down the cookie jar for long…. In fact my boyfriend told me this morning to get them out of the house and to take them to the office… or he would be forced to eat every last one of them… thanks again!!

• Susan from Food Blogga October 21, 2008, 6:34 pm

I love the versatility of gingersnaps in fall desserts– to crush them for a crust or a crumble topping. But would you believe I haven’t made a batch of homemade ones yet? This will have to change since you say they are in-friken-credible!

• Emily November 17, 2008, 4:21 pm

I discovered your website while looking for something to do with the hundreds of oranges and satsumas I have in my kitchen right now. I’m trying the orange recipes you posted earlier this year. But, I’m also thinking (like you) that I’ll be making these gingersnaps for Christmas presents. I can’t wait to try them!!

• Deborah Dowd November 19, 2008, 9:52 pm

I love my gingersnaps crisp and so spicy they are almost peppery. I want to try this. Gingersnaps and milk are my weakness in the fall and winter.