Orange Cran-licious Bread

My mother almost always made everything from scratch. She baked her own breads, cookies, and even cakes. But on occasion, she would use Bisquick baking mix to make biscuits or an infamous “Impossibly Easy Pies“. As a kid, I thought Bisquick was incredibly magical — just add a few ingredients and you could make muffins, pancakes, coffee cake or even pie!

Although I also enjoy making baked goods from scratch, I buy a box of Bisquick now and again for the memories. These past few weeks I’ve been cleaning out my cupboards in anticipation of moving from California to British Columbia early next year (more on that coming soon). I’m slowly using up all of my baking ingredients and relying more on my Bisquick since it contains everything I need in a single box (flour, baking powder, oil/fat).

When my CSA delivered a bag of fresh cranberries last Friday, I knew immediately that I wanted to make cranberry bread boosted with lots of orange flavor. I used a jar of the orange marmalade that I made earlier in the year to give the bread a deep orange flavor. To give it a bright and fresh zine, I then added freshly grated orange zest and juice. The result in a wonderfully delicious and moist bread that is easy and quick to make. Oh, and it’s also quite delicious!

Orange-Cranberry Bread
3 cups Reduced-Fat Bisquick
2/3 cup orange marmalade
zest and juice of 1 orange
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 egg beaten
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
2/3 cup pecans

Mix Bisquick, marmalade, orange juice, orange zest, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon and egg. Beat together until the batter forms. Stir in cranberries and nuts until combined. Pour into a greased bread pan. Bake at 350F for about 1 hour or until it tests done. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before tipping out of the pan. Cool completely before slicing.

The cranberries look like bright red jewels in the bread. I don’t work with cranberries often and to be honest … it’s only around the holidays. Cranberries kind of freak me out since they are so wicked on their own. I mean … no one sits around nibbling on fresh cranberries. It’s not until you cook them (with plenty of sugar) that they morph into a deliciously tangy and juicy berry.

I still have another cup or so of fresh cranberries left so trying to figure out what to make next. There is always a ‘mock cherry pie which I find absolutely intriguing. Maybe I can craft an Impossibly Easy Mock Cherry Pie? :-)

• Manggy November 17, 2008, 9:35 pm

Yay, you’re back! We missed you :) I checked out the impossibly easy pie. That’s cheating– it’s not pie at all!! And yet– I find it strangely compelling. You see, I like both cake and pie (HUSH NOW), and this weirdly seems like a perfect combination of both. Hmmm… (tries to remember if there’s Bisquick sold here)
    Anyway, really easy and tasty recipe you’ve posted here (effectively 4 sentences)– I like how you’ve used marmalade (great way to use it up too, Mr. Pantry).

• Culinary Cory November 17, 2008, 9:35 pm

I really like baking things from scratch, but there are days when it’s ok to get a little help from the box. I’ve been playing with Bisquick for a couple of recipes and they are really quite tasty. Great idea to use the orange marmalade to enhance the flavor.

• kat November 17, 2008, 11:15 pm

Wow, you are moving to Canada!? Can’t wait to hear more.
    I use Bisquick from time to time too but have never tried it to make bread, it looks fabulous

• Queenie November 18, 2008, 12:31 am

Tried to see if there was anything new today, then thank goodness I checked again! This looks so festive too!

• Peter G November 18, 2008, 3:20 am

I’ve never heard of Bisquick…now I’m intrigued! The bread looks delicious though with those beautiful cranberries.

• Snotty McSnotterson November 18, 2008, 3:22 am

I made it here from offbeatbride.com, then got a wild hair and made this delectable bread! I really enjoy your blog…well thought-out and wonderful photos. I like!

• Cody November 18, 2008, 7:50 am

I’m a sucker for anything orange-cranberry… and that looks awesome.

The marmalade post is awfully purty, too. (And now I’m hungry…)

• Gera November 18, 2008, 8:18 am

Hi Allen!

Ohh next year you’ll be in Canada, new place, new experiences to share!
    This bread looks gorgeous to make it for breakfast, I’ll add in my list to try it but I’ll find a substitute of Bisquick, I don’t have here.

• patsyk November 18, 2008, 11:50 am

I love that you used orange marmelade! As I was reading it, I thought I’d see orange zest and some fresh OJ in the recipe instead. Beautiful bread!

• Christie @ fig&cherry November 18, 2008, 11:54 am

Love, love, love the name of this post! Makes me wanna lick the screen ;)

• Erin November 18, 2008, 1:42 pm

I just love the bright jewel-like color and hearty texture of your latest bread creation. Bonus points for not being afraid to break out the Bisquick.

• Susan from Food Blogga November 18, 2008, 9:36 pm

I have a box of heart-healthy Bisquick in my cupboard. Maybe I should whip it out to make this bread.

• FamilyFirst November 18, 2008, 10:02 pm

Your bake looks soooo lovely as it rose up so well! Too bad cranberries and any other type of berries are all tooo expensive down in Asia.

• Jacqueline November 18, 2008, 11:35 pm

Oh my gosh! I have a box of Bisquick that I got from a friend, plus a jar of orange marmalade, plus a bag of pecans all waiting to be loved, and now loved they will be!
    Seriously, you have no idea how happy your recipe has made me.

• Emily November 21, 2008, 8:58 am

Hey Allen, thanks for the heads-up about this recipe. My marmalade turned out really well. I used some satsumas in place of some of the oranges and I think that’s why I like it so much. The only thing I will change next time I make it (and there WILL be a next time) is to use only half a packet of pectin. I’d rather it be less firm than it is.

With that said, this bread will be a good way to use some of the “bit too firm” marmalade!

FYI: My hubby loves those molasses spice cookies. I’m testing them out on my co-workers today!

• Emily November 25, 2008, 2:57 pm

Popping in again to say I made this bread a few days ago. I’ve only eaten it like cake so far and it’s nice that way. I can’t wait to slice a piece, toast it and put a little butter on it.

The co-workers loved the spice cookies.

Also, my boss and a co-worker who are both HUGE marmalade fans asked for jars of marmalade to bring home, so it was a hit!

• Jude December 2, 2008, 12:56 am

Orange and cranberry always work so well together. I think it’s time to get a box of bisquick or something.