10 Unique Uses for Hard Boiled Eggs

century_eggs1

Easter is just around the corner and soon everyone will be trying to figure out what to do with their surplus of boiled eggs. Sure, it may have seemed like a good idea to boil and decorate a dozen or two, but now what?

Instead of egg salad or potato salad, I suggest exploring new ways to use your boiled eggs. Many cultures use boiled eggs and I’ve taken inspiration from world cuisine in compiling this list of recipes. Not only will you be trying a new recipe, hopefully you’ll also be exploring new spices, cooking methods, and flavors!

10 Unique Uses for Hard Boiled Eggs

1. French-Style Pizza With Brie & Hard Boiled Eggs
  2. Hard-Boiled Eggs Florentine
  3. Hard-Boiled Egg Oatmeal Cookies
  4. Estonian Nettle Soup with Eggs & Herbs
  5. Thai Fried Hard Boiled Eggs
  6. Indian Egg Curry
  7. Danish Eggs
  8. German-Style Pickled Eggs
  9. Mexican Papadzules
  10. Ancient Roman ‘In Ovis Apalis’

Additionally, you can integrate boiled eggs in to almost any dish:

• Add chopped eggs as a topper for any salad
  • Add egg slices on crispy, buttered toast
  • Add whole boiled eggs to any soup or stew
  • Add chopped eggs to a casserole

Egg resources:

If you have any additional suggestions for using leftover boiled eggs, leave them in the comments section following the post. Personally, I love eating them as-is. My second favorite is sliced and piled on top of hot buttered toast.

• Paula April 7, 2009, 10:40 am

I hadn’t planned on making any Easter Eggs, but I will now! Thanks Allen!

• Arundathi April 7, 2009, 11:18 am

Here are 2 from my blog:
    Deviled Eggs – http://tinyurl.com/c8zote and
    Egg Salad – http://tinyurl.com/c7yjv3

• Lorraine April 7, 2009, 12:29 pm

What a fun post.

May I add:

* Scotch Eggs–I have my own recipe, but no time to post, see http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Scotch-Eggs-11508

*Braided Easter Bread http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Braided-Easter-Egg-Bread/Detail.aspx

* Classic American Deviled Eggs http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001837deviled_eggs.php

My family also likes sieved hard boiled eggs as a condiment with curry and sprinkled on top of black bean soup.

• The Diva on a Diet April 7, 2009, 3:16 pm

Hi there, I just clicked over from ProBlogger … and boy is this post timely! Well done, you’ve not only mastered the task, but provided us with some excellent info. Thanks!

I will admit to doing a double take on the hard boiled egg cookies … but they look fantastic. Great list and I will bookmark/share.

Cheers!

• Heidi from Savory Tv April 7, 2009, 7:36 pm

I’ve been aching to try egg on a pizza. Thanks for the collection! Cheers!

• Christina@DeglazeMe April 7, 2009, 8:32 pm

If you’re in a charitable mood, you can put hard boiled eggs in individual ziptop baggies, and hand them out to your city’s homeless population. Hard-boiled eggs are an ideal food item for homeless individuals, since they are nutritious and protein-packed, and aren’t too perishable.

• KIm April 8, 2009, 12:06 am

Great and timely list. If I may be so bold as to suggest hard boiled eggs with this tapenade recipe for another tasty treat. Your site is so interesting and I really enjoy your Tweets.

• Arwen from Hoglet K April 8, 2009, 5:20 am

I’ve never made dyed Easter eggs but I’m hoping to try it this year. I guess I’ll be back for the boiled egg recipes soon :)

• kat April 8, 2009, 7:56 am

Matt keeps telling me about the Egg Salad Pizza his mom used to make with the eggs at Easter, I’m not sold

• Culinary Cory April 8, 2009, 11:14 am

Who knew a picture of eggs could look so good. I’m a classic kind of guy and love a good old fashioned deviled egg.

• Amanda April 13, 2009, 8:06 pm

Excellent ideas Allen, thanks!