Dutch Baby Pancakes w/Eggs & Chorizo

Dutch Baby Pancake

Yesterday was not special. I worked. I blogged. I drank too much coffee. I ate too many shortbread cookies. I regretted not blogging more. I regretted drinking too much coffee. I hated myself for not buying more shortbread cookies.

As the clock neared 5pm, I gave up hope that the night be would any different than my day. Joe was working late and I had no clue what to make for dinner. I contemplated submitting to take-out food but something about it didn’t interest me enough to dig through the drawer of menus.

And then, I remembered reading recently about Dutch Baby Pancakes and it reminded me how much I missed The Original Pancake House in San Jose where I used to order them. I pondered the thought of pancakes. How easy are they? They must be difficult since I don’t know of anyone who’s made them. Do I even have flour? I think I used up all the eggs. Wait. I don’t even know what ingredients it uses.

And, as if transported back in time, I remembered a childhood conversation with my father when he asked me the question. I cringe to even reflect on the painfully awkward, palm-sweating, eager-to-flee discussion with my father when he sat me down and asked … do you know how babies are made?

Well, I failed the question back then and again yesterday. I ran a few searches and found two excellent Dutch Baby sources, Orangette (recipe) and Cooking with Amy (recipe). It seemed rather prophetic since I look forward to meeting them both in two weeks at a food blog conference.

Surprisingly, the ingredients are common and the process is easy. Why don’t more people make these puffy delights?

For those of you scratching your heads and wondering what I’m even rambling on about, Dutch Baby is a type of puffy pancake usually baked in a cast iron pan in the oven. The batter is thin and made of eggs, milk and flour. It’s poured into a hot buttery skillet, then baked at high heat (450-500F). The pancake raises inches into the air, getting crispy around the edges, then deflates when removed from the oven. It is served with a squirt of fresh lemon and a heavy sprinkle of powdered sugar.

I grew excited by the prospect of making a Dutch Baby and was relieved to see I had all the necessary ingredients. I used Amy’s recipe and cut it in half since Joe wouldn’t be home until later. I used a small 6″ skillet and increased the butter to 2 tablespoons per serving and used whole milk, as suggested. For an eggier version, Molly’s (Orangette) recipe uses more eggs, half and half, and more butter!

My only concern was whether it would be substantial enough for dinner. I love pancakes, but come on … you need to eat quite a few to feel full (right?). When we first moved to Vancouver, we ate at DeDutch for breakfast and had a rather enjoyable thin pancake topped with a fried egg and meat. I loved the sweet and savory combination and decided to fatten up my baby with a crispy-edged egg and chorizo.

The combination grew on me the more I thought about it. Pancake. Fried Egg. Chorizo. Sweet-salty-spicy-savory-crispy-soft. Perfection. Earlier in the day, I read MattBites post on Carne Asada Fries and found it rather intriguing. A seemingly odd pairings of ingredients which might otherwise be classified as bong-induced cooking. I set about working on dinner and wondered what people would think of my baby.

Dutch Baby Pancake

Dutch Baby Pancake

I didn’t plan to photograph or even blog about this until I saw the pancake rising in the oven. As it grew, so did my excitement. I quickly set up my lights and prepped my camera.

The pancake deflates in the middle, creating a perfect bowl in which to rest the egg and chorizo. The mix of runny yolk and powdered sugar with spicy chorizo was pure bliss. Seriously incredible. F**king good.

Have any of you made babies lately?

• Joe April 29, 2009, 3:09 pm

As Allen said, it was f**king good :) It was a PERFECT dish after a 13-hr day at work. I love eggs, sausages and pancakes with powdered sugar so that helps. I usually do not like the sweet/savory combination but the dish was sensational! I can have it EVERY DAY. Hint to Allen.

• megan April 29, 2009, 3:30 pm

I love Dutch Babies. I wonder why I don’t make them much. I’ll have to get back with it. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Larissa April 29, 2009, 5:13 pm

Dutch Babies was a foreign concept to me until a friend made me one a year ago. Deeeeeelicious! I’ll try my hand at one soon, and hopefully can be as successful as you.

• Allen April 29, 2009, 5:42 pm

Joe: Yes, I’ll make it again soon.

Megan: Go forth and make babies!

Larissa: You’ll find it easy — it’s exciting to see how quickly it puffs up. All of a sudden, it just magically rises up.

• Arundathi April 29, 2009, 6:17 pm

I love Dutch Babies too. Made them once and forgot about them! Thanks for reminding me. Love how yours look!

• helen April 29, 2009, 7:21 pm

Had a baby at a B&B on Salt Spring Island a few years back. It was all puffy and sweet.

Yours looks excellent. I’m a big fan of breakfast food for dinner.

P.S. Love your table runner.

• Peter G April 29, 2009, 8:18 pm

“bong induced cooking”…LOL! It’s an interesting idea ad I’m curious to try this for a casual Sunday breakfast.

• Q April 29, 2009, 9:52 pm

nice! and i love how your egg turned out :0) i LOVE these crispy-edged eggs – reminds me how my Mum made them! as for babies – yeah, last year!

• Laura Clarke April 30, 2009, 4:41 am

Do you how different these are from Yorkshire puddings?

• Culinary Cory April 30, 2009, 7:26 am

My friends and I joke every time I see a Dutch baby pan at a home store. I always turn to one of them and say, “hey there, want to make a baby?” I’ve never been inspired to take the leap and actually make a Dutch baby pancake. However, the addition of the egg and chorizo took me over the edge. I can see why it was so F***ing Good!

• kat April 30, 2009, 7:35 am

Oh yum! We love these at the Original Pancake House here in Edina as well. I’ve never seen them with a savory topping, brilliant!

• Allen April 30, 2009, 8:21 am

Arundathi: It’s time to make them again!

Helen: I feel a little bit like the Wizard of Oz revealing my secret … you see, we don’t have a true dining room table nor table runner (such luxuries don’t exist in our 520 sq ft). What you’re seeing is a dark brown IKEA shelf (which we didn’t use in our bookcase), placed on the floor, draped with a colorful dish towel :-)

Peter G: My “Bong-Induced Cooking” cookbook will be on store shelves in time for Christmas :-)

Q: We both love crispy eggs — my great grandmother always made them for me this way (usually fried in bacon grease for extra richness). I fried this one in the chorizo grease.

Culinary Cory: Baby making pans? Oh my — haven’t seen those. Any skillet will do – no need to buy protection. :-)

Kat: I’m missing the buckwheat pancakes from Original Pancake House too … will need to make those soon too :-)

• Allen April 30, 2009, 8:28 am

Laura: Good question! I have not made Yorkshire Pudding but in looking at recipes, it’s nearly identical to Dutch Baby pancakes. The main differences are with Yorkshire Pudding being cooked using meat drippings and then served with a gravy. Dutch Baby pancakes are usually cooked with butter then topped with lemon and powdered sugar. Also, the Dutch Baby pancakes are made in a much larger size. Some Dutch Babyies are also flavored with a bit of sugar or vanilla which I didn’t do.

• Manggy April 30, 2009, 8:33 am

They kind of remind me of thinner Yorkshire puddings :) Ina Garten has something that looks similar in her new book. She calls them “Oven Pancakes.” I’m like Ina PLEASE. I’d rather have your babies, as they come with the promise of hearty meat and eggs :) So glad you didn’t pick up those menus!

• Kate April 30, 2009, 11:14 am

Oh my sweet Jesus, this is my favorite post of the day. I’ve made Dutch Babies (so easy), and I love breakfast for dinner. I am making this. THIS weekend. Thanks!

• Allen April 30, 2009, 11:18 am

Manggy: Yes, definitely like a sweet and larger version of Yorkshire puddings!

Kate: Haha! ‘Oh my sweet Jesus’ has got to be my favorite saying today! Too funny :-)

• Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer April 30, 2009, 3:27 pm

I love Dutch babies and there is no better place other than home of course than the Original Waffle house!! YUM!!!

• Lori @ RecipeGirl May 1, 2009, 7:33 pm

I’ve been to that very pancake house that you mention (I’m originally from San Jose!)

This is the perfect sort of dinner, in my opinion. I LOVE throwing egg on top of pancakes in general, and I’m thinking that chorizo was a really good addition there too. Great job makin’ that babe :)

• Kathy - Cooking On the Side May 1, 2009, 11:36 pm

Wow, you’ve really elevated Dutch babies to a whole new level! I’ve made them before but it never occurred to me what a great “plate” they made until I saw your photos. It’s definitely an impressive presentation.

• Michelle May 3, 2009, 6:26 am

Would love to try these cute pancakes. Incredible photos!

• Dana June 3, 2009, 8:34 am

The one time my husband and I tried making dutch pancakes, we used the Silver Palate recipe, and the whole thing was so drowned in butter that it was both tantalizingly delicious and, with each bite, increasingly repulsive. This post makes me want to try again, though – with, like, ten times less butter.

• zoe June 5, 2009, 7:55 am

I made it for mothers day. I spread pear preserves on it and topped with lemon juice and powdered sugar. Amazing. I like the egg inside the pancake, so cute!