How To Naturally Dye Easter Eggs

How to naturally dye easter eggs

With everyone ‘going green’, why not have a green Easter? Healthy, all-natural alternatives exist and make beautifully colored eggs (and are just as much fun to use).

I remember growing up with those egg coloring kits. You know the ones, little dye tablets and wire dippers. I can only imagine the chemicals in those dyes which stained my fingers, my clothes, and ultimately the eggs.

Healthy, natural alternative colorings likely exist in your cupboards or refrigerator right now. With a few simple ingredients, you can make all-natural, beautifully colored eggs and your family will enjoy it just as much.

And, when Easter is over and you’re wondering what to do with all of those eggs, try these 10 Unique Uses for Hard Boiled Eggs.

Egg Coloring Ideas
Mix any of these ingredients into a pan of cold water, enough to cover eggs. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar along with your eggs. Cover pan and bring to a boil, then continue simmering for 15-20 minutes. Allow pan to cool before removing eggs.

Yellow:

• Petals from 8 marigold flowers

Lavender:

• Grape juice
  • 2 bags frozen blueberries

Blue:

• 1 head chopped red cabbage

Notes: When using juices, do not add any water.

Staining Eggs

Since I always find my fingers stained horribly from beets, I decided to use a slice of fresh beet to stain one of the yellow colored eggs. Just take the egg and roll the beet slice over the surface to create a pattern. Blot the egg with a towel to remove any excess beet juice.

More sites with egg coloring ideas:

Do you have any natural egg dye techniques that you’d like to share? Add them to the comments section below.

• Lorraine April 8, 2009, 2:13 pm

Lovely–and beautifully photographed.

Onion skins also make pretty colors ranging from browns and tans to–surprisingly–bright yellow.

I’ve died cloth and lambs fleece with plant dyes–but not eggs. Will try in the next few days.

Thanks!

• Goldie April 8, 2009, 5:17 pm

These are pretty. I use boiled onion skins (from about eight onions, so then I make an onion kugel)for a yellow-orangey color and black beans give a great deep purple but you have to soak them overnight to get the best color.

Onion Kugel
    six to eight medium yellow onions sliced thin
    2 eggs
    1/4 C veg or chicken broth
    2 threads saffron (optional)
    1C flour or matzoh meal
    salt & pepper to taste
    1/2 C water
    olive oil to thoroughly coat 9X9 baking dish
    Mix all ingredients, drizzle additional oil on top, bake @ 350 for 1 1/2 hrs.

• Kate April 8, 2009, 6:38 pm

I just posted my favorite technique for natural Easter Eggs — it’s something my mother learned from her grandmother.

• Culinary Cory April 8, 2009, 7:41 pm

How you dyed the eggs was really creative. I like the idea of rubbing a beet on the egg to get the color.

• Christina@DeglazeMe April 8, 2009, 7:43 pm

Love the natural approach to dying eggs!

• HealthyHollywood April 8, 2009, 8:28 pm

Love these ideas- thank you!

• kat April 9, 2009, 7:30 am

What great ideas & they give beautiful pastel colors. All I’ve ever done are the ones with onion skins

• Jennifer April 9, 2009, 10:43 am

I haven’t done my Easter Eggs yet, so this seems like a great idea!

Your right, what chemicals are in those little pellets of dye!!

Have a Happy Easter!!

• Erin April 9, 2009, 4:04 pm

Very nice. I just made some seriously heinous looking eggs from one of those Paas dye kits. They are high-larious. CK made fun of them.

• Allen April 10, 2009, 10:34 am

I love the idea of using onion skins — it’s about time that those scraps could be made useful!

The craftsman egg idea is amazing and I’m eager to try it.

Thank you, everyone for your comments — keep the ideas coming!

• FoodieInDisguise April 13, 2009, 12:12 pm

Allen, I wish I had found your blog earlier this week. The nieces dyed their eggs on Saturday using that PAAS kit we all grew up with. What a messy affair – but fun.

Next year I’ll definitely try some of these greener methods!

Thanks for the info.