Piggy & Enchiladas Verdes

Mexican Enchiladas Verde in Piggy Dish

“They call me a pig? You should see the people eating the enchiladas!”
–Elle of Elle’s New England Kitchen

Thank you to Elle for providing this photo with an appropriate (how did she know??) caption. Since I hadn’t gotten around to posting the recipe, I decided to post this photo on Twitter (@eatingoutloud) and requested caption ideas. Thank you to everyone else who answered my plea and provided suggestions!

This poor little piggy has been holding his enchilada payload for the past week. I intended to write about him sooner but somehow my last post on doughnuts cut in line. But, don’t let my delay question the good taste of these enchiladas — they are spicy and delicious.

Mexican Enchiladas Verde
I bought ‘piggy’ about 2 years ago when we were visiting Old Town in San Diego. I found it in a shop and it just spoke to me … he’s rustic looking and kinda ugly (his little nose is crooked), so I had to take him home with me. I’ve been known to own a 3-legged dog and cats without tails — I’m an advocate for any underdog or ugly duckling.

Piggy usually sits on my counter and holds fruits, onions, etc. He’s been a faithful addition to the kitchen since arriving. While preparing this recipe, I decided it was his day to be glorified on my blog. Sadly, piggy has a secret that I learned about the hard way.

Piggy is Pomaireware, made of lead-free clay in Pomaire, Chile. This sounds all interesting and exotic … but piggy also carries with him an unpleasant taste. He had been washed many times previously, but he tainted my enchiladas with a strange flavor, so I had to quickly place them into another container after baking. Shame on piggy. Bad piggy. Back to the counter for piggy!

Fortunately, the enchiladas were arranged in two rows with the top row never touching piggy directly. I love tomatillos which are the base for the wonderfully green sauce used in making these enchiladas. I love the combination of the tangy-spicy tomatillo sauce next to the pools of melted monterey jack cheese.

Green Enchiladas

4 serrano chiles, seeded
2 lbs tomatillos, husked
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped coarsely
12 corn tortillas
oil for frying
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese

In a small pot: place chicken, 6 cups water, 2 garlic cloves, 1 piece onion, 1/2 tsp salt and carrot. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until done. Reserve the stock. Place chicken onto a plate and using two forks, shred it into pieces.

Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil, then add 2 garlic cloves and serrano chiles. Cook for 5 minutes and then add tomatillos. Cook for 7 minutes, then drain.

In a blender: puree the tomatillo mixture, adding the remaining piece of onion and cilantro. Add 1 cup of the reserved chicken stock. Add tomatillo mixture to a small pan and cook uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings. If it becomes too thick, add additional chicken stock. The resulting sauce should be pourable.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and add about 1/2″ oil. Fry each tortilla about 10 seconds on each side to soften. Set tortillas aside.

To prepare the enchiladas: take a tortilla and dip in the verdes sauce. Place some chicken into the center of the tortilla and roll up. Place filled tortillas in a baking dish in a row. Pour remaining sauce over the top. Cover baking dish with tin foil and bake for 10 minutes at 375F/190C. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese, then return to oven until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or fresh salsa.

Enchiladas Verde Served

The enchiladas are spicy which is why you should add the refreshing dollop of sour cream (or creme fraiche). It was exactly the mouth-tingling meal that I needed last week. The flavors reminded me of the 2 years I lived in Austin, TX – oh, how I miss the Tex-Mex food.

Fortunately, Joe isn’t much of a Mexican food guy and so I had the entire dish to myself which left me with a whole lot of enchiladas to eat (I’m not complaining!). I even ate the ones which piggy tainted. Bad piggy. Bad.

What’s your favorite enchilada filling? Chicken, beef, veggies? Red sauce? Green sauce?

enchiladas-verde_side

More enchilada ideas from other bloggers:
Cheese Enchiladas – Pinch My Salt
Enchiladas – Simply Recipes
Pumpking Chicken Enchiladas – Gluten Free Mommy
Chicken Enchiladas in Salsa Verdes – Closet Cooking
Beef Enchiladas – Nook & Pantry
Black Bean Enchiladas – Delish

• megan April 21, 2009, 2:44 pm

Cute piggy. I like chicken with red sauce but I’m starting ti lean more toward green. These look tasty and pretty easy to make. I feel a craving coming on! ;)

• Mark Scarbrough April 21, 2009, 3:05 pm

Well, holy cow, yum. And I, a Texas snot to boot who won’t take his enchiladas from just anybody. (Actually, that’s a lie. I’ll take a meal wherever I can get it!) This seems just the antidote for the cold that’s still holding on at my house.

• helen April 21, 2009, 5:07 pm

Perhaps piggy wants to come over and play?

Chicken and green sauce, for sure!

• Christina@DeglazeMe April 21, 2009, 5:30 pm

I love Old Town in San Diego! The dish is adorable, and the enchilada looks just fantastic. I like any meat in my enchilada… but preferably a nice fatty braised pork!

• Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) April 21, 2009, 10:31 pm

The enchiladas look wonderful, and I love that Mexican cookbook. But I’m also glad you mentioned the off-taste from the piggy; I almost bought one last year, and decided against because I didn’t think I’d use it much. Now I’m glad I passed it up.

• Christie @ Fig & Cherry April 22, 2009, 2:13 am

Sorry Piggy tastes bad – but at least he looks good! Really really cute :)

• heather April 22, 2009, 5:42 am

I might be moving to southeastern Texas in the next few months – this looks like the perfect dish to make in celebration. I adore the piggy platter!

Cheers,

*Heather*

• Elle April 22, 2009, 6:17 am

Oooh, glad you liked my caption! Of course, I know you’re not piggies, hehe. I love your pig dish, by the way–sorry he left a funky taste, though–good thing you wee able to salvage the top layer. There’s a pig dish in some catalog that I adore, but keep putting off ordering.

Anyway, you’re speaking to me with these enchiladas. I love love love them, anytime, anywhere. They look fabulous with all of that melty cheese!

• Peter G April 22, 2009, 7:15 am

Piggy is hilarious! And quite adorable too! As for the enchiladas, they look amazing! Love all the cheese and sour cream!

• Culinary Cory April 22, 2009, 7:23 am

This is such a cute story. Sounds like piggy won’t be gracing her presence on this site again anytime soon. Bad piggy. Bad.

• kat April 22, 2009, 8:06 am

I could not love that pig bowl more!

• kellypea April 22, 2009, 11:07 am

Enchiladas Verdes are one of my favorite Mexican dishes but I’ve never made them. Go figure! This recipe is tempting me though. I recognize Mr. Pig. He’s sold along with a few other pieces at the cooking store I shop at. I’m wondering if he needs to be cured? Rub in oil, fill w/ water and bake in a mod. oven for a couple of hours – wipe out & repeat a few times. Time consuming, but it’s what has to be done to a few other types of cooking vessels before use — who knows!

• Manggy April 22, 2009, 11:49 am

Humph! Bobby resents that! :)
    Enchiladas are my absolute favorite Mexican item– dangerous because it usually means I end up ordering them all the time and not giving other things a chance! I’m sure I’ll pig out on these pronto, too. See, you don’t need your beloved Taco Bell! :)

• oneshotbeyond April 22, 2009, 12:25 pm

the photographs are brilliant. I bet the enhee’s are good too!

• Kevin April 22, 2009, 6:40 pm

Those enchiladas look great! Nice baking dish!

• Cynthia April 23, 2009, 3:22 pm

Even as a vessel the pig is outstanding! :)