Chocolate Souffle Recipe

You can’t have a holiday weekend without a TV marathon that attempts to keep you indoors on an otherwise beautiful, sunny day. Normally, I don’t give in, even though I am a complete and total TV whore. I love TV and can always find something to amuse myself. Yesterday, I convinced myself to focus on a few neglected blog projects (i.e. scanning recipes for Recovered Recipes) and turned on the TV to serve as background noise.

The TV had been on for nearly 20 minutes before I noticed it was tuned to TLC and a Jon & Kate Plus 8 marathon. For those of you who haven’t heard of the series, it documents the daily lives of a young couple who have 8 young children. They became famous four years ago when Kate gave birth to sextuplets, and added to their family which already included a set of twins (let this be a warning to couples who decide to try for ‘one more’).

Recently, Jon & Kate have made headlines as there are now rumors flying that the marriage is on the rocks, with cheating allegedly occurring on both sides of the marriage. If you believe the media reports, the marriage is supposedly collapsing, falling quickly and steadily downward. Ironically, I chose yesterday to explore souffle making for the very first time.

Can you guess how my souffles turned out?

I’ve seen the recipes and heard the horror stories, but never attempted a souffle myself. While flipping through old recipes recently, I’ve encountered quite a number of souffle recipes from the middle 20th century and was curious to give souffle making a try. Sadly, this story does not have a completely happy ending.

Although the souffles tasted delicious, they fell before I had the chance to fully document how beautiful they were in the oven. I’ve seen some recipes use a bit of flour in the recipe, and I assume this helps give body and structure to the tender souffle. Next time, I will play with this recipe to add a bit in the hope it will help them retain their shape.

Chocolate Souffle
3 1/2 oz. dark chocolate (70%)
2 T butter (plus more for greasing ramekins)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 T strongly brewed coffee
4 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar

1. Roughly chop the chocolate and place in a double boiler along with the butter. You can use a glass bowl placed over a pan of boiling water. Stir until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat to cool.

2. In a small bowl, beat together the vanilla, egg yolk and coffee. Then, slowly stir into the cooled chocolate mixture, until combined.

3. In a mixer, beat the egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form.

4. Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until combined.

5. Grease 6 small (1/2 cup) ramekins with butter. Fill each one full and level off the tops with a spatula.

Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake at 400F (200C) for 10-15 minutes.

chocolate souffle

The souffles started a magical rise in the oven, at least a good inch higher than the rim of the ramekin. I turned away to go grab my camera equipment and when I returned to the oven, the souffles had already started to fall. I pulled them from the oven and took the photograph above.

Within minutes, they flattened into the saddest looking things I’ve ever seen.

chocolate souffle

Once they cooled, you could flip them out of the ramekins and eat them like cookies. Delicious, even though they weren’t light and airy.

I’m not giving up though. I intend to try making a savory souffle today for lunch, followed by a fruit souffle later in the week. I will keep trying until I succeed. In order to keep my hopes up, I tell myself that souffles are like marriage … sometimes you just need to work hard to make it through the difficult times. And sometimes, no matter how hard you try … they just collapse.

As for my new found addiction to Jon and Kate, the 5th season of their show premieres tonight and will address the recent rumors. Are they breaking up? Has the marriage fallen apart? Tune in to find out. We’ve already set it to record so we don’t miss it.

As for my upcoming souffles, you’ll find them here in the coming days.

Vintage souffle recipes:
Coffee Souffle – Recovered Recipes
Basic Cheese Souffle – Recovered Recipes
Hot Pineapple Souffle – Recovered Recipes

More souffle ideas:
Banana Souffle – Sugarlaws
Asparagus Souffle – Simply Recipes
Orange Souffle – Dhangitt’s Kitchen

• Joe May 25, 2009, 2:12 pm

Since I’m now studying at home, I had the privilege of just having the savory ones for lunch that Allen just took out of the oven and will be posting later this week :) It was deeelicious!

• Joy May 25, 2009, 3:10 pm

“Within minutes, they flattened into the saddest looking things I’ve ever seen.” — aww, you poor thing! I’m sorry, I know it’s bad, but I laughed when I read that. O:-)

Just keep trying and good luck on your next souffle. I rarely make them and I get very anal about it. And aside from butter, we sprinkle it with cocoa on the sides, too. Not sure if it helps, but ours stood up quite well.

• Eagranie May 25, 2009, 3:12 pm

Oh, poor souffles. I want to give them a hug.

For sweet souffles, I butter and sugar the inside of the ramekins. The sugar gives the batter something to cling to as it rises, minimizing the chances of it falling.

I also fill my ramekins right to the top and level them off there. If the top is completely flat, they rise more evenly (see the cover of The Art & Soul of Baking) and are less likely to collapse.

And finally, be very gentle when folding in the egg whites. Like, almost too gentle. Gingerly gentle.

• Hélène May 25, 2009, 7:25 pm

Lucky Joe to taste all of these soufflés. I went back reading the instructions in Julia Child book and there is couple pages to read before you can master the art of soufflés. I’m not sure I’m ready yet but it will come. Good luck on your savory soufflés.

• Manggy May 25, 2009, 9:17 pm

Eagranie pretty much said it all. I hope you keep trying (though from the sound of it, the savory one turned out quite well). Chocolate souffles are my fave because they hide the eggy taste very well :)
    I think the cheating thing is publicity, but frankly I wouldn’t blame Jon if he did cheat! That woman is unbearable.

• Peter G May 26, 2009, 2:16 am

Hey Allen…keep at it! They are not the easiest thing in the world…I think the last time I attempted a souffle was back in High School. Good luck on your next attempt!

• Erin May 26, 2009, 2:58 am

Oops! Looks like you need a “disasters” category (like me) in wordpress too. I do admire your perseverance though. Make that marriage work John and Kate…if only for all the free schwag. Hopefully your success isn’t in anyway tied to this relationship miracle occurring though.

• Nicole May 26, 2009, 12:15 pm

Souffle cookies (I think you’re on to something there)!

• helen May 26, 2009, 1:47 pm

Allen, the word on the street is that you made some majestic cheese souffles. Like marriages, the second attempt is usually more successful than the first…

• lululu May 31, 2009, 12:45 pm

agree! marriage is easily collapsed, but if it sustains, it’s unbelievably perfect. just like souffle. yours looks delicious!

• _ts of [eatingclub] vancouver June 5, 2009, 6:33 pm

Is it bad that the mention if Jon and Kate is what prompted me to comment on this post? ;D

I actually followed their show until the end of last season. Then, when the news of turmoil surfaced a few weeks ago, I didn’t pay much heed. (Not really up-to-date on “celebrity gossip” and such.) But, I just saw the magazine section at London Drugs today and OH MY — they’re like on the cover of all those magazines! It’s kinda funny, the headlines: JON’S PRISON… or “MOMMY, YOU’RE MEAN!”, or “KATE’S EX-FIANCE TALKS!”