Raspberry Souffle Recipe

I’ve been on a souffle expedition this past week and conclude with a simple raspberry souffle. Don’t raise an eyebrow and scoff at the short ingredients list or inquire why I didn’t include any liqueur, it really would have overcomplicated the pure, bright raspberry flavor. Trust me.

While the chocolate souffle required a double boiler for melting chocolate and the cheese souffle needed a bechamel sauce, this souffle is the easiest of the three to make. A fruit puree mixed with beaten egg whites and baked. Whether you bake it as the final course of a romantic dinner, or better still – a friendly bribe, no one will be able to resist your requests after taking a bite from this light-as-air dessert.

But, how did it turn out? Flat or phat?

Well, it didn’t fall flat! Instead, it was the highest rising souffle so far. The photo below does not do it justice as it was taken several minutes after removal from the oven. The souffle is a vibrant pink with the full, fresh raspberry flavor. I sprinkled with a few juicy pomegranate seeds which provide a tart contrast to the sweet souffle.

Raspberry Souffle with Pomagranate Seeds

Raspberry Souffle
inspired by The Art and Soul of Baking

1 teaspoon butter (for greasing ramekins)
6 oz fresh raspberries
1/4 cup, plus 2 teaspoons sugar
4 egg whites

1. Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
  2. Butter the insides of six 1/2 cup ramekins
  3. Puree raspberries in a blender or food processor, then strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds. I considered leaving the seeds in until I realized just how prolific they are — you really need to strain the puree. You should yield about 1/2 cup after straining.
  4. Add 2 teaspoons sugar to the strained puree and set aside
  5. In a mixer, beat four egg whites until they begin to thicken. Continue to beat the whites while you slowly add 1/4 cup sugar. Mix until egg whites form stiff peaks and are glossy.
  6. Add 1/3 of the egg whites to the puree and slowly fold in. Continue by adding the remaining egg whites, folding in until no white streaks remain.
  7. Spoon the souffle batter into the ramekins, filling to the top and leveling off with the back of a spatula.
  8. Place filled ramekins on a baking sheet and bake on a rack positioned in the bottom 1/3 of the oven.
  9. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the souffle rises 1/2″ above the rim.
  10. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of powdered sugar!

Raspberry Souffle - Eaten!

From beginning to end, the souffle took about 30 minutes to make. Although I haven’t tried it, I suspect you could substitute frozen raspberries which have been thawed. Such a quick dessert, I will keep this recipe on hand for when surprise guests stop by.

Until this past week, I had never made a single souffle. To be honest, I’m not sure if I have ever eaten a souffle prior to this. My curiousity for the dish occurred by reading through an old box of recipe cards, many of which were for souffles. I made them with the intent of trying to recreate a piece of the past but instead found something that will now be a part of my future.

I’m already thinking of all the wonderful ways I can make both savory and sweet versions … spinach and feta, blueberry-lemon, leek and onion, pine nut pesto, sweet potato, blackberry, spiced pumpkin, sweet corn and red pepper, and cinnamon fig. I don’t know where to begin!

• Manggy June 1, 2009, 12:57 am

Phat, definitely! I love raspberries! :) Looks like you took all the tips to heart, very good!
    And now, who in the world were you bribing to do what? Hee hee.

• Memoria June 1, 2009, 1:52 am

How lovely!! These are beautiful! Good job :).

• Amrita June 1, 2009, 2:08 am

Phat, yeah! Just the right rise the souffle has…..and the pink is making me want to dig into one!

• kat June 1, 2009, 7:18 am

I’m in love with all the incredible pinkness of it!

• Michelle June 1, 2009, 7:21 am

Wow.
    Absolutely gorgeous. Great job.

• Cenk June 1, 2009, 7:58 am

They look perfect! Such a nice shade of pink… Great job.

• Sylvie June 1, 2009, 10:26 am

They look so pretty!

• Allen June 1, 2009, 11:11 am

Manggy: I will never reveal my secrets!

Memoria: Thank you!

Amrita: I wish my photos showing the higher rise would have turned out — they were so pristine when they first came out of the oven.

Kat: The pink color is amazing

Michelle: Thanks!

Cenk: Thank you!

Sylvie: Thank you!

• Rossa di sera June 1, 2009, 11:51 am

Complimenti, è bellissimo!

• John June 1, 2009, 12:19 pm

Awesome
    This looks so goods.

• Nicole June 1, 2009, 12:57 pm

Absolutely beautiful!

• Sara @ Our Best Bites June 1, 2009, 12:58 pm

Those are too cute for words!

• Marta June 1, 2009, 1:14 pm

Souffles are such a wonderful world to discovere adn experiment in! Try roasted butternut squash with goat cheese, that’s my favourite ;)
    This looks lovely, great photos!

• Tartelette June 1, 2009, 1:23 pm

Gorgeous Sean! They look plenty high to me but since you said they rose even more…well, wow!

• Eagranie June 1, 2009, 1:24 pm

These look lovely! I’m glad you’re getting better souffle results these days. My question: who gets to eat all these tasty things? :P

• Lori @ RecipeGirl June 1, 2009, 1:32 pm

Whoa! These are YOURS?? I glanced at them on TS or FG and was thinking that they were rather cute, and then I happen to see them on YOUR blog :) Nice job. Where did you happen to get this fabulous cookbook? I must make something from it soon as well.

• Lisa June 1, 2009, 1:47 pm

I have never made a souffle before, but you are certainly inspiring me with all these beautiful creations. Perfect use for those ramekins gathering dust in the cupboard.

• helen June 1, 2009, 2:54 pm

I have to say, Allen, I’m really loving all the new colours and the lovely format.

That is one easy to follow recipe, and seemingly healthy too! As you know, I’m in need of low-fat dessert ideas…

• Erin June 1, 2009, 3:48 pm

I like the new “writing” on photos thing you’ve got going on here Allen. Also, these are so pink and girlie. Obviously I love them! Are you channeling me a little bit ;)

• food librarian June 1, 2009, 7:31 pm

Allen, the new layout is awesome! And these souffles?! Oh dear…so wonderful. And I vote for cinnamon fig for the next one! :)

• kickpleat June 1, 2009, 7:33 pm

Wow, those look amazing! I love the colour and I’m sure they taste amazingly light and delicious. I guess it’s off to the store for ramekins!

• Allen June 1, 2009, 7:58 pm

Rossa di sera: Thank you!

John: Thank you!

Nicole: Thank you!

Sara: Thank you!

Marta: Ooooh, the butternut goat cheese souffle sounds divine :-)

Tartelette: :-) who’s Sean? Thank you!

Eagranie: Unfortunately (?), I end up eating most of them …

Lori: Ha! Yes, the cookbook was one of the goodie bag items from IFBC. Funnily enough, I had it setting on the coffee table and hadn’t cracked it open. It wasn’t until I decided to make a raspberry souffle that I noticed the cover of the book is for a blackberry souffle!

Lisa: I must admit that making use of my ramekins was one reason I wanted to make souffles. I feel bad that I don’t use the ramekins enough and figured this would give them a good workout.

Helen: Thanks! Yes, this is fairly figure friendly … just the sugar, but you could likely cut back on some of it and make it a bit more tart.

Erin: Thanks for noticing my ‘writing’ :-) I’ve been playing on Picnik and think I’ll keep doing it … it amuses me. Of course I’m channeling you … it’s because I feel guilty for not sending out your goodie box yet. Will do it this week — promise!

Food Librarian: Thank you for the feedback! I’ll mark down your vote for cinnamon fig … it does sound good :-)

Kickpleat: Thank you! Definitely track down some ramekins and start trying souffles — I bet you’d come up with some fun souffle ideas.

• tigress June 2, 2009, 6:54 am

these look incredible! my in-laws are coming next week and i think i may have to try this! with strawberries!

i too agree that the new format on site looks great, and i love the writing on the photos!

• anna June 2, 2009, 8:42 am

That’s gorgeous! I love the pink color. I haven’t tried making souffle before but I’ll have to keep this in mind for when I have some extra berries.

• Fumi June 2, 2009, 9:32 am

Been busy, haven’t checked out the blog in couple weeks. Looks like you have a new look and I love it! Was the blog always on wordpress? The Soufflé photos looks bit too tasty for 8:30AM :)

Girl friend flew me out to Vegas for my birthday couple months ago. We had mind blowing Raspberry Soufflé from Alizé at the top of The Palms. Gonna have to try this recipe to re-live the wonderful weekend.

• Allen June 2, 2009, 10:14 am

Tigress: I considered using strawberries but couldn’t find any that looked nice. Let me know how it turns out!

Anna: A great use for extra berries – I want to try with blackberries next.

Fumi: Thanks! Yep, I’ve been on Wordpress for about a year now. I had a custom designed theme and just switched over to Thesis. While I’m not sure how this humble souffle will compare to Alize, it’s worth a shot :-)

• Kevin June 2, 2009, 6:23 pm

What an amazing shade of red. You got a really nice rise from them!

• Olga June 2, 2009, 9:03 pm

I’ve never made a souffle, but I surely like eating them! Yours looks lovely!

• Yujai June 3, 2009, 8:03 pm

The pink looks awesome! Make me want some nowwww…..you are evil XD

• FoodieInDisguise June 8, 2009, 3:50 am

Allen! Those turned out GREAT!! I can’t wait to try them out for myself. I have had a copy of The Art and Soul of Baking on my desk for a few weeks now and now that I’m in my new place, it’s time to do some baking! I hope mine turn out as good as yours. Last time I made a souffle was back in culinary school! Wish me luck! The suggestion to add pomegranate seeds to it is genius!

• Culinary Cory June 13, 2009, 6:45 am

These look amazing. The texture of the souffle looks so tender. I really like the idea of using raspberries. A great combo of sweet and tart I’m sure.

• TasteStopping June 21, 2009, 3:05 pm

I have just returned from my garden with a small container full of juicy raspberries and had no idea what to do with them. How lucky I am to find this recipe! It will be the perfect way to celebrate Father’s Day. (Or any day, with its simple ingredient list and sure-fire return on time invested.) Thanks.

Best,