Cornmeal Griddle Cakes, Pancakes Recipe

Breakfast is my favorite meal so it’s ironic that I sometimes skip it if I’m having a hectic morning. I know, I know … it’s the most important meal of the day and shouldn’t be overlooked, but occasionally it happens.

During the week, breakfast is quick and simple, usually a bowl of cereal and lots of coffee. For a little excitement, I may have toast with jam or oatmeal with golden syrup. On weekends, we branch out into french toast, eggs or sometimes pancakes. Pancakes are a ‘sometimes’ food mostly because I don’t like the actual process of frying them. I find that the first batch turn out too light, the second batch is just perfect, and all subsequent batches are borderline burnt.

Lately, I’ve had pancake cravings and decided to cave in. My mother made buttermilk pancakes often and they always turned out perfectly. Somehow, her pancake gene did not get passed on to me. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it’s not my thing and I’m destined to make sub-par pancakes. It’s ok.

Well … if Tyler Florence shows up on my doorstep asking to do a Food 911 episode on pancakes, I’d throw on my pajamas in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I’ll remain a pancake underachiever.

I used an old recipe found written on a piece of bank stationary which had intrigued me ever since I discovered it. The pancake recipe stood out to me for its use of cornmeal. I figured the cornmeal might add flavor and texture which could boost ordinary buttermilk pancakes to a whole new level.

Buttermilk Cornmeal Pancakes, Griddle Cakes

Pancakes
recipe from Silva’s Pancakes at RecoveredRecipes.com

The batter seemed too thick as written so I increased the buttermilk to nearly 1 1/2 cups. While frying on the first side, I sprinkled a few pancakes with fresh blueberries although you can’t really see them in these photos.

Buttermilk Cornmeal Pancakes, Griddle Cakes

The pancakes turned out delicious, light and fluffy with crisp edges. The cornmeal did bring a new flavor and texture to otherwise standard buttermilk pancakes. And, as expected, I burned a few. But, I did manage to fulfill my craving and can make it for another month or two until the next urge strikes me.

Do you have any tips or tricks for making pancakes? If so, share your suggestions in the comments below.

• Peter G July 2, 2009, 4:30 pm

Allen, I’m inclined to agree with you about the whole pancake making process, especially the frying part! But I think you did well here…the addition of cornmeal certainly gives these a nice boost.

• Deborah July 2, 2009, 9:09 pm

I actually just posted about cornmeal pancakes not too long ago – it was my first time making them and I loved them. The cornmeal really adds something special.

• Eralda July 2, 2009, 11:51 pm

I love the texture cornmeal lends to baked goods, but I never thought about adding it to pancakes. They look amazing. I am so excited to try this.

• Manggy July 3, 2009, 4:12 am

The only tip I have is to never overmix– keep it at lumpy. Deep brown, pale, golden– I’m an equal opportunity, uh, pancake enjoyer :) And your stack, my friend, looks absolutely perfect.

Oh, Allen… Tyler Florence… Pajamas… The jokes just write themselves :D

• Sonya July 3, 2009, 6:09 am

Oh wow I just love the story behind these! I’m going to make these tomorrow morning!

• kat July 3, 2009, 9:12 am

My tip for making perfect pancakes is to have my husband make them, he seems to have the knack that I lack!

• tigress July 3, 2009, 10:00 am

hi allen,

this may seem like a given. but the trick to making pancakes, or really any kind of griddle bread, is to watch the heat on the pan or griddle. you should be able to hold your hand about an inch away from bottom of pan and count to 3 seconds before you need to pull it away because it is too hot. and most importantly, keep this amount of heat going throughout your pancake making. the heat will need to be readjusted a few times to meet that requirement.

make sense?

• Tobias Cooks! July 3, 2009, 4:09 pm

your photos make me want to have breakfast…and here it is past midnight. but maybe it is never too late :-)

• Culinary Cory July 3, 2009, 10:31 pm

I’ve totally been craving pancakes lately myself. I tested a chocolate pancake recipe for the second time. It was amazing. Like eating cake for breakfast!

• Sonya July 4, 2009, 1:31 am

I made them this morning and I must say,yours came out prettier than mine did. However they were fantastic tasteing! A real treat from the same old pancake taste. The kids still liked the original but my husband and I loved this version better. Thanks so much!

• Kevin July 5, 2009, 9:15 am

It is always good to wake up to warm freshly made pancakes.

• Diane July 14, 2009, 7:07 am

:-) I am surprised you don’t like the frying part :-) Me, who never cooks, likes making pancakes. I love the way the batter spreads out in a perfect circle, then when the bubbles start breaking through, there is the excitement of watching the emerging pattern of the bubbles and the anticipation of flipping. It’s art in a pan :-)

• Teresa August 17, 2009, 6:16 pm

I never could make decent pancakes until I used the griddle on my 1954 electric stovetop. Two tips: 1. the oil must be hot, 425-450. You really don’t need a lot of oil either. I use a brush and spread about 3 tblsps. of oil over the entire griddle. If you don’t have a griddle with calibrated temperatures, use the tip Tigress gave in her comment. Tip 2: Do not turn those pancakes until there are ‘bubble craters’ evenly spaced over the entire pancake. RESIST PEEKING! The second side cooks faster than the first. If I had a third tip it would be to start with pancakes that are small in size; like 5 inches in diameter and then work up to the lumberjack size.