Grape & Walnut Focaccia Recipe

Peter Reinhart is the man behind the book, The Bread Baker’s Apprentice. He does not know me and I’ve never met him, so why did I constantly think about him while on vacation last month?

Well, I’ve been eager to try his focaccia recipe and I couldn’t remember if I’d be back in time to participate in The Bread Baker’s Apprentice Challenge. Granted, I could make the bread whenever I want, but it’s more fun to bake with friends. Fortunately, I checked the schedule as soon as I returned and was relieved to find my timing perfect.

When I first moved to Vancouver I wrote about the Granville Island public market and a delicious grape focaccia from a bakery there. I’ve been determined to recreate the sweet bread ever since eating it. It’s really *that* good.

A slice of grape focaccia from Terra Breads, as found on Granville Island public market. It’s the bread that started my craving:

granville_grape-540x417

My version:

Grape & Walnut Focaccia Bread

Peter’s recipe is easy to follow, although it takes several hours to make (and overnight refrigeration). It’s easy though because most of that time is spent rising or resting, so not much work for the actual bread baker ;-)

I won’t be publishing Peter’s recipe but instead will give a breakdown of the steps, noting the additions I made. You can recreate this grape and walnut version with your favorite focaccia recipe.

Focaccia Making Process
I mixed the dough in my Kitchenaid mixer and allowed it to knead (using the dough hook) for 5-7 minutes. During the final 2 minutes, I added 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts and allowed the mixer to knead them into the dough.

The dough is then placed onto a floured counter and allowed to rest for 5 minutes. The dough is next stretched and folded into a rectangle, then allowed to rest for 30 minutes. The stretching and folding is repeated several times in 30 minute intervals.

The final step is to place the dough on a well greased baking sheet. Using your fingers the dough is pushed down to fill the sheet, then placed in the refrigerator for 1-3 days. The time allows the dough to develop and improves the texture. I let mine set for 24 hours.

Remove the dough from the fridge – using your fingertips once again, create dimples in the dough and push to the dough fill the baking sheet (12×18″). The dough should be about 1/2″ thick. I sprinkled with 1 1/2 cups red seedless grapes. I also sprinkled with 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 3 hours or until the dough has raised to a height of 1″. Before baking, sprinkle the top with 1/3 cup granulated sugar.

Place in a 500F (250C) preheated oven, then turn down the temperature to 450F (225C) and bake 10 minutes. Rotate pan 180 degrees, then bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until golden and center of dough tests done at 200F (100C).

Rising – add the grapes and chopped walnuts:

Focaccia Bread Rising

Fresh from the oven – look at how the dough rises up to surround the grapes:

grape-focaccia_top

Look at the beautiful edge of the focaccia:

grape-focaccia_side

Side view of the soft & chewy bread – look at that juicy grape:

grape-focaccia_side2

The result is fricken’ delicious. The focaccia is thicker and softer than I expected. It tastes incredible on its own but I love the addition of grapes and walnuts. The grapes will explode and release a little juice which mixes with the sugar to form syrup and the walnuts are toasted to perfection. As the bread cools, the sugar forms a sweet glaze over the bread.

For an extra bit of wow, dust with powdered sugar before serving.

The focaccia was a success and satisfied my craving. The version from Terra Breads is thinner and more dense than mine, and as I remember it’s also multi-grain. I’m so pleased with my version though and find it hard to avoid eating. Fortunately, it made such a huge amount that I’ll be nibbling on it all week.

grape-focaccia_bottom

Focaccia Ideas
Concord Grape Focaccia – The Fresh Loaf
Rosemary & Grape Focaccia – King Arthur Flour
Herb Focaccia – Something Shiny
Blue Cheese, Pepper, Steak & Mushroom Focaccia – Joelen’s Culinary Adventures
Cherry Tomato & Herb – Nico’s Blog
Raisin Focaccia – Eating is the Hard Part

• Kat August 17, 2009, 11:50 am

This looks awesome! I will have to check out The Bread Baker’s Apprentice. I recently started making homemade bread and am hooked!

• Regina August 17, 2009, 2:44 pm

I think your version looks much tastier than Terra’s!

• Carolyn Jung August 17, 2009, 2:50 pm

Oh my gawd, the powdered sugar addition is genius! I’m definitely going to have to try making this. It’s been way too long since I had the original at Terra Breads.

• Mia August 17, 2009, 3:49 pm

I agree – yours looks much tastier than the bakery version! I might just have to put this on my to-bake list :)

• Jen @ MaplenCornbread August 17, 2009, 3:49 pm

This is perfect! It looks and sounds so good, I love the grapes!

• Peter G August 17, 2009, 6:55 pm

Absolutely gorgeous Allen…I don’t think I’ve tried focaccia with grapes andd walnuts. Now I’m in the mood to bake some!

• nina August 18, 2009, 1:12 am

In my opinion this would make a wonderful late Saturday breakfast……..of course with a hot cuppa java to accompany!!! Wonderful!!

• Fearless Kitchen August 18, 2009, 7:28 am

This looks delicious – a wonderful fall treat.

• kat August 18, 2009, 7:52 am

I totally think yours looks better than the one from the market

• Kelly August 18, 2009, 9:35 am

I agree with the others. Yours looks much better. I love your take on this bread and will definitely give it a shot. I’m thinking when my mother-in-law’s grapes come on, I’ll be all over this!

• Jennifer August 18, 2009, 12:45 pm

I’ve tasted savory focaccia and have a weakness for it. I’m now enchanted by its sweeter counterpart with all of these grapey jewels.

• lisa (dandysugar) August 18, 2009, 3:06 pm

Fantastic looking foccacia! The grape and walnut combination sounds delicious.

• Aysegul - nysdelight August 19, 2009, 10:07 am

i see it and i want to taste it. looks delicious!

• Louise August 20, 2009, 12:27 pm

Oh my heaven! I really need to learn how to bake. YOUR Focaccia looks amazing! Honestly, I think I can smell it from here!

• kellypea August 23, 2009, 10:12 am

Mmm — can’t wait to try this one. The last grape foccacia I made was last summer and from a Chiarello recipe, I think. Yours turned out beautifully!

• Michelle August 24, 2009, 10:46 am

I love focaccia with red grapes but I never thought to add walnuts….yummy!

Gorgeous photography!

• Kate August 25, 2009, 4:34 pm

I used to get amazing grape focaccia at Sullivan Street Bakery in NYC. Now I’m craving it again.

• Hélène August 29, 2009, 11:37 pm

I wonder if I make my focaccia with blueberries & white chocolate if I can come to their blueberry white chocolate bread. I may give it a try after seeing your results. It’s amazing what you made. I love it.

• Valentine September 17, 2009, 1:17 pm

Looks like you put salt or something on top of the focaccia at some point before baking – did you? Sounds weird, grapes and salt and sugar, but hell, most weird sounding gourmet things are delicious, and what do we like about junk food? salt and sugar.

• Allen September 17, 2009, 6:30 pm

Nope, didn’t top it with salt — what you see is a sprinkling of granulated sugar. During baking the sugar melts a bit and mixes with the juice from the grapes to create sticky pockets of flavor.