Baked Pork Chop Goulash

I’m not sure if it’s the cool weather or approaching holidays, but I find myself making hearty meals from my childhood. Goulash was a staple in the Williams household, sometimes cooked on the stove top but best when baked in the oven.

My mother’s recipe is not an authentic Hungarian goulash, so if that’s what you’re hoping for, you’ll be disappointed. My mother’s goulash is a bastardized version full of Midwestern touches like ground beef and elbow macaroni.

Since I didn’t have all the necessary ingredients, my version is even further removed from the goulash family tree. But, it tasted good and was exactly what I needed.

The weather is finally turning cold and rainy here in the northwest. The leaves are turning beautiful paprika-like colors and there is a constant chill in the air. This will be my first winter in Vancouver and I’m excited by the visible change in seasons (you don’t get this in California).

Fall Leaves Turning Color

As with the change in seasons, I find myself changing how and what I cook. I’m now drawn to baking casseroles and stews more than ever.

I started preparing for dinner the other night by contemplating what to do with two pork chops. After a long walk in the park, I came home craving goulash. Sadly, I knew we were without the necessary ground beef and green peppers which made my mother’s recipe so good.

The pork chops had to be used and I figured I could bend them to my will and force them into my goulash. I improvised on most ingredients, even the paprika, so my recipe is quite different from my mother’s. It turned out delicious so it’s good to know I can whip it up again with ingredients I have on hand.

Baked Goulash with Pork Chops Recipe

Baked Pork Chop Goulash Recipe

2 pork chops
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup chives, chopped (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 Tablespoons smoked paprika*
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 19-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon hot sauce (I used sriracha)
3/4 cup water
8-ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
Salt to taste

1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add olive oil and turn skillet to coat.
  2. Place pork chops in skillet to brown for 1-2 minutes on each side. Season with salt as you flip the pork chops. Remove pork chops onto a plate and set aside.
  3. To the skillet, add the onion and saute until softened – 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add chives, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, brown sugar, tomatoes (with juice), hot sauce and water. Stir and bring to a boil.
  5. Remove skillet from heat. Fold in the macaroni and top with the reserved pork chops.
  6. Place skillet into a 350F oven and bake for 50 minutes or until pasta and pork are done. During the final 10 minutes, check to see if any additional water is needed. If so, drizzle 1/4 cup over the top and continue baking until done.

*Cooking Notes:
I didn’t have any smoked paprika so I substituted this also. In my spice drawer, I had a barbecue dry rub that was primarily composed of smoked paprika and brown sugar. I used 2 1/2 tablespoons of this mix in place of the paprika and brown sugar listed in the recipe.

Skillet Dinner for Two

The baked goulash turned out slightly spicy, a little sweet, and smoky from the paprika. The macaroni absorbs all of the liquid while it bakes, so in the end it’s not soupy at all. And, it makes the perfect dinner for two.

• Peter G October 20, 2009, 12:59 pm

Delicious Allen! A real “winter warmer”…love the cast iron pan too!

• RowanGolightly October 20, 2009, 2:28 pm

Yummy and very timely! I had just gotten out a couple of pork chops this morning and was deliberating on what to do with them. Grilling seemed so boring, even if I am in 70 degree, gorgeous Oklahoma where grilling outside is still very much an option, with picking up pecans while waiting for the grill to heat.

Thanks, I’ll try this on my hubby tonight!

• Mark Boxshus October 20, 2009, 2:31 pm

I love goulash type dishes. My mother’s “American Chop Suey” is one of my favorites, although I’ve changed it quite a bit using fresh ingredients. Substituting ingredients can often times lead to the creation of a whole new dish. I love doing that.

Nice job, and great photos

Mark

• Charles G Thompson October 20, 2009, 4:59 pm

I love the elbow macaroni in this. Reminds me of my childhood. As do the pork chops. Looks like a great dish.

• amanda October 20, 2009, 6:47 pm

YUM! This looks like total comfort food. I love the lead picture!

• nina October 20, 2009, 9:17 pm

Adapt or die……and you were not prepared for the first option. You did well with your version and I actually prefer my chop whole…I like eating off the bone!!!

• Allen October 20, 2009, 10:27 pm

Thanks, everyone!

I love the ‘adapt or die’ comment, Nina ;-) I agree about eating chops off the bone — that’s exactly what I did.

• kat October 21, 2009, 7:56 am

A great dish for two & probably easily adaptable to whatever we have in the fridge as well.

• food librarian October 21, 2009, 4:23 pm

Allen, this looks fantastic! And you are right…never see those beautiful trees in Los Angeles! Lucky you!

• Rocquie October 22, 2009, 8:46 am

Oh, I love this idea. I have made the type of goulash you talk about with the ground beef, at least a million times. I’ve never thought about using pork chops. My husband will smile when I present this! Thanks for another great great post, Allen.

• Culinary Cory October 24, 2009, 9:43 am

Wow! This is quite the hearty one pot meal. Looks great.

• Manggy October 26, 2009, 12:36 am

I’ve only ever had goulash once- when I was in the Czech Republic, no less- and it was pretty good, but you have gotten me craving hard for these, screw authenticity! I bet Joe enjoyed them a lot!

• Tracy October 27, 2009, 1:43 pm

We grew up with goulash as well, but it certainly wasn’t as appealing. I love the baked pork chop and the fact that it was baked, not stove top like I was use to… I might have to revive the goulash and try your twist.

• cakebrain November 7, 2009, 12:51 am

I never have had authentic goulash, but it seems as if I’m familiar with all those ingredients! I haven’t met a pork chop I didn’t like. Looks yummy!

• Kristen November 11, 2009, 2:10 pm

gosh, my grandma also made goulash like this. I am sure I would have loved it more with the chops though. My European man would be horrified if I made this and called it goulash. I will just change the name ;-)

• Hannah November 27, 2009, 1:34 am

I made this last night and it turned out great! By the way, I am from Vancouver and I apologize for all the rain.

• Melly January 7, 2010, 1:10 pm

Being of Romanian descent, I am cooking this one! It looks so very delicious. I am happy I stopped by. Headed to the store now!