RIP: My Beloved Silpat

I knew my new year was off to a rocky start when I discovered my silpat baking mat had started to crumble around the edges, exposing its precious fiberglass filling.

However, it the 7 years in which I owned it, the non-stick mat served me well. He happily baked hundreds of cookies, many dozens of appetizers, and even some 20 or so loaves of bread.

I personally gave him gentle sponge baths to help maintain his sleek appearance. It just wasn’t enough.

Are there any other bakers out there who find it hard to live without a silpat? I occasionally use parchment paper which also works well. Silpats offer a greener solution since they aren’t disposable and require little in the way of care.

Silpat Care

• Wipe with a soft, damp sponge using a mild detergent only when absolutely necessary
  • Blot with a towel and allow to air dry before storing.

It doesn’t get much easier than that. When I used the baking mat last time, I noticed the edges were beginning to break down and disintegrate. As you can also see in this photo, my mat had become quite discolored with heavy use over the years:

Silpat Baking Mat Care

Since the manufacturer warns against using a damaged silpat, I am throwing mine away. On the positive side, it allows me to go shopping ;-) I even discovered they now have a RoulPat which is designed for rolling pastry dough on the counter.

My baking mat shopping list:

Has anyone else had issues with their silpat or experienced the loss of a beloved kitchen tool/device?

• Manggy January 22, 2010, 5:37 pm

Oh, he was so young :( (Okay, not that young, but I thought he’d live forever.) I don’t have a Silpat (!), since I couldn’t justify the high cost, as I didn’t bake with the sheet pan *that* often — it balanced out its use with the cake pans, tart pans, and muffin pans. But I would still want one, since lining sheet pans with parchment uses up the most paper.
    Haven’t lost any really valuable baking tools. My ice cream scoop came apart at the seams recently, but it wasn’t particularly expensive either :)

• Jeffinprov January 22, 2010, 8:43 pm

This may seem ridiculous, but there was a standard-issue utentil, a combo kitchen-spoon/spatula, that was metal with a hard plastic handle and a flexible plastic bowl — sort of shallow — with a flat edge at the “business end.” They were utterly ubiquitous in every dime/discount/grocery store. They were my constant companion when I was learning to cook. And then they disappeared, just about the time that the one I relied upon fell apart. There is now an inferior version that is somewhat similar, but NOT the same, so I had no choice but to being a sad crusade, scouring every out-of-the-way crummy store that had out-of-date sock in kitchenwares, but to little avail. Now, I cut a sinister figure, slouching dull-eyed through the aisles at Goodwill, ruthlessly shoving aside other hapless salvaging soldiers at the Salvation Army. I see one, I buy it. I am hoarding them. I am the go-to guy if you need a Vintage Plastic Spatula Spoon. I am cornering the market and establishing the base value. One day people will be banging down my door, and I will become rich. I beseech you, Allen: Gather Thine Silpats While Ye May. One cannot have too many.

• nina January 23, 2010, 3:52 am

It is always a pleasure to know you “have to” shop for something. We do not want this site to suffer because you do not have a silpat, do we??

• kat January 23, 2010, 9:43 am

I can’t imagine not having one, I actually have three!

• katie January 23, 2010, 2:36 pm

I love my silpat too! And I have the roulpat and I can’t image working with dough on any other surface! I love it!

• _ts of [eatingclub] vancouver January 24, 2010, 4:01 pm

Condolences. ;)

Hmm, that RoulPat sounds like a good idea!

• Erin January 25, 2010, 9:06 am

Awe…poor Silpat! Hopefully he finds peace in the great kitchen in the sky ;)

• Mark Scarbrough January 25, 2010, 7:52 pm

OK, this is hilarious. Bruce just made meringues this afternoon–and the silpat, a long-time piece of the kitchen, failed. It ripped. No joke. And the meringues leaked under the sheet because the heat was uneven. So I just threw away a silpat and all the meringue cookies on it. I had to pause over the trash can. Was I sure it couldn’t be saved? Was I?

• Tuty January 26, 2010, 1:29 am

Hmmm interesting. I use my old silpat (not worthy for baking) for kneading bread dough since I don’t have a marble/granite countertop. So far, so good. This old silpat is over 10 years old. I can’t part with it yet…

• Lise January 27, 2010, 10:47 pm

I’m sorry for your loss :( My first Silpat (out of a collection of four, hey – I like to bake!) is going on his/her 10th year and is discoloured beyond recognition. I only use it for non-baking purposes, but I’m having such a hard time letting it go. *sigh*

• justJENN January 31, 2010, 5:00 pm

When mine died I freaked out and bought two for every pan. Now I have 8!

• Fran February 6, 2010, 9:44 am

Wait! you didn’t toss it yet did you? Couldn’t you use it a trivet when cooking? Since it withstands oven heat it would be a great counter protector and you don’t have to part with it …yet.

• Alissa February 22, 2010, 4:22 am

Please accept my deepest sympathy – i hope you will find a suitable garbage space to give him his final goodbye…. so young.. so many fond memories you must have.
    Let the new silpat be us cherieshed as your dear friend was..
    :-) This post is sooo funny and so true..
    Alissa

• Bobbi February 22, 2010, 3:54 pm

I also recently replaced one that a friend accidentally cut through with a pizza cutter (my fault I suppose for baking the foccacia bread on it). I continued to use it for a couple of years even though it was torn, I just didn’t put things directly over the cuts. I nearly cried when it became to bedraggled to use. I have two – one for each sheet pan and cannot consider baking with out them. The new one made the old one look so discolored and worn, but I’m quite proud of that – it shows I love to use it. Give the person that invented these a big round of applause!

• cakebrain February 26, 2010, 10:01 pm

My deepest sympathies, may he R.I.P.
    My Silpat is discoloured but intact. I always find it a pain to clean because I can never get every bit of stain off and it bugs me. I have discovered the joys of Costco-sized rolls of parchment paper. I now use parchment and have not touched my Silpat since. I know it’s not environmentally conscious, but the Silpat doesn’t look biodegradable either. So, oh well. I have also been finding that my silicone bakeware isn’t as effective for baking purposes and also stains from my cake batters. I know it sounds almost impossible, but I “lost” a Henkels chef’s knife (I swear, I can’t find it!) and so I recently bought a new Shun knife from Williams Sonoma.
    How’s the noise downtown? GoCanadaGo!

• Jessica March 1, 2010, 1:54 am

Oooh, I LOVE my silpats! I have a few of them. Keep your eye out for bed, bath, and beyond 20% off coupons as they sell them there and you can use the coupon on one! If you don’t already get them in the mail, you can join their email list and they will start sending some to you

• Kim March 8, 2010, 9:16 pm

Dude I had to replace my slipmats in Dec. I have no idea of how you got 7 years out of yours but I replace mine every 4 years and (I hope you are sitting down for this) but I buy 6 at a time. I buy mine at a resturant supply place and yes, they do give a discount when you buy that many. During the holidays I don’t give gifts but cookies and bake around 120 – 180 doz. so my slipmats get a good working over.
    You do know if they stain they are OK to bake on. The only issue is when they start to fray.
    I just could not live without my slipmats

• Kelly Yandell March 16, 2010, 8:27 am

I’m so glad to see this post. I am at the computer today researching “dead old silpat problems” on google. I am in mourning as I think my 10 year old sheet is somehow now causing my cookies to fail. It is the only variable I can pin-point that has potentially changed. (couldn’t be me doing something wrong). I’m happy to see that others have formed an emotional bond with their baking gear.

• Jen March 20, 2010, 10:27 am

Hey, I don’t have a Silpat! I guess I’m just one of the painfully ignorant and don’t know what I’m missing out on. Maybe it’s like silicone spatulas – once I discovered the wonder of those, I had only disdain for the old rubber whites and they could never win back my favor.

I bake all the time and usually just spray my pans with cooking spray. Do I need a Slipat? Give it to me straight.

• Gail Wolf March 24, 2010, 3:42 pm

Hi Allen.
    I just discovered your blog today and love it!

Alas, I’m new to Silpats…I have two small and one medium for baking. I appreciate knowing that they may wear out some day, so I’ll take care to follow your cleaning instructions.

I’ve had a Rolpat for about 5 years….it was worth every penny!!

Thanks again for your blog. i found you by looking for popsicle recipes!!