Coronation Grape Jelly Recipe

I didn’t intend to make grape jelly yesterday but after seeing these beautifully plump Coronation grapes at the market, I couldn’t resist. The grapes were grown locally and were also on sale so I just couldn’t say no.

It’s only in the past few years that I’ve started to make my own jams and preserves. Most recently I made blueberry jam which I still haven’t gotten around to posting (and I’m already on my last jar!) I like knowing what’s in my food and I can control the ingredients when making my own preserves.

Grape Jelly

This jelly is simple to make, perfect for a beginner.

Coronation (or Concord) Grape Jelly Recipe

12 cups grapes (stems removed)
1 1/2 cups water
7 cups sugar
1 package pectin

Smash grapes or chop using a food processor. Place into a large pot with the water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Strain grapes using a jelly bag, cheesecloth, chinois, or a fine strainer. I used a strainer. It you seek a crystal clear jelly then using a jelly bag would be the best option. Small bits of the grapes may push through the strainer leaving the jelly slightly cloudy. I like the rustic look (and let’s face it, it’s much less fussy).

Place 5 cups grape juice and pectin into a large pot. Bring to a boil, then slowly stir in sugar. Return mixture to a rolling boil for one minute, then remove from heat. Use a large spoon to skim any froth off the top.

You may now cool or can the jelly at this point. I opted to can 3 pints and had nearly another pint to place in the fridge for immediate use.

biscuit

Fortunately, the grapes yielded about 6 cups of juice so I used the remaining cup juice to make a delicious drink. I added the remaining juice to a pitcher with a few tablespoons of sugar and enough water to dilute to the desired taste.

• Chinya September 24, 2010, 2:59 pm

Wow, this looks delicious and you make it sound so easy, thanks. The cost of the jelly straining baggy thingy alone is enough to make me use a strainer…I like things rustic too. : )

• bellini valli September 24, 2010, 5:29 pm

Coronation grapes are rampant at the farmers markets right now!!

• Dianne Jacob September 26, 2010, 1:16 pm

Just came back from a food and wine writers conference in the Okanagan, where we learned that the Coronation grape was bred in Summerland. We got to taste a few right off the vine, warming in the sun. What an unforgettable sweet flavor burst!

If you have any more you might want to try a galette – we ate a superb one from the Penticton farmer’s market, from Joy Road Catering. Or maybe use the jam to make a crostata? That sounds good too. Your jam must be extremely flavorful, based on the taste of that grape.

• Dede/wvhomecanner September 26, 2010, 1:37 pm

Beautiful grapes! For the easiest ever juice for jelly, check into a steam juicer. It’s amazingly easy. I am steam juicing roma tomatoes right now for tomato stock and tomato sauce the easy way :)

• SallyK September 26, 2010, 3:16 pm

This is the first year I canned, first thing I made was grape jam. Such a delicious way to prolong the flavor of late summer!

• Emily September 27, 2010, 6:47 am

What kind of pectin did you use? Liquid or powdered? If liquid, one package or one pouch? I want to start making jelly using fruit instead of wine or peppers, but I’m not brave enough yet!

• Hannah September 29, 2010, 5:10 pm

mmm, looks so delicious! if i wanted to make the jelly a little chunky could i put some of the the grape pulp back in to the jelly? could you do a post on canning for us too? :D

• Jenn from Much to My Delight September 30, 2010, 5:22 pm

Are you seriously telling me you made homemade grape jelly?! That is tremendous! I can’t even imagine how much better that must taste than Smucker’s.

• Allen September 30, 2010, 6:37 pm

I am proud of my jelly, even though it’s a very basic recipe. It tastes so much better than store bought jelly! Then again, maybe it’s just my biased viewpoint.

Emily: as for the pectin, I used powdered (sorry, don’t remember brand name). The package was a small box like the size of a box of jell-o.

Hannah: I certainly think you could add some of the pulp back into the mix. It would then be more jam-like instead of jelly … but I’m not a stickler for labels ;-) I bet the added texture would be good!

• Emily October 4, 2010, 2:20 pm

Thanks, Allen! I’ve got an order for honey bourbon jelly to fill, so since I’ll already be making jelly that would be a perfect time to try making yours!

FYI: I forgot that I HAVE done fruit before, but it was marmalade (from one of your posts), so I guess that counts!