Festive Deviled Eggs Appetizer Recipe

We visited my parents farm in Michigan for the week of Christmas and my mother made an insane amount of candy, snacks, and desserts. She made many family favorites and tried a few new recipes as well, including pickled eggs!

Although pickled eggs may not sound appetizing, the eggs were delicious and vibrant. I felt inspired to take the pickled eggs one step further and made them into festive deviled eggs for a New Year’s party.

The pickled eggs are nothing more than boiled eggs which have been peeled and soaked in pickled beet juice. Refrigerate for 24 hours to achieve a fully colored egg white. If you leave them to soak longer, it’s ok but you may risk having the egg yolks staining with the red color too.

I used a dozen eggs and two cans of beets. I placed the drained beets in a bowl for eating throughout the week and placed the juice into a jar. After peeling and cooling the boiled eggs, I plopped them into the jar and added a little water so the eggs were completely covered. Cover and store in the refrigerator.

The flavor is subtle and not overpowering at all. The main benefit here is the bright red color of the eggs. I decided to make the pickled eggs into deviled eggs for a New Year’s party we were attending. I didn’t know anyone at the party (they were all Joe’s friends) so I figured the eggs would make for a fun conversation starter. And, they did!

Pickled Deviled Eggs Recipe

1 dozen pickled eggs, cut in half
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
1 green onion (green only), minced finely
salt and pepper to taste

Place all of the eggs yolks into a boil and mash finely with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and mix until fully combined.

Place the mix into a plastic bag and snip the corner with a pair of scissors. Use this bag to pipe the egg mixture into the cavity of egg boiled egg. As you can see, I’m not terribly consistent with my piping.

Everyone at the party loved the appetizer and the eggs were certainly a conversation starter!

• Joan January 6, 2011, 9:28 am

What a great idea! I’ve eaten pickled eggs since I was a child but never thought about using them for deviled eggs! Thanks!

• Stephanie January 6, 2011, 10:14 am

What a unique twist on deviled eggs! I’ve been hearing lots about natural food dyes, and this definitely makes the mark. I’m so gonna experiment with these soon!

• kat January 6, 2011, 11:52 am

Oh man these make me think of the pink Koolickle eggs we had at a friends birthday party! I think the pickled part was good but the kool-aid part a bit sweet

• Allen Williams January 6, 2011, 3:13 pm

Joan and Stephanie — I hope you give them a try, you’ll certainly surprise your dinner guests ;-)

Kat – I had to google koolickles — what a fun treat!

I normally discard my pickled beet juice once the beets are in my belly, so this is a good use for it moving forward.

I should note that if anyone is unable to find pickled beets at your grocery store, the next best thing is to buy canned baby beets. You can add a bit of vinegar and sugar to the beet juice to create a delicious pickling brine. You can make it as sweet or tart as you like ;-)

• lisaiscooking January 9, 2011, 1:03 pm

I love the color of these! I also love deviled eggs and beets, so I’m completely on board. The sriracha in the deviled eggs sounds great too.

• Jess January 12, 2011, 3:42 pm

Wowwza! I’m loving the color on those things! Jess :

• The Redhead Riter January 12, 2011, 8:40 pm

This is such a cool idea! I think the eggs are so pretty
    and deviled eggs are on of my favorites anyway. Love the picture!
    It sold me!

• Lisa@ButteryBooks January 14, 2011, 2:41 pm

Those purple eggs would be perfect for a Mardi Gras party.